Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the Worst of a Good Friday: The Late Late Show-Friday 15th April 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

How are ratings calculated these days for broadcast technology ?

Are they fair and unbiased ?

I'd imagine not.

It's like you get to elect a politician every few years but you have to pay for the rte dictators.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Apparently from 1000 panel homes but we're said homes are , I don't know but I've also been suspicious of ratings figures and in particular Irish TV ratings , little of it makes an sense .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Yep, I think RTE need to explain to their license payers regarding this. Otherwise it's a sham.

I believe its done ( "Independently ") of broadcasters but given the figures used to partially justify some eye watering and tax payer funded salaries and Fee's, I agree more scrutiny is required.

The great firewall of Montrose.

• Advertisement

• As a child/teen I used to be perplexed by the technology. I mean my parents told me statistics were taken about what people viewed from some device attached to the televisions of some several hundred people to get a popularity score on various programs. My mind wondered at the shape & appearance of this device and how data was drawn from it. I mean did a person call to the door, look at the thing and take notes, pre cable television. Or was it only after cable television when the data would have gone via the cable?

I remember so well when cable TV came in. Our house was closest to the mast & our rear garden wall viewed as the best conduit for the cable for very many of our neighbours in suburbia. My parents made a bargain that to allow the cable to be run that we would get a discount from NTL for.as many years as they were the service providers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's also so lazy 'oh an actress aged 30 playing a teen character. I know, let's ask her what age is she. And then when she tells me, I will say ooh, you look so young. And there's her compliment.' 🙄

I know nothing about Derry Girls, never watched it, but seriously, was there not something with a tiny bit of originality that he could put on his cue cards?

It's like the time he had Boyzone on and produced that ancient clip that everyone is sick to death of, and Shane Lynch was really annoyed and told him so - in no uncertain terms, I believe. Again, pure lazy on behalf of the host. I could nearly imagine him thinking 'eureka (while probably pointing in the air) I know what I will ask them about. What a hoot that will be.' 🙄

And for this he is paid a ridiculous astronomical salary while RTE play the poor mouth. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That being the 'top' story on the Rte website shows how 'supported' Tubridy is- in the organization, I mean, not real life. He's been doing the hosting 'thing' for 20 years (keep in mind he had a show before this, Tubridy Tonight). And two stints on the Rose of Tralee, so yea, 20 years.

Still manages to be a total amateur.

But they tried to make it like 'she' was the problem. The entire interview took up barely 6 or 7 minutes. Once he crashed it, it wasn't possible to pull it back. Just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So next week maybe interview the Middle Aged Offenders lads?

My sense is he'll play it safe next week, perhaps interview himself 🤔

Perhaps play a prolonged Video montage with accompanying patronising monologue tracing the history of his apparent brilliance over the past twenty Gruelling (for viewers) years of his broadcasting prowess in order to deflect and remind the nation how lucky we are to have him 🤔

It's also possible, his Bitterness and petulance over the shocking reaction to his stupidity, arrogance and moronic performance last week all across social and print media will have consumed him to such an extent he'll retaliate and subject the nation to another Country and Western special 🤔

Troubling times ahead I fear folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

She was a wagon the way she overreacted to a pointless question. However the way he reacted to this was pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,432 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Not sure how reliable the ratings figures are. But even going by RTE's own published figures for 2021, the LLS is not faring so great. Only three shows in the entire year pulled in more than 440K viewers (one being of course the Toy show).

Bear in mind a significant part of this calendar year was spent with the entire country in 5km lockdown and people were watching a lot more TV than normal, so those are not very impressive figures.

I think LLS is on borrowed time really, there's a certain generation of older viewers who will stay loyal but that can only last for so long. They cut the running time by about 30 mins. in recent months which highlights the format just doesn't work, nor do they have the quality of interesting guests. They should really have gone further and cut it to maximum 1hr 20 mins, they simply have too much filler and can't meet the near 2 hours run time.

Friday's show was hopeless and full of so much filler; talking to Ukranians and Tubs moralizing about the horrors of the war (as if anyone needs that lecture), McAleese and Luke O'Neill waffling on with the same old repetition, and yet another Country & Irish segment. Really bad.

The only interview of any substance was the actress from Derry Girls and Tubs made a complete mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• The halcyon days of Hollywood stars and A list celebrities appearing on LLS are long gone. These times they search not much further than the Montrose canteen for guests, and they are recycled ad nauseam.

In fact you could invent a guessing game/ card game where a pack of bingo cards representing the gamut of LLS guests is shuffled and 3 picked out each week. Whoever gets the closest card combo to the actual guests wins.

Any A list celebs are invariably interviewed remotely, pre-recorded, which takes away from the point of watching a live show where there is the hook element of “anything could happen” during the interview.

Maybe if it were a monthly very well curated big show, big on entertainment & anticipation, with the surprise element, it would be a greater success. And not with Tubridy at the helm. Maybe someone like Sarah McInerney, could be co-hosted with likes of John Creedon.

• Ryan Tubridy likes to put himself in the limelight by singing diets etc and performing in the Toy Show. Maybe he should be given his own niche regular show where he performs alongside others, with clips of travelling around Ireland and interviewing people in bookstores, antique shops etc. Maybe something like Mike Murphy would have been doing back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Late Late Show Segements 2021/2022: 116

Friends of RTE: 29 (25%)

Sport: 11 (9%)

Music: 11 (9%)

Misery (Illness / death): 26 (22%)

Other: 39 (34%)

*Bonus* Toy Show mention: 10/26 (38%) - lost track of this tbh.

Special Episodes:

1 - Geldof Birthday (463,000 viewers)

2 - Toy Show (1,560,000 viewers)

3 - A song for Europe (455,000 viewers, down 57,000 on the previous week)

4 - Saint Valantines' day special (353,000 viewers)

5 - Marion Keys eulogy (382,000 viewers)

6 - Ukraine fundraising (451,000 viewers)

7 - Ukraine II (403,000 viewers)

8 - Saint Patrick's day (446,000 viewers)

9 - Daffodil day cancer special  (419,000 viewers)

01/04 - Pre climb (390,000 viewers)

08/04 - (362,000 viewers)

Low points: Olympic sport segments, Billy Connolly, Mario Rosenstock, Irelands Call, Marion Keys, Late Late Show award to the Ukrainian people, agressive defense vs Jamie-Lee O'Donnell.

High Points: Geldof Birthday, Lyra, Lisa Fallon, Karen Weekes transatlantic rower.

Ryan Tubridy second year in a row: "Better days are ahead, mark my words"

Riffin' Ryan's analysis of "Belfast": "To shake hands with the ghost of your old childhood."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭Archeron

While The Hobbidy Top Trumps card is without doubt the most powerful, it can be taken with a brave call on charisma in battle.

• My mother died aged 89 in 2009; when Tubridy Tonight appeared on the television she would call down the hall to “Your beautiful Bryan is on now, I know you fancy the pants off him!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭sully123

• Ryan will be taking another holiday soon I’m guessing.

• Advertisement

Thank god, he's not pointing, so to speak 😏

• I had to photoshop the big pointing device out

Surely it wouldn't have been that big 🤔, pointing device, so to speak 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

And he likely got the gig from nepotism, as a lot of them have. Why do we put up with this nonsense!?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I can get the whiff of his sweaty balls just looking at the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,145 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was that actress Denise Gough in the audience?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Had to google it there- Marian Keyes eulogy? Had to check she wasn't dead.

Don't forget the moment he did a show where he did eulogies for people who died from Covid that week. He was quickly told, by the audience, to 'Shut the hell up, you idiot!!!', and this was the opener to the show. It was followed up by stories of depression, and suicide. Just misery all around.

I'm suspicious of the Toy Show numbers, we know they've inflated them before. Counting 'viewers from across the globe' to inflate the numbers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭RoTelly

They might inflate their online number but TAM Ireland calculate the live Irish audience. Which they then add the +1 figures to and the repeats !

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Advertisement