Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't Irish people befriend foreigners?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

There's no motive or sinister insinuations at all on my part. It's just something I've noticed over the years. I'm not a man either.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gladvimpaker

Maybe calling people lifelong friends is better.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

My own experience from both sides ( moving to a new country and being here with some non-nationals)

Coming into a new country, first thing I did was find a few people from " back home" as we spoken the same, looked the same, acted the same and in some cases knew the same people. It made me living away a bit easier, and then to be fair being white Irish we were not exactly welcomed with open arms by the locals.

My experience here, I did try to hang out with a Latvian guy I worked with, really sound and he and I are still good friends, but when he brought me to a group of his home friends, they didn't make an effort to speak English despite him telling them to, didn't speak much about anything in Ireland.

I suppose it could have been me also, but looking at what makes a friend a friend, it is usually shared experiences over time, so hard to get when you just arrive and have no real common interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Spend some time living abroad; it's the same everywhere. If you think that people who slight you or don't want to be your friend, have a superiority complex, you're setting yourself up for a horrid experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mad there's still talk about this, when the answer was given early on in the thread.

In general it's difficult in Ireland - especially as a man - to make new friends once you've left college. People have their friend groups from school and college and tend to stick with them. Work colleagues are work colleagues, you see them in work and for after-work parties, but you don't text them randomly on a Saturday to go out for beers.

Any new friends tend to be made through existing friends rather than out of entirely new groups.

And since most people over 30 have few "foreign" friends from school or college, this makes it appear like they're inaccessible to foreigners. When the reality is that they're just as inaccessible to other Irish people too.

Even when you get to the point of having kids, it's rare to get past the "our kids are friends, and we'll talk superficially but that's about it" level.

I'm Irish and posted about what I've observed about some people's attitudes towards "foreigners". I did say it in a later post that it was likely to be observed the world over.

I'm not sure why you've taken such an issue, do you genuinely believe that all Irish people welcome immigrants, and that none have negative preconceptions of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Birds of a feather, flock together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

OP, I don't think it is that unusual. When you go away it is easier to make friends with other people who are foreign to that place than locals because the foreigners are also looking to make friends whereas the locals might be already in a social circle. I lived abroad for years and the friends I made there were neither Irish nor "natives". They were other "foreigners" to that place

You will find Irish people but it will just take a bit more time.

The OP could offer to take both of them. I'm sure both your friends would be delighted. They'd still have you over for birthdays and celebrations etc.

I suppose they'd have to keep contact with you anyways even if they befriended the OP, what with you being their only child and all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭gluppers

From my experience Irish men are better at befriending foreigners compared to Irish women

Are you always this waspish when somebody challenges your opinion?

I'm not waspish, I'm just genuinely surprised you haven't seen this attitude towards non-Irish nationals at all.

ETA: Well, I can only presume you haven't as you didn't answer the question.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have never once heard a friend, acquaintance, or colleague either in Ireland or in a decade living abroad, state that they refuse to be friends with foreigners because they see them as lesser. Indifference or disinterest, absolutely. Sense of superiority as a motivating factor, never.

If this is something you've experienced, you may need to reconsider the circles in which you mix.

I've seen this in shops and garages, you can see how some people treat non-Irish nationals differently compared to Irish staff.

Nothing to do with my social circle and "having a sinister ulterior motive".

I doubt I'm the only one to have observed this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭thefallingman

Yes i'd agree with you leg end they are treated differently, call it covert racism or just ignorance but it happens for sure, same as it happened me in Australia with the paddy and mick nicknames ect. I also agreed with the post above stating it could get worse with some of our imported friends murdering people, i know plenty of women that will only get in a taxi for example with the traditional looking irish taxi driver

Did you report this egregious and discriminatory behavior that you witnessed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 ardatr

Hello everyone again!

First of all, thanks for your all suggestions. I try to be more interested in Irish culture. I'm looking for an acapella choir I can sing. Also let me give a little information: Turkey is a secular country and we can freely drink alcohol in Turkey. :) Altough we look like a Middle Eastern country from the outside, we are quite advanced compared to many European countries. There are European countries with which we have very close ties in history, especially Germany. Our harmonization process with Europe still continues in many areas. We only have a minor problem of government party, who dare mix religion with state affairs. But it won't take long, Turkish people understood the value of the Republic and secularism better than it had ever before in its history. But anyway, that's another matter !

I really enjoy being in Ireland. I guess what I need is to be in a choir. I was conducting a polyphonic choir in Turkey. I am also very interested in literature. I have two published books. Maybe if I improve my English a little more, I can even find a writer's club! I'm sure I can belong somewhere. And I will meet wonderful people.

Thanks for all your help.

OP, you sound like a nice person. I'm sure you'll find your tribe eventually. It just takes time in a new country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I have seen that, but the people doing this are the low intelligence people. The likes of people who have never lived outside the country in their life, and can't comprend people to expand their horizons .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

People are busy with their own lives they don't need to make a new social circle. People in a location where they don't know many people will stick together and form a new social group as you have done. An Irish person moving to another country will do the same thing.

Go to any country in the world and you will find this. It's not an Irish thing. It's just human nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cultural differences is part of it.. nothing in common in lots of cases…

Don't think it has anything to do with Ireland. It's the same everywhere. It even happens in expat communities where long-termers only befriend other long-termers.

Yeah, but that's because it gets tiresome making new friends only to have them leave after a year or two. You quickly come to realise that few people stay in a foreign place for extended periods with most leaving to try somewhere else, or go home. It's annoying to sift through the nutjobs, and scammers to find decent friends, only for them to leave while you remain in that foreign place.

Making friends with foreigners is different. Culture plays a strong role, as does language. Even when the foreigner speaks your language or you theirs, there is often a comprehension gap which makes relaxed friendship based on trust, more than a little difficult. However, culture is the defining point. Peoples personal values are generally defined by the culture they grew up in. The social conditioning we received tends to shape us and our perspectives, and that generates friction with others.

I have one American friend, because I find most Americans to have a superiority complex, and generally arrogant without cause for it. It tends to bug me. Even the American friend I have is annoying sometimes, and I have to rein back my desire to set him straight on a wide variety of issues or beliefs. However, he's a good guy. Most of the time.

We make allowances for those we choose to become friends with, but after a while, we realise kinda quickly that more allowances need to be extended to foreign groups. Still... I think it comes down to your own personality, and what you're willing to put up with. Most of my friends are foreign, with very few being Irish. Different priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,509 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

The difference is if you were in another country everyone including the Irish you know would be all foreigners.

It's just the nature of traveling somewhere else. Once you're traveling or working in another country your attitude to everything else is different.

Advertisement