Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In 2020 23.2% of the prison population in this country were non Irish.

the % of non Irish living here is about 12%.

Spent the afternoon yesterday helping out some folks with filling in forms to get them on the road to the their stamp 4 and on the path towards Irish citizenship.

A day well spent.

They've been hesitant due to the fear of the authorities but everyone they know has gotten letters saying they are getting their stamps so these folk changed their minds and started the application process.

As the word spreads I'm guessing there will be a large influx of additional applications.

Hopefully I get a chance to help out a few more with their forms.

Such an abundance of happiness in the house yesterday, these folks can't wait to get regularised.

I emailed a couple of the smaller churches/mosques that are dotted around to offer my assistance. With any luck I'll be kept busy helping more apply ☺️

Was half thinking of putting ads up in some of the Asian/African /Brazilian shops too, the more the merrier I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If ya want proof of agendas in media just look at how quiet Richard Chambers was on the topic. Just reposts of some services and of a football team holding lgbt flag but nothing about the incident. Usually he is right in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Without context though, those statistics are as meaningless as “100% of convicted rapists are men”, or “1 in 4 homeless people are women”, that last one being a particularly good example of how statistics can be used to make statements that are purposely misleading. The over-representation of certain groups in certain contexts often forms the basis for misleading statements, and the over-representation of minority groups among incarcerated populations is no different -

To conclude, both institutionalised racism (targeted policing and the media), and structural factors (inequality, liberal welfare states, neoliberalism and retributivist approach to crime) explain the overrepresentation of certain groups in some criminal justice systems (multi-causal). Risk factors, however, vary according to the different criminal justice systems in different countries. The actual definition of a crime also depends on the country and time (e.g. criminalising adultery). It is an error to consider the human being as naturally inclined to committing criminal offences – a racist or sexist approach because the is no scientific evidence that men, or black ethnic minorities are naturally criminals. This essay suggests that systematic overrepresentation of certain groups is more structural, a collective fate for ethnic minorities (holistic approach) in individualistic societies, rather than the agency (methodological individualism) or biology of these individuals. More policing is not needed, but provision of good public services, infrastructures and opportunities (inclusionary dynamics).

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/lseupr/2018/01/25/overrepresentation-in-criminal-justice-systems/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

It should mean deportation immediately upon release like the US does.

Why do you feel you need updates on a criminal investigation from the gardai?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Incarcerate them first though -

Private entities engaged in the detention industry have profited from changes to immigration policy that propel the rate of incarceration. Entering the United States unlawfully used to be treated as a civil offense (i.e., a crime that was dealt with through our federal immigration system). Today, the Department of Justice (DOJ) prosecutes immigration-related offenses more than any other federal crime—as of 2013, of all of the federal criminal cases filed by the DOJ, nearly 40 percent were immigration-related offenses, including unauthorized entry into the U.S. An unauthorized entrant will be processed first through the criminal justice system, where he or she will be convicted and serve a federal prison sentence, and then he or she will be turned over to ICE custody and can be held in immigration detention, serving a de facto second sentence.

The relationship between private prison companies and mass incarceration is symbiotic. Mass incarceration fuels the proliferation of for-profit prisons while for-profit prison corporations encourage policies that increase the number of people behind bars. For this cycle of rapid expansion to end, public policy must address both the push to incarcerate and the expansion of private prisons.

These lengthy, double sentences result in increased profits for the private corporations that run criminal jails and prisons, and civil detention centers. Thousands of immigrants are held in and shuffled through this complex network of prisons throughout the U.S.

https://www.afsc.org/resource/how-profit-prison-corporations-shape-immigrant-detention-and-deportation-policies

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Freight bandit

"Azrag says he didn’t choose Ireland, he just wanted to get to Europe and ended up here. He arrived into where he thinks was Rosslare harbour in December 2008"

Good ol Sorcha, would swallow a brick sideways if it made for another good new to the parish. Real investigative journalism here, I wonder how many direct ferries from Sudan to Rosslare...

So you would deport an Irish person who was born in the UK because they didn't pay a few fines?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And the real funny thing is there is not one real mention of that in the mainstream Irish media.

We have programs on RTE about how we need to be really careful about homophobia in our society, but not a single mention of the fact that a lot of the ones imported into this country over the last 20 years are coming from deeply homophobic backgrounds.

Do the fookers in RTE have a brain cell or a set of balls between them.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Neither of which have opened their own home to refugees. Easier talk big and do nothing, like most of the people supporting the current government ‘plan’. People support these initiatives until they get the bill and are negatively impacted by it then attitudes flip.

Its an awful pity that some more of the posters on here don't have a few friends or family that might open their minds to something other then their own insular thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If someone finds Ireland and Irish people not to their liking then why don't they just fook off and do us all a favour ?

This is something that always bemuses me with the constant coverage about DP conditions - especially when those complaining are already here several years.

It's not a prison camp... nothing stopping them going home/trying their luck elsewhere! I'd be happy to pay extra taxes to directly fund that and deportations of rejected applicants generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

• Advertisement

I will freely admit, again, to assisting folks who arrived here illegally. I have previously posted that I know many going through the process. I have also posted evidence of some of them getting their letters saying they are now legal.

Why you feel the need to make a personal attack because I don't subscribe to the xenophobic diatribe around here, well, that says more about you than me. Either way it makes little difference to me, I'll be happily helping out a few more folks to gain legal status regardless.

TBH I've never really understood the expectation that AS should be permanent... surely, once you've been set up with an income, and a place to live, you'd be able to head off elsewhere under your own steam, like any other migrant? The only scenario I can think of is when you're in actual fear of some shady organisation or nation, but realistically speaking, what protections from them are you getting from living in Ireland? It's not exactly witness protection.

Like the gay lads coming to Ireland because they're persecuted in SA... does Ireland really need to provide Asylum for them? Doesn't sound like a real motive for claiming asylum. I always wonder at the reasons behind a lot of these AS claims. Do they really need to be granted Asylum, or shouldn't they be treated as migrants that just need an initial start to get set up?

So, shouldn't there be a suggestion of a limit on AS in terms of how long it lasts, cause I've never really seen that anywhere. Has anyone else seen something? Oddly enough, three years in DP would likely shake off anyone that was pursuing you.. and give you the time to get some educational qualifications online. Why would Ireland need to provide more... ?

I dunno. It sounds too much like an excuse to justify more immigration. Yes, there are some definite and obvious cases for asylum.. but as with the term racism, have we (perhaps) lost sight of what the word and practical implications refer to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It really goes to show ya, the state of mind of a lot of the people in this country.

Someone got murdered a few months ago and everyone assumed in their heads the murderer was Irish. We had twitter run up a frenzy telling us men were to blame...telling us we need to talk to our brothers....telling us it needs to be fixed in primary schools...

Then the identity was revealed...and it turns out that things like education in primary schools wouldn't have mattered a jot!

A catchy phrase that gained popularity was..."it's not all men, but it's always men"...I'd like to see the reaction to twitter if any other group was categorised like this.

Not all men =

Not all [insert group here] = ✔️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

It went from "We need to talk to our father's, brothers, sons, uncles" to "The National Party and the Far Right will have a field day with this. Don't let the Racist bigots prevail."

There is a limit on asylum seekers.

It lasts until a decision is made on their application.

Human rights violations in their.own country is a legitimate reason to seek asylum elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I don't know bubbly. But there is a mistaken belief that we have Open Borders in Ireland.

We quite clearly don't. What we do have is a problem with enforcement of our asylum laws, particularly around deportation of failed Asylum Seekers.

The asylum system really should be very much quicker. A few months at most. There wouldn't be an issue with DP if it was genuinely only a few months. People also seen to think there has to be two gardai physically removing one person from the state, there doesn't, people leave (& yes, some people don't)

if people hold a mistaken belief, then that is their own fault really, they should educate themselves.

Who believes we have open borders in Ireland? One or two posters, perhaps?

As for Bubbly's claim, there is no limit for numbers on AS (a simple google search shows the lack of any such limit, otherwise complaints/criticisms would abound). If their claim is approved, they're in, and then, they renew their status every three years. Its as simple as that. But there is no limit on numbers, either in total or over any particular period. Nor, is there any requirement to shift from AS status to another more common status such as a working visa, or temporary residency, after a certain period. It entirely depends on their interview/negotiations with the public service.

As for the open borders vs deportation aspect.. we do have problems with immigration policies being too lax in certain areas (not just deportations), and the ability of certain groups, including our politicians, to bypass those requirements. That's why people make claims about open borders.

You're incorrect - it'll make a HUGE difference to you and everyone else in the fullness of time - including the illegals you're helping to get rewarded for breaking our laws... not something I'd be proudly thumping my chest over myself, but howandever...

I am not talking 30/40/50 years either. We're already starting to see the problems with "feelz good" policy-making on this issue in certain parts of North Dublin, the greater Blanchardstown area and elsewhere, and these problems will be increased by adding still more people who clearly have no respect for our laws, our citizens, or our country as it is (except merely as a teat to feed on). Speaking of feeding on, these policies always gloss over or outright ignore how such fantasies are to be actually sustained and paid for - beyond the "can't someone else do it?"/Magic Money Tree of course!

As for the "personal attack", it's always funny how the "virtuous" cry foul when called out, yet have no problem levelling phrases like "xenophobic diatribe", "racists", or whatever other -ist or -phobe is in vogue on Twitter this week (side note: I REALLY miss :rolleyes: from this disaster of a new site), but I find it's generally because they simply CAN'T articulate their reasoning beyond the aforementioned "feelz" emotion-driven arguments.

As for the "personal attack", it's always funny how the "virtuous" cry foul when called out, yet have no problem levelling phrases like "xenophobic diatribe", "racists", or whatever other -ist or -phobe is in vogue on Twitter this week (side note: I RELLY miss :rolleyes: from this disaster of a new site), but I find it's generally because they simply CAN'T articulate their reasoning beyond the aforementioned "feelz" emotion-driven arguments.

Spot on. 👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,882 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

So in effect if one was to believe you are supposedly an accomplice to those who break our laws… haha

so I don’t think people will now take anything you say (if they ever did) on this subject with any level of interest or seriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mr.KarateII

If we do have problems with the enforcement of our asylum laws and generally little to no interest in deporting failed Asylum Seekers then for all intents and purposes we do have Open Borders in Ireland.

Much appreciated!

Anything else to add, or are you happy to just prove my last point for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Mate of mine had to get a taxi both directions once. Some kind of rail strike was on. Such an easy way to travel between the two cities when the train is running though.

• Advertisement

Did you have a point? I honestly couldn't tell

I never claimed there was a limit on numbers. If you're going to quote from other people, you should read their posts.

What problems are we seeing in Blanchardstown?

As an example, do you not recall the "event" there last year with the Garda ARU and a knife-wielding attacker, and the aftermath of aggressive marching through Blanch SC, and people being attacked in and around the area?

I'll grant you that it wasn't properly reported on by the likes of RTE, but there's plenty of footage of it elsewhere - much if it was posted on this very site at the time as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Down from 25% in 2019 and, for a more extreme end of the scale, 33.6% percent in 2007.

For balance (which very few people like to show around here), it was as low as 15% in 2015, although the prison population now is a third of what it was back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Lets hope none of your "folks" end up on the news like so many we've had recently.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is such a weird post.

You sound so bitter that someone is trying to help people become Irish citizens like it’s such a terrible thing.

Indeed, issues like female-on-male domestic violence (which can be just as violent and/or more psychological in nature) never seems to get the same level of coverage on Twitter or elsewhere. Or how single fathers are often treated, not just by the mothers of their kids, but the courts and "system" generally etc etc

Imagine the outcry that would ensue if men were advised to cross the road when they see a woman coming towards them.

• Advertisement

"Helping illegals who have no respect for our laws, citizens or country be rewarded for their actions" would be a more accurate description!

On the contrary, I don't need to hear about these things in the news.

I'm not sure how you can say we are seeing so many problems in Blanchardstown, and then recall one incident? You do know gardai have had to shoot other people?

There were no other people being attacked in the area in relation to this incident.

So, what problems are we seeing?

How many times do we have to restart the discussion of this thread ?

Mass influx of people into a small country that cant handle the population increase especially when its being driven/supported by people that display nothing but disdain for the people already here is not good for Ireland. But I'm starting to think that the point.

It was ONE example - there are other reports of gangs out that way trying to copy London gangs and attacks, although most of it doesn't make it to RTE or the MSM (except maybe in vague terms when it comes to the perpetrators) because of fear of being "racist"

There most certainly were others attacked during that incident, including a woman and her son outside a petrol station (with Gardai being attacked at the same location), a security guard in the Centre, an entire shop held hostage by protestors for a time, and even an innocent Dublin Bus got a kicking..

A quick google will show that as would the very long thread that was here on that topic (if you can find it on this site anymore), but I'm sure you know all this despite the above post.

Gardai were not assaulted as a result of this incident. I did hear about a bit of aggro at the shop alright, nothing that doesn't happen regularly in Dublin unfortunately.

'There are reports of gangs out that way trying to copy London gangs and attacks'

Really? Are there? What attacks and where exactly are you seeing these reports?

Never mind your msm afraid of being racist, that's just complete rubbish

Sure wasn't there millions more on the island before the famine, it'll be grand, loads of space. Ireland has been, and will continue to be be, better for opening up to foreign nationals, regardless of where they come from or why they are here

• Advertisement

Here's a link for you - video doesn't play for me, but that might just be my popup blocker.

Again, if you want to, feel free to dig out the Boards thread where lots of posters were posting video from Twitter etc of events on the day.

gardai were not assaulted in relation to the incident, nor does the article you link claim that they were. Gardai take this **** everyday all over the country. Pity people are not so supportive usually.

There are no problems in Blanchardstown now, that are any different to incidents there or anywhere else in the city.

I don't need to find the thread, I was in it at the time.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Cordell

You realize those millions more were is such a precarious situation that something that had little effect on mainland Europe resulted in a famine that eventually caused Ireland to lose half of its population?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There is this odd gra for more people and not just in Ireland and of course with the multiculuralists the more exotic the better. Reasons given are things like pensions and lower birth rates. Given Ireland has one of the highest birthrates in the EU... But it's more about more consumers and of course the politic of "multiculturalism", with a large sideorder of saying stuff like what you quoted as a baiting exercise as true believers in this politic are quite convinced that anyone who questions their credo is a far right nazi ready with bedsheets and burning crosses. The "regardless of where or why they are here" the sugar on top. Even if they're utter wasters and a drain on a society sure no bother.

As for the "before the famine" ballsology, yep there were more people and it was also one of the poorest nations in Europe and had almost no wilderness left. And the famine showed how vulnerable it was. I would argue and ignoring the multicultural politic entirely, that what nations and the world and environment needs is fewer people, not more. The single biggest thing anyone can do for the environment is have one fewer child. But like so called "open borders", "mooore people" is where the Left(who are also more likely to be environmentalists) and the Capitalists(who are more likely to be not) agree to be strange bedfellows.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
Advertisement