Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Seems to be the same team as Tokyo Mirage Sessions which I thought was aggressively mediocre in a lot of ways. Still there was enough in it that I enjoyed that I would try another game from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Anyone pick up Triangle Strategy? Been tipping away on the demo and enjoying it so far but only had one battle. Lot of narrative at the start but I believe it picks up after that. Setting things up for a nice bit of political intrigue and seems polar opposite of Octopath in terms of story and connections between characters which is good.

Tempted to pick it up but noticing the same thing as with SMTV in Irish shops. Was only released Friday and Smyths no longer have delivery and only have a handful for click and collect. Gamestop no stock and Argos a waste of time these days. It seems Amazon is your only option for anything other than big releases these days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So along with remastering the Chrono cross soundtrack, Mitsuda has recorded some new music and a music video for one of them.

It's a fantastic song and it's filmed in Leitrim/Donegal with my beloved benbulbin. I miss living in sligo:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The chrono cross hd remaster is out tomorrow, never played it, is it worth a look ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I bounced off it hard back in the day when I got a bit lost and didn't know gamefaqs existed. It's weird and interesting enough that I want to give it a go. I heard it described as a terrible chrono trigger sequel but a great game although it has it's detractors. I'll definitely be trying it again.

Radical Dreamers which is kind of included as a bonus game, is a pile of arse.

• Advertisement

Tactics Ogre Reborn trademarked in Japan.

Looks like the rerelease revealed in the Nvidia leak is coming.

Have you tried Triangle Strategy. I've never played Tactics Ogre but it seems to be compared to it quite a bit in terms of gameplay. I'm really enjoying it so far. Dialogue can be a bit wooden but battles are great

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is TS anything like Fire Emblem? a lot more hardcore is it ?

Wouldn't say more hard-core but I'm finding it more tactical. Using terrain to your advantage is much more of a feature in TS. Turn order works on initiative based on speed, I think, whereas the FE games I've played are all phase based. There's also a lot more use of elements, like freezing the ground to slow enemies down, you can make ice walls to block paths and use oil and fire combos. TS also has much less a focus on developing your team into different classes. Each character has their own class and you promote within that class. So a mounted character will start out as a mounted character and always be mounted as you level them.

Story wise it's got a Game of Thrones kind of vibe with a lot of political intrigue and betrayal. Lot of exposition between battles and there's a phase before each battle where you can gather Intel and scope out battlefield terrain advantages.

Ive heard it's good but the dialogue kills the pace. Tactics ogre from what I played had a good balance of dialogue and the writing is of a very high quality.

Ive been wanting to play tactics ogre for years so I'll probably wait for this to come out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

After downloading it in 2016, playing the intro briefly in 2018, then on and off since 2020, I have at last reached the end of Tales of Symphonia. There will be no encore!

Been trying to get better at seeing the end credits roll on games I start since what gaming life I have is largely dominated by Assassin's Creed these days, the paralysis of choice is irksome, and my younger self would be appalled at the lack of focus on his favourite genre. (He'd side-eye peeps calling the new AC games RPGs too.) So in the past couple of years or so I've finished Suikoden III, FF1, Dragons Quest I through III. Most of those are short, sure, but I'm flying through them in comparison with the before times.

Ridley obtained the title of "Casual Gamer"

On this day, never forget, that chu chu died for our sins.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

29 July.

I'm not even finished Elden Ring. When am I going to play all my other games?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Finally finished Octopath Traveler last night. The stress of the final boss battles as the game does not provide a save point after a certain point of no return!!!

A good game though. I really liked the battle and the job/associated skills systems which were straightforward but provided a fair bit of nuance.

95 and a half hours to do everything so i got my money's worth!! I also like that a crown appears on the title screen when the game has been completed.

However once the final boss(es) are done, while you can roam over the whole map, there is nothing left to do, if like me, all the sidequests have already been completed.

Absolutely amazing that they brought the date forward, cannot wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I just noticed Eiyuden Chronicle Rising is up for preload on gamepass and unlocks in a few days. I’ve high hopes for Eiyuden Chronicle as Suikoden is probably my favourite JRPG series of all time. Not sure about this spin off though, I find it really weird that they’re launching this before the “real” game but I’ll give it a go.

I think it looks really neat and will be a nice taste of what the main game is even if it's a different genre.

I started Cris Tales (Xbone) so I wasn't committing to a lengthy game before Eiyuden Chronicle Rising is out. Read that it was 20 or so hours taking into account the protagonist's slow movement speed beforehand but, boy, the loading times are obscene and the Internet says they used to be worse..?

Luckily the game isn't based around time travel mechanics as that would really draw attention to it and away from the art direction.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to Eiyuden Chronicle Rising, I love side scrollers.

The 5-7/10 reviews for it seem fair. Wouldn't have thought I'd have the patience for its reliance on repetitive fetch quests but largely being able to drop in and out suits my tempo.

I might crack if Hundred Heroes blows up the town though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I've played around 5 or 6 hours I think, just got my third party member. The combat gameplay is simplistic so far and the whole game is literally just repetitive fetch quests one after the other going back and forth between the same few locations. Despite that, it's got a lot of charm, a really nice art style, good music and likeable characters. So even though the story progress is glacial under the mountain of fetch quests, I'm quite enjoying it as a way to chill out in the evening. It's a nice change of pace after a bunch of big open world AAA games I've played through recently.

P3P, P4G and P5R coming to Xbox and PC Game Pass starting with P5R October 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Great news, can't wait to play them again, although I haven't played Golden or Royal just vanilla

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

They're also coming to PS5 and Steam:

It's a shame Switch doesn't seem included for now - whatever about Royal, P3P and P4G seem like a natural fit for the Switch.

I'd say they will come to switch eventually. Sega ain't going to leave that free money on the table.

Indeed, no reason for P3P and P4G not to be on Switch. At least they should be playable easily on the go either on Steam Deck or Xbox Cloud.

Port Persona 1 and Personas 2, cowards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Got a Switch eshop voucher as a birthday present, Digimon was on sale but have enough for something else. Would anyone recommend Shining Resonance or Vesperia?

Just getting over finishing 13 Sentinels hadn't much time for games just a odd bit of Valheim on weekends

Advertisement