Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Electricity Plan for new EV Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭fafy

Its the Day/Night 26% off plan.

Smart plans make zero sense for me, sounds like a total marketing gimick.

I requested my smart meter be changed, to a Day/Night meter, about 10 days ago, the swap over is supposed to happen tomorrow. I have never been on a smart electricity plan, always on a 24 hour tariff.

Cost is about €190. You have to ring your current supplier, who put an order through to ESB Networks. But i rang ESB N, after a few days, to make sure they had received the order from my supplier, and they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Too late now as it's been installed. I assume they won't come back and take it out now free of charge.

Didn't do much research on it myself apart from reading that smart meters were being rolled out across the country, customers benefit from new tarrifs blah blah blah. And getting multiple letters in the post. So as I said, pretty much forced on me.

You would think that, being 'smart', they could just reflect the same day/night plan or and other plan in existence for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Someone on one of the renewable threads confirmed you can get your smart meter switched out. A day night meter is the only job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,426 ✭✭✭✭fits

Except you won’t get REFIT with a day night meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah from some of the FIT plans and resulting import tariffs coming out you'd be better off giving the electricity away for free

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 45,393 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Its actually disgusting what they have done with the smart meters.

I have compared them extensively and there is not one that isnt significantly more expensive than an ordinary day/night plan. We have about 50% of our electricity on night (Night was 6c per kwh for 9 housrs two years ago. Started going up last year. Now its more than double that on the same plan with the discountand going up again).

Sure you can get the EV plan which is cheaper for a few hours only but Jesus, the price you then pay for electricity outside those 3 hours will break you.

And then you have the plans with a free day at the weekend (if you are in to use it - FUP also), and look at the unit rates for any days that arent your free day on that. You'll be losing significantly on that too.

This whole smart meter bull is an effort to make it too confusing to notice the great swindle.

Oh and look at the standing charges too.

Someone I work with says they have to offer the day night plans on the smart meters. There is no good reason not to. Might be worth looking into.

I already asked and they told me i would have to get it swapped out. Then if i ever wanted to get the smart meter back it would cost me €200.

• Advertisement

Well that might be a go-er unless anyone knows of some great value smart plans coming down the line which would make me want to switch back. Which is doubtful.

I did look into it, for the Day/Night plans on EI & Energia, it says clearly, you have to have a day/night meter, in order to avail of the Day/Night meter tarriffs.

Meter swapped out in 5 minutes, some confusion over cost, as Bord Gais told me €190,at point of order, but when i rang up to see about final bill, to double check they seemed unsure.

In any event, have switched over to EI Day/Night 26% off rate plan, ex vat, 20.39/10.06.

Rang Energia & Bord Gais, they were both off those rates, but Bord Gais were way off. Energia agent said they were not aware of the special retention cash back amounts, they said thats with the customer retention department.

EI won’t accept my N26 bank details, called them and they said it has to be an EI Iban, i thought, those days were gone, clearly not !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Ive the day night plan on a digital Meter with energia.

Yes, the newer day/night meters are all now digital meters, or, are you saying you have a “smart meter”, but on a day/night rates.

Night is currently 00:00 to 09:00

(night tarriff applicable for 9 hours)

Day currently is 09:00 to 00:00

EI have accepted my N26 details - I just had to call to get them in.

Reminding them that they're not allowed to ask for an "Irish IBAN", nor have been for a very long time.

I spoke to two different people in EI , on two separate calls,l today, both said the same thing to me, i had the identical scenario with Bord Gais a year ago, eventually got that changed.

The call centre people work off scripts, is there someone in Electric Ireland in Ireland, that i can speak to to get this sorted out, and whats the number ? As the call centre is a bit of a joke, seems to be based in India

I got my appointment today to get the day/night meter installed.

She said there are a huge amount of people doing this over the last week. She said have i checked for a smart meter plan that suited me.

I just said - there are none that are remotely suitable for anyone with a brain. She laughed and said that she was getting hers put back to day/night too and she isnt surprised you have people changing back because the rates just arent transparent or competitive.

Bord Gais originally told me when i ordered the Day/Night meter there would be a charge of €190 odd, however, they have since advised me, when i queried this, that there is no charge, if you have not previously had one, which, is the case for me.

So for others considering day/night, there should only be a charge, only for those who have historically had a day/night meter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭redt0m

Plus, on the free day at the weekend plan, if they see you using a lot of electricity on your free weekend day (which everyone would be doing), they'll put you straight back out on an everyday plan.

There is a fair useage policy i think. Someone posted on here about how they get the car charged and the washing done on a Saturday and they save a fortune. Then someone posted the FUP and also asked them if they never went out on a Saturday, and had they noticed the huge unit rate for every other day. They never answered.

I got the smart meter (it was like I had no choice, the guy just came and installed it) and just went on the basic everyday plan, unit price was .22 or something. You can see your electricity usage down to the hour now (data is 3 days behind though). I've been able to cut a lot of things down after seeing this data e.g. I have an electric shower and I usually set the temperature at about halfway on the dial, so say 5 out of 10. I set the dial to 4 and I've halved the cost of my shower - it was about 55-60 cents before, now it's about 30. I got one down to 24 cents the other day just for a laugh. Right now my electric costs average out about 2.60 per day, sometimes as low as 2.26, some at 3.20 or so (probably cold days those). I ran a 30 degree, one hour washing machine load on Saturday afternoon and the cost for that hour was 22 cents. The laptop and monitor costs of working from home are negligible. I won't be paying as much attention to the exact data details after this initial period of experimentation, but it is very interesting to see it after years of estimated and actually read meter readings. Coming into summer that daily cost would be dropping a bit further. Most expensive items for me at the moment are the immersion for an hour each day now (I don't use oil central heating in the summer) and an oil filled electric heater for a few hours in the evenings. Going from 25 degrees on the heater down to 23 degrees has reduced the cost for that as well.

I have an OWL energy meter for the last 6 or 7 years. That shows me exactly what the smart meter does, but in real time. Switch on the shower and it shows you that instant what the usage has changed to.

Night rate is 9c (50% of usage is on night rate), day rate is 18c (Obviously all going up by a heft amount next month). Those prices are inc VAT.

There is no smart plan to even come near comparing to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You could have made all those changes without getting a smart meter though.

True, just interesting now to see exact details when I wouldn't have had a clue before.

Who is your night and day rate with? I don't do a lot during the night (I hand wash dishes so don't need a dish washing machine, don't do too many washing machine loads during the week) but 18c for day rate sounds good.

Its with Electric Ireland. Its their 30% discount day/night rate. But going up in May I believe along with all the rates. And the standing charge is going up a huge amount too which is very suspect. I have an energy plug on the dishwasher. I can tell you for definite it uses 6.5c worth of electricity to wash the dishes on the normal wash on the night rate :)

My bugbear is they took us off that rate when we got the smart meter and put us on 17.5c all day rate.

The best day/night rate we can go back to now is the one posted by fafy on the last page

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/VZREN54DLJUQ/b6c6603e-5fea-4a34-8ec9-511b6a69d932.jpeg

Was that Smart Meter a choice? I can't rem getting anything about it and the guy just came one day and installed it, didn't ask if I wanted it or not.

• Advertisement

Someone in our house who will remnain anonymous could have refused it but didnt know :)

Advertisement