Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Teachers threaten to strike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ax530

lots of teachers are on part time by choice another advantage of the job lots of other professions can not opt for. Job sharing, parental leave, sick leave, extended maternity ect... higher paid roles in businesses do not have circulars which guarantee this flexibility and usually the work is not there when they come back as another teacher has covered and done the job.

This flexibility comes at a cost for funding the services so if higher wages are a big concern perhaps they would consider trading it with some other costs. However I believe it is this level of flexibility is what draws people to teaching so cannot see the majority wanting higher wages at cost of flexibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

That's teachers for you, out of touch. They're saying recent graduates can't afford to buy...in what industry can recent graduates afford to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am not here to defend teachers.

Typically, I provide data, facts, comparisons.

I feel teaching should be a well-paid job.

I support teachers in some of their requests.

I do not agree with other things, like "in-service" days during the term, etc.

I acknowledge that the PS pension is good, however, it has been made less generous.

I know and respect many teachers, and I work close to their sector, but it is true that they are great moaners.

In saying this, I agree that the current strong rise in inflation means the 1% pay rise in the current pay deal will have to be improved/revised.

Did you see on RTE earlier they had a clip of a couple of teachers speaking at the congress....And I assume these are people supposed to be the smart ones? I wouldn't let a team member speak to 20 people in a room like they did, nevermind stand up in front of hundreds of people and spout of rubbish like that.

One lass said she's demanding double digit increases. lol

Teachers - consistently out of touch with the real world. Surprised they weren't crowing to get the pandemic bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

Is there a shortage of applicants?

If teachers get a substantial pay rise, every sector in the PS will look for the same. Then inflation just goes up again, meaning the wage rise is meaningless.

Clearly there's no economics teachers about...

Teachers are getting the electric credit like we all do, they're getting the excise on fuel cut like we all do.

"b-b-b-but my partner in the private sector got a rise of 6%"....well, as teachers always say, if it's so easy...why don't you go join the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya but this is a teacher bashing thread.

Remember...

Public sector = Bad.

Private sector = Good.

A 1% pay rise in the PS in 2022, compared to 6.7% inflation CPI in March 2022, means that inevitably the Govt will have to revise/improve the pay deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What about Semi-state? The worst of both worlds!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Lets face it, teachers are the modern day miners. They do back-breaking labour, they are pivotal to industry and they can bring down an entire economy for every week of the year they don't work. We should give them everything they ask for or else.

Wait a second.... 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I think there were rumblings initially from teacher unions about getting the pandemic bonus too...

Primary and secondary teachers get in service days and training days, along with months of holidays between summer, Christmas, Easter, midterms. Whoever can compare that kind of a job to a career offering the same in the private sector, please let me know.

You forgot to mention the reduced life expectancy - and the risk of contacting silicosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Wait.. are you suggesting no other sector get paid training days? Also ask most teachers how bloody useless and resented many of those days are (at second level anyway). I'd happily never do one of those waste of time JCT inservice days again. The out of hours training is much more nuanced and you can sign up for things that are actually useful.

What extended maternity leave? And aside from jobsharing you can't go part-time by choice without giving up your contract. Teachers get 26 weeks maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't why I'm bothering to answer this, you obviously know nothing about teaching. Lecturing at third level is not the same and it would appear you could not hack that yourself.

Teaching in not just about the content it is delivering the content, it involves working with a wide variety of young people and also dealing with parents.

I'm secondary but have absolutely nothing but admiration for primary school teachers. Their skill is not about knowing the primary school curriculum it is delivering the primary school curriculum.

Our main work is the pupils not the content.

If you don't know that it is just as well you don't teach any more in any capacity.

Teacher here...I went one point up the scale this month. It meant absolutely nothing as my pay is the same and will be for the next 3 years, even though I have moved up the scale.

Prices of everything through the roof, it's ridiculous. To fill our oil tank is €1,500. By comparison 18 months ago, it was €800. It's unsustainable and prices will be a long time coming down.

I'm not surprised if any worker is looking for a rise at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I won't bash Teachers but have to say the vox pop played on the news at one was a little bizzare , a number of Teachers interviewed at the conferences.

Talk of not being able to afford diesel, young Teachers unable to afford Rent in cities, Cost of living challenges generally, one even said there has to be a level playing field and finally not a hope of young Teachers getting or being able to afford mortgages 🤔

The one comment that stuck out was, young Teachers unable to afford food, Emma O Kelly , Education Correspondent was so aghast and taken aback she had to take a deep breath, she said in all her years covering education and these conferences , she's never heard such a concern re food affordability.

I thought for a while and realised , isn't the rest of the country , working families, private sector employees facing the exact same challenges 🤔🤔, do they get such a platform 🤔, not on your nelly do they .

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

Much of the inflation people feel recently is due to issues with oil and gas, grain, and global supply chains generally.

These are not local demand driven price changes. Public sector workers in Ireland getting a pay rise won't impact global energy prices.

Your post is not as clever as you think it is.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Shssssssshh , not relevant to this annual bitter moanathon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I still teach, just not in the public/university sector. The work was and is a doddle, that's why I couldn't "hack it". I like to challenge myself and dealing with a few disgruntled parents at a short meeting every once in a while is hardly a big deal. It's not like they are going to get you fired or end your life or anything.

Admire them all you like, I have 2 siblings who are a primary and secondary school teacher. Both are highly regarded by their schools and both do very little schoolwork after hours. They do plenty of farm work though and manage to prep their entire week in about half an hour on a Sunday evening. My opinion may differ from most on here based on my experience but I have little empathy for a profession which evolves very little year on year and the bit of training they are obliged to do is resented by the teaching body.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,414 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Given some of the selfish behaviour during the pandemic I am a little surprised the unions felt brave enough to start their poor mouthing so soon. The same unions that screwed the newer teachers in favour of the pre 2010 teachers which was a disgraceful agreement.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I am not here to defend teachers. They do alright.

Decent pay. A shedload of paid holidays the private sector can only dream of.

When can I go on my holidays? June, July, August, Ill just pick. Three weeks at Christmas, A week in any of the mid terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

How is valid criticism of greed “attacking”?

Is it “attacking” when you don’t like it and “valid criticism” when you do?

It's attacking when it's full of half truths and begrudgery

I will never understand the need to bash people who are looking for more money.

Why shouldn't they look for more? Why do people people have an opinion on the salary anyway? The only thing I can think of is they just don't want to have to look after their kids for an extra day, if the teachers went on strike😂

Paid holidays if in a permanent position. Not otherwise. 2 weeks at Christmas. Also in spite of our holidays we have above the OECD average for class contact hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

A lot of private sector workers aren’t covered by unions and a lot of employers won’t even engage with them.

Teachers have it very easy.

Guaranteed pay rise, guaranteed pension (won’t be wiped out by market forces), 18 weeks of annual leave per year.

Unsackable.

I earn €100k per year with 30 days AL plus public holidays. A teacher after 25 years service gets over €70,000 with no extra responsibilities or work increase.

Advertisement