Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlink - Anyone get it yet?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Dishy had a bit of a shocker of a day today. Thankfully I had no online sessions planned.

Now the weather was the cause of some of these:

• I was out for much of the morning, so I don't know the cause of the earlier outages.
    • Around 12:00 for about 20 minutes we had a lot of passing hail showers and I know Starlink doesn't respond well to that.
    • Around 14:20 there was about a 10 minute torrential downpour

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Greenpuppy

I have been using Starlink for around 7 months now and very happy with it’s performance (in North West). The only issue I have is coverage to the entire house, very weak signal in the bedrooms furthest from the router in my bungalow. The starlink router is not located in the most central location but wondering if anybody has experience using a mesh system? I’ve previously used google wifi in a rental and it was excellent. Does anybody know if this will work with the starlink router and if it’s a simple solution to just plug into router and place wifi points where I need them?

I am not very technically savvy so looking for the simplest solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I recommended the TP-Link Deco M5 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deco-M5-Coverage-Replacement-Antivirus/dp/B071241G3R/ to a non techie neighbor expecting them to get back to me to install it and it turns out they just read the instructions and had no problem installing it themsleves. They were very pleased with the results.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭hjr

Hi there, maybe a stupid question but does are the costs quoted for Starlink inclusive of Vat? Not sure where the invoicing is coming from so wanted to check. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,544 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes, I believe all the order page charges are inclusive of Vat and customs.

Can confirm ... the price you see on the website includes VAT ... They ship Dishy from California, but there is no customs charges arising as they are registered in Ireland (from the bottom of their recent invoice):

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Like a seesaw this evening, I presume I am not the only one seeing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raf75

Same here .

Funny thing. When i was connecting ethernet adapter my connections went down and my wife asked if i broke whole Starlink :)

• Advertisement

They had a global outage this morning around 9:20am ... mine was down for over 20 minutes and then pretty shaky for a while afterwards.

Are you all using Starlink mounts( long, short,pivot etc) , pipe adapter or some other solutions? Are high winds problem to mounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The router that comes with Starlink is terrible.

Im using my own router plus Deco M4 mesh system and it works perfect. Full coverage across the house. I'd be surprised if the mesh system didnt work with the official starlink router.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hi All,

Looks like I'm gonna take the plunge on this next month, I asked before Christmas what kind of speeds and latency you were all getting and the answers was impressive

Can I ask has the service stayed the same over the last 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Was just looking at this thread thinking, hmm maybe something for my brother, who lives in a rural area in Meath, then I see €99 a month + €700+ for the equipment.... how are those type of prices recommendable to anyone? If you live in some remote area where you can't get even DSL connection id understand, but even then €99 per month? For something that appears, based on this thread, to have quite a bit of downtime too... no thanks

Yeah its been very consistent. A few drops here and there in that time but nothing too bad. One outage lasted about an hour once, so I had to hotspot off my phone during that time for work.

Speeds usually range 150 - 250Mb, Upload 20-35Mb. Ping is where its really let down. Anything from 40ms to 60ms. If you're into online gaming, while its usable, its definitely far from ideal. Ping really should be no higher than 20ms if you dont want to experience input delay/lag. Once you go above 30ms you really begin to feel it.

I'd check how long you have to wait until Fibre to the home is rolled out through NBI. If its 2025/2026, Id recommend Starlink no question (obviously price per month aside as its crazy expensive)

I run my business from my home and I used to pay €90pm for FWA and Mobile which gave me a robust connection, with speeds of ~30Mbps down, ~20Mbps up during most of the working day. After 3pm the mobile would go to sh1te and I'd be left with 10/5Mbps on my very reliable FWA connection.

So €99pm for ~200/20Mbps isn't a huge stretch, particularly as my FWA provider is shutting down in June/July this year, leaving me waiting until 2025/2026 for NBI. I have no other alternative as Mobile is too unreliable.

Yes, the equipment cost is a lot and I don't see how it would be acceptable for domestic usage, but from a business perspective it was that or pay for a desk in a co-working space and tolerate sh1te mobile broadband when not at work for the next 5 years.

Yes, the reliability hasn't been great. It does not like hail AT ALL! But when the weather is fine any drops (once or twice a week that I'd notice) are very brief (20-30 seconds) ... I suspect it's maybe the next satellite is in an obstructed part of the sky, so I just have to wait for the next one to come over. If you have a full clean view of the sky in all directions, it may not be as bad for you.

If you are affected by latency as @joe123 mentioned, then it's not suitable for you as generally it always is over 40ms, but my previous set up was even more variable than Starlink. I don't game, so latency isn't a concern.

Downtime hasnt been that bad at all honestly.

I've had it since November and there has been maybe 3 times where I really noticed it dropped off. I experienced more drops on my old DSL Cabinet connection. That was near weekly.

As I WFH, its been a godsend for grabbing large builds/files quickly. Obviously its been great for 4k streaming too etc but at 99 euro month, if you are anyways close to getting Fibre and already have some sort of usable service, Id suggest just wait it out until NBI comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Thanks folks, both my wife and I WFH.

Fibre is 25/26 away (FFS) and we are currently paying €60 for imagine. During the day Imagine is fine but crap at peak times plus they have a download limit of 1TB (which we've hit a few times) and the next time we do they are threating to permanently throttle our BB at 1meg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dmigsy

You're missing the point. No one wants to pay those prices but if you can't get wired broadband this is by far the best, fastest and most reliable, option. Once I have cable broadband option that's faster and cheaper I'll switch to it.

To be fair, in my case the uptime has been better than when I had virgin media broadband in Dublin city centre.

For 40 euro a month extra id def say its worth it. Neighbours of mine all have imagine and they are constantly giving out about it.

They've had more outages on imagine than I've or a couple of my neighbours have ever experienced on starlink. Even during times of really bad weather I've had very few issues.

I'm same boat for nbi with the 25/26 timeframe. I honestly cannot fault starlink so far but as mentioned earlier, ping and its monthly cost are its only down points for me.

A great stop gap until we can jump to Fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

Have never had any issues and I work from home and depend on Starlink.

Same here. No issues at all. I use ethernet cables

Not bad here in Donegal during heavy rain and quite big wind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 smythc

Hi all

Quick question, despite fibre cables being very close to my new house, literally 100 feet away one Open Eir guy has already said he can't find where the cables are up at my house, second guy coming tomorrow :-(

However, just in case they continue to be incompetent and/or want me to fork out the cost of digging to run new cable I wanted to see what sort of delivery times people have experienced from order of Starlink to delivery.

Ideally this year between March and April to be as up to date as possible.

I really do not want to spend over €700 on it only to not have it arrive for 6 months, even a month a too long.

Many thanks

Colm

I ordered on 4th January.

It was shipped on 19th January.

It arrived from California (via Germany) on the 24th.

It took 2 weeks from order to recevid. Including they changing from round to rectangular dish.

Accessories is different thing :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

Portability now available for an additional €25/month

For an additional monthly fee, the Portability feature enables users to temporarily move their Starlink to new locations in order to receive service anywhere within the same continent Starlink provides active coverage. To see active coverage areas, please view the Starlink Availability Map. Portable users are served best effort and can expect lower service levels than fixed users, particularly in areas marked as "Waitlist" on the Availability Map.

Add Portability on Your Account:

• If you are an active customer, you can enable Portability from your account page and it will take effect immediately. 
    • If you have multiple Starlinks, Portability must be selected and purchased for each location.
    • When you enable Portability, you are charged on your next monthly invoice. Portability is charged in full monthly increments and cannot be pro-rated. The Portability feature and billing charges will be ongoing until you decide to disable it. Once you disable Portability, the recurring charge will stop after your next monthly invoice and Portability will only remain active for the remainder of the current billing cycle. For example, if you enable Portability on March 12th and your next billing date is on April 1st, you will be charged $25 on April 1st for the full previous month.  

Limitations:

• Best Effort Service: Portability service is provided on a best effort basis. Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of services are not guaranteed. Starlink prioritizes network resources for users at their registered service address. When you bring your Starlink to a new location, this prioritization may result in degraded service, particularly at times of peak usage or network congestion.
    • International Travel: Starlink can only be used within the same continent as the registered Service Address. If you use Starlink in a foreign country for more than two months, you will be required to move your registered service address to your new location or purchase an additional Starlink to maintain service.
    • No In-Motion Use: We do not support Starlink use in motion at this time. Using the Starlink Kit in motion will void the limited warranty of your Kit. While our teams are actively working to make it possible to use Starlink on moving vehicles (e.g., automobiles, RVs, boats), Starlink is not yet configured to be safely used in this way.

Advertisement