Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod Note Post #1 - The 2022 All Ireland Senior Football Championship.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

Watching TSG. Pat Spillane is in New York co commenting on Sligo v New York. He's doing serious heavy breathing and groaning. Having an orgasm in the Big Apple😅 Of course Pat junior is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

The artifical Gaelic Park pitch looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There is a Great opportunity to promote the games being missed out with these games outside of the country. AFAIK the agreement for them to play in Connacht is now over, so they go direct into the Tailtean Cup in 2023.

Ive always thought NY (and indeed London) trips should be rotated among all 32 counties. Would give every counties fans a chance to travel every 16 years, and give the expats a chance to welcome different counties every year. Make a big deal of it, live TV and use the day to launch the championship. Huge opportunity

Quote Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

That is a good idea. A huge Cavan contingent travelled to London for the Div 4 League game this year because of the novelty and of playing London over there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,572 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In what way is it " a Great opportunity to promote the games "

Who do you actually think that isn't already a football fan is suddenly going to be wooed by this promotion of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,278 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think the complete opposite.

The New York game especially should be scrapped as a championship fixture and instead some team go on a tour there after the championship or something.

Other than a few close run things with Sligo and Leitrim and to a lesser extent Roscommon they have been cannon fodder.

The thing about New York is that they can't build any consistenty. Players pass through the place, and anyone who is there is there to work, not to play football, so football very much takes a back seat to everything else.

Then you have the issue of what actually happened if they won.

Would they be expected to travel to Connacht for their next game ?

Would there opponents be expected to travel to them ?

I thought I heard Sean Cavanagh on The Sunday Game say they would be in the Tailteann Cup.

Is that really the case ?

How is it going to work from an immigration point of view ?

All players etc would have to be legal to be able to travel to Ireland and return, so that cuts down on their opinions straight away.

London is different on the sense that they have none of the travel or legal issues NY has and they already play in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If only they still had Jamie Clarke but he chose a different path

In two ways really;

The first is that the championship always begins with a whimper, it is normally 3 or 4 weeks in before it is waisted to any level of consciousness to the general sporting public that it has started. Build in the TV coverage to the TV contracts to ensure coverage. It's all about the marketing, if an audience can be built up through marketing for a crap spectacle {imho) such as rugby union, then it can be done for Gaelic football.

The second part is more social, and a sop to the association's outposts in the likes of NY and London. These folks keep the games going, and having a touring party over for the games is a big part of their year. Good for them, help them by bringing the teams over. Realistically they are not going to disrupt the championship anyway, it's pretty much an exhibition game anyway. In fact, why not expand it further, West Coast USA, and/or Asia/Australia? Say the four provincial winners last year, send one each to East Coast USA, West Coast USA, Asia and Britain next year for the first game of the championship, have a full Sunday TV coverage with music and cultural events, promote the **** out of it.

But who's going to watch it on TV ?

No one because it's a glorified exhibition.

Sure it's great for the people on the ground, but feck all interest to others removed from it.

The reason the GAA championship starts with a whimper is because of the structure.

You often have mismatched games at the start, it's not like other leagues where you can schedule high profile fixtures to start the season.

Next week you have a high profile game in Mayo v Galway, and it's getting the coverage it deserves, 4pm on a Sunday on RTE.

• Advertisement

No one would watch it though. No one outside of Sligo and a few diehard fans would give a sht about a New York match no matter how it's pushed.

Rugby which you mention has all the same issues. The 4 provinces play loads of games that the public don't really care about. The audience is only there for the internationals and a few European games.

I wouldn't say no one would watch it at all.

This year its Sligo, folk from Sligo will watch it, along with some folks from surrounding counties, plus some folk with family in NY. Next year it could be the Cavan crowd, the following year the Laois crowd, etc..... make it about more than the game itself, let the diaspora use it to promote themselves and give them a good day out, make them feel part of the whole thing.... I'm not saying it's gonna be the be all and end all, but with some imagination it can be used to promote the games home and abroad IMHO. Just a think outside the box thing really.

I did say no one except Sligo. The whole point of "promoting" games is to reach a wider audience and attract new fans. Games against New York will do the absolute opposite of that. If you want to grow games in the US you need to get it into the schools like soccer did. A practically exhibition match like yesterday will do nothing to grow the game no matter how promoted it is. Won't matter a fk which provence they play in as it will be still treated as a bit of a joke.

What you are talking about is promoting the game to people who are already GAA fans which is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

It should not be scrapped. Gaelic Park was packed for the Sligo match. Thankfully no one on here is in charge of the GAA. NY are confident that they will have no immigration issues. Half the squad yesterday were US born players and the rest were all legal residents.

Packed with 4000 people and how do you know the legal status of every player on that team ?

Is it pointless? Is there not value in allowing the New York Gaels feel a part of the championship? Is there not a social value in having the games there and allowing different counties to travel to the US to see the games and meet up with (in this case) the Sligo expat community? I'd say there is a value in this, may be hard to quantify in euros, but it's not all about money.

On the field, the likes of NY will always have a chance, and will eventually take a scalp when they are playing a Division 3 or 4 team, maybe their place IS in the Tailtean Cup rather than in the Connacht Championship, which after all has 3/5 division 1 teams at the moment.

I have never said don't play the New York games.

It's just the idea that showing it on TV is some sort of massive promotional opportunity that RTE are fking up by not taking is completely fantasy land stuff.

"Always have a chance" is also pushing it for a team that always lose.

NY get a bye into the Tailteann Cup this year according to what I read on RTE.

That will be interesting as regards how it will be facilitated and how they will get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Which is more than the official capacity. NY have stated they are happy to travel so clearly they have no issues with legality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

They may not have an issue with legality. But surely they will have an issue with cost. If you take the players plus mentors plus whoever else is part of the overall set-up (nutritionist, physios etc.), there could be easily 40 people. I don't know how much a return flight from New york to Ireland and back again is these days, but taking an amount of €500 per person is €20,000. And then accommodation. They're hardly going to come over for one night and fly back to America the following day. So you could slot another €500 per person for accommodation and other expenses. That's another €20,000.

Even just taking those very rough figures, that's €40,000. Who is going to foot that bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭celt262

Plenty of money in NY don't worry about that end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I definitely will not be worrying about it; but can you suggest who specifically will be paying for the expenses. I genuinely do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭celt262

I don't know but NY has plenty of business men willing to throw money at the GAA a lot of counties do large fundraising events out there.

There are an awful lot of very rich people in NY willing to pour literally thousands down the drain for GAA in that town.

It's especially true in the club game where wealthy club benefactors will pony up loads of money for some intercounty player to come over for two months, keep him in expenses and all he has to do is tog out on a Sunday.

The elephant in the room has always been "what if NY win a match". It's one thing organizing the one match months in advance but if they win it would have to be done quick which ramps up the cost big time and not everyone's boss might be so understanding either.

If they ever do become successful it will ironically be the end of them.

Back in 2006 the New York hurlers won a game in the Ulster championship.

There was all sorts of drama about what would happen next, and I don't recall how it was resolved.

Your point about the organisation is why I'm wondering how the Tailteann Cup participation will work out.

They have a bye into the quarter finals.

But when do they know who they will play ?

Will it be in Ireland ?

What if they win ?

How soon after will be the SF ?

Will it be in Ireland ?

The flight is the easy bit as Dublin to anywhere is easy enough in Ireland. The big question is if they win.

Not trying to rob their big day out but if we are talking about promoting the game which is where this conversation started then I think NY is a dead end. It would be much better to try get more UK teams involved in the TC like the hurling has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

NY could end up going on a run to the All Ireland Final, playing each game in Ireland with replays attached, and even then funding would not even be remotely an issue. There is huge money behind the GAA in the US, the packages inter county players were getting to come over and play pre pandemic is testament to this. Also, the fundraisers held in the US for certain counties in Ireland. Time off work could be an issue, but if Johnny Flynn could fly over from NY to Galway every weekend, they can manage the reverse for a championship run.

Maybe I'm biased because I live here, but I think its important to keep NY and London, in the championship. It keeps the profile of the game raised, and while its never going to be a major player in the US or the UK, they're the only locations outside of Ireland where there are larger numbers playing the games.

I certainly see the value of keeping London in the championship, they play in the NFL also and do win games in it.

But as for NY, it's a great outing for the visiting fans, and a great weekend for the people involved in NY GAA but that's about it.

You could generate that with a tour of any intercounty team at any time of the spring, summer or autumn, it doesn't necessarily need to be a championship game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Thats true, they could come up with a better way of promoting the game here than they do now, even combining club teams in other cities such as Chicago, Boston and San Francisco to make it a meaningful tour for teams. For now though, the Connacht Championship game is a worthwhile match to hold every year, just ask the Leitrim mafia in NYC!

Advertisement