Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Your seriously clutching at straws bringing in points difference, I agree a Wexford ref shouldn't have reffed the game same way a Dublin ref shouldn't have reffed the Kilkenny/ Wexford game last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I was merely correcting your assertions if you'd bother to understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There isn't a hope we could put it up to Limerick in terms of physicality

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭davidx40

Limerick and Waterford are way ahead of all the rest ..... Both skill wise and physical conditioning .... Waterford are in some condition ....and have way more pace in the team than Limerick ....I'd give them every chance ......

I understand it extremely well, i was just pointing out the large hole in the logic that was perceived here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I think on the weekends matches you're not too far away but don't discount the physicality and effort kilkenny should bring to the table. It helps to be able to bring in 4 or 5 quality options off the bench and vary our play when not working. If you look at Cork yesterday Limerick disrupted their running game and when they went long Limerick mopped this up with their spare man at the time. Similar to what happened us against Cork on the last 2 occasions we met them. We have to carry and not allow other teams to bottle us up. On the flip side we tend to let runners through relatively unscathed. When we hit fairly we have to hit hard and try to disrupt teams as Limerick did yesterday to Cork.

I think this year reminds me of the landscape around 2009, the standard bearers Kilkenny in 09 and Limerick currently, 1 team looking primed to challenge, Tipp in 09 and Waterford currently while i think there is very little between the next group of teams ultimately i don't think any of these are capable of toppling Limerick similarly to how Tipp were the only team capable of beating ye from 2009-11, I must say i fell into the trap of believing Cork could challenge too but the manner in which they conceded those 2 goals yesterday was the last straw for me, Coleman is a brilliant hurler but a number 7 or midfielder all day every day, no 3 and 6 are a huge issue for Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Village87

Massive u20 campaign ahead for Kilkenny u20's. We really need this team to deliver, made up of 3 very good minor teams. Especially with the Kk senior team pushing on with 5/6 of the better players in there 30s. We really need this team to be pushing hard for an All Ireland.

Are you being honest or building up for an attack should the under 20s not be successful? You know full well that Galway won the minor titles during the same period you mention. Furthermore, Galway hammered Kilkenny 3 years ago in the Final.

Are you serious. Kilkenny have not won at that level since 2008 and the results are now showing at senior level. Waterford, Limerick and Wexford are backboned by very good u21 team or 2 . We badly need success at under 20 level for at least some optimism for the future. Our better players are in there 30s at senior level. Kilkenny should be very competitive at u20 level. Galway are down 2/3 of there better players through playing senior champo and injury.

• Advertisement

Do you expect the under 20s to win the All Ireland this year?

Get past Galway and anything is possible. Galway can be vulnerable at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

Galway have lost gavin Lee to the seniors and other teams have lost players due to that silly rule. Kilkenny have no one on the senior panel. It's a pity Liam Moore didn't come back he would of being a big help.it looks like a young team but preparation has gone well so there shouldn't be any excuses. I don't know much about offally but we've struggled so badly at this level it's hard to be confident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I would think Kilkenny would push Limerick. They'd be smart and Conservative and survive on less possession. But they arent a match physically but they would be game. Waterford aren't at the same level as Limerick physically. No one playing hurling can match Hayes and Hegarty physically.. and I'd put O Donoghue in that bracket. Bit Kilkenny would ask serious questions if focused.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

Derek McGrath was saying the other night that Kilkenny's forwards were as good as what's in the competition. Now if they are on a par with Limerick's then it's a proper match. Likely All-Ireland final in the eyes of some having seen Waterford, Cork, and Galway struggling. Kiely vs the Professor (as Cyril Farrell calls him)? Flip of the coin you'd have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

I agree re Kilkenny providing a different fight but we have to understand our own misgivings in relation to our distribution of the ball, especially puckouts. In our last 2 competitive games v Cork we weren't too smart with our puckouts when both games were there to be won. Hopefully this will be addressed and we can try to turn games from our own play. Just on another note maybe it was discussed here already but is Richie Hogan gone off the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Didn't hear that he was gone. Was named on the bench for the waterford league game but didn't see any game time.

Martin Breheny in the Indo says hurling is gone so tactics based that it's turning into something like a computer game. Whether that's the case or not, management need to tick as many boxes as possible now to get the optimum from the team. We're not doing that, case in point - we're still not comfortable with the short puckouts as we don't practice it enough. Likewise we need to perfect running off the shoulder and running into space. We're also lacking leadership on the pitch which needs to be addressed. We need to use the throw ball much more, it's not blown much in the championship. Our players should go down when fouled and the medics run in immediately. Slow things down when under pressure, for example the goalkeeper has a mysterious knock/injury. Players need to be seen to encourage each other by slapping each other on the back etc. Be prepared to use all five subs. And review our stamina levels as we're not lasting the full match.

I know most of the above isn't Cody's way, but it's critical if we're to be competitive, and it is the way most other counties operate now. The players are capable of a lot more if the preparation is updated. We must tick the boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

There's an awful lot of fundamentals in there. Unlikely to be turned around during a championship already under way. Looks a more long-term cultural shift.

Just one point on the stamina you mention...........is it really stamina or is it just that the team that wins matches usually kicks on later in the game anyway as the trend of the game starts to take effect and elements of chance are eliminated? For example, Cork were level or thereabouts with Limerick ten minutes into the second half last Sunday but took a hiding. Was that tail-off a stamina issue? Or just the inevitable outcome of the way the game was going gradually anyway?

Post edited by Rosita on

I agree a lot of what I said is fit the future but done can be introduced right away.

Regarding stamina, you may be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Nedflanders02

The U-20 game is been shown on the TG4 YouTube channel for anyone interested! Anyone any idea why it’s on so early (6:15)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭kksaints

Lack of floodlights in Nowlan Park and visibility issues after 7:30pm if the weather isn't good I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭brookville

A very poor match with not much to take out of it. Hopefully this will stand to them before the real test against galway in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Kilkenny looked like a team that had been told 2 minutes before throw in that they were going to play a short passing game. Gave away a mountain of ball by passes that were too long, too short, misdirected to an Offaly player or given to a player under pressure. Gave away a lot of silly frees also. Somewhere in there is a decent team but only 12 days to get their act together against Galway. A lot of work to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭jimmythesulk

6 of last years minors played tonight. So that's 6 under 18 players playing under 20, which is 3 years above their age. Last year's minors were poor and were lucky to lose by only 8 points to a far superior galway side. Is their a lack of decent 19 and 20 year old hurlers throughout the county?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭supernova5

lads , is Harry Shine the next D.J. Carey or T.J. Reid, ?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭therealdonster

It is neither fair or accurate to say this is true about last years minor team.

• Advertisement

Perhaps but his first poor performance and the knives will be out no doubt. 2 more years at under 20, so plenty of time to develop further.

Advertisement