Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fencing

• 17-04-2022 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi. Looking for recommendations on fence posts . I intend to permanently split a few of my larger fields with sheep wire . Recently I have been using creosote posts from the local co op. Think they came from Cavan . They are loosing their dark colour very quickly ( a bit like the head on the last Suffolk ram we bought ). Any recommendations on best value posts would be appreciated. I use 6' x 4" posts and drive them with a pot . Do you think the price hike in posts is permanent ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

I have used PDM and Octobthe last 2 years. Pulled some 5 foot octo out of a wet corner to replace with 6 foot ones and the 5 foot ones seem good as new (maybe 5 years old?).

Not impressed wiTh the treatment penetration of at least 1 of the octo strainers. One of them exploded right down the centre as it met a rock I assume while being driven by a track machine.

Images below of what I am talking about……. That said they seem a far better post to me that PDM as they are slower grown and seem denser/harder as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

what about plastic ones from clqre made from recycled bale plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Gudstock

FRS doing both creosote and octo poles, any reviews on their ones? Fed up with using so called long-life poles that are rotten after just a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Anyone I know that use them, drill first as it’s difficult to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Has the price of stakes gone up along with everything else recently I know timber for building has increased so pressure its the same for fence posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Yeah, I bought a few last week, standard 4 inch roughs gone up by about 25% or €1, strainers gone up by €5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭DBK1

€3.80 plus vat for larch 5 foot 4" pressure treated roughs from Flaherty's in Kinnitty, Co. Offaly last week. Just checked the docket from the last time I bought them which was June 2020 and they were €3.25 plus vat then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A friend sticks the water troughs out in the middle if the field. He gets 3-4 posts driven at the corners of the water tank and works back to the ditches with pigtails and string. You will get away with two on the diagonal corner his own recommendations is three minimum.

Two at either corner where ballcock is connected and one straight in front.

You use pigtails and string to then bring them back to the field boundary. You could add 4 more stakes. He thinks if he was doing it again he would drive 3-4 more to work the diagonals where he comes off.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Anyone priced any fencing lately for sheep wire and i row of mains on top i think i paid 5.50 a metre supply and erect about 2 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Would like to know same myself as have a TAMs application in. Sounds very reasonable even then. What kind of posts and wire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tileman

I got prices about 7€ end of last year to grant spec. It’s probably gone up another 0.50cents a meter since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Plus or including VAT Tileman? Creosote posts I presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Bought a bunch of strainers and couldn't believe the price increase. Bad time to be doing a lot of fencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tileman

yea plus vat. They were for creosote stakes. Fairly straight runs. About 700m. I decided not to do it in end. Was grant job but was building shed at same time and that went over budget so didn’t go ahead with fencing.

bought a pile of almost new sheep wire on done deal and will fence it myself. Will work out a good bit cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭brownswiss

I opted for 3" Octo creosote posts €7.29 ( I think ) from homeland. I have never used such a light post. It is a straight run. I will stick in a few PDM 4", possibly every 25 metres . It will be difficult to keep farms ticking over as the price increases of our inputs is insane. I priced Roundup today and I thought he was joking when he quoted me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Someone is laughing all the way to the bank, a timber grower over on the forestry page got €13 a ton for stake wood.

Now I know there is a fair bit of work involved in taking a tree growing in a forest to having a creosoted stake in a fence, but they are getting well paid for it. There should be a bit of scope to cut out a few middle men if one farmer is growing a stake and another farmer is driving it into the ground.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Sami23

What are people paying for good 6' creosote stakes at the minute.

Local stockist is currently out of stock.

He only has 5' at €5.50 per stake.

Tia

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Around €8, but that was a few months back. I’m hearing €30 for a strainer, at that price concrete single slats and a digger to dig a hole for them might be better value. Make sure you get the vat back on the stakes.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

McNamara's are charging about 11 euro for a 6ft, four inch diameter stake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Sami23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Is there still grants available for fencing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Count Mondego

I want about 200 stakes for fencing in the new year. Rang these lads and asked for the current price. 15 fu$king quid a stake! Taking the piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Advertisement