If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 50'' TV

Options
  • 19-04-2022 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Dear richersound

I was looking into a new 50'' and I think I have shortlisted the following 2:

Sony KD50X81JU and Philips 50PUS8556

A couple of question:

• Are they both full Android TVs with access to Google play store?
    • It looks like the Sony doesn't have HDMI 2.1, however in some reviews it says otherwise: can you confirm?
    • Is it correct assuming that the Philips doesn't have the Sat tuner?

A part from the obvious feature (amblight), the specs are very similar, but I am leaning towards the Philips: would you agree that it's slightly better than the Sony?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi DARCONIO.

Thanks for the post.

Both are great televisions.

Both are Android TV and have access to the Google Play Store. (It is not the full Google Play store like on your phone though as a TV is limited to what you can download onto it).

It seems the 50X81 doesn't have HDMI 2.1 you need to go to the 85 series and above. The Philips does have HDMI 2.1.

The Philips 50PUS8556 does have a satellite tuner onboard.

Personally I prefer the image that the Sony produces over the Philips as it gives more clarity but both are great TV's in their price bracket.

Any questions please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

Brilliant, thanks Kenny

one last question: will you collect the old tv set for recycling when the unit is delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I have the Sony KD that Kenny is talking about.. can’t recommend enough, sublime picture quality and very easy, user friendly menus…

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Darconio.

We can indeed arrange for the courier to take away your old set for recycling.

We just need to know what size it is and if its a flat screen or older CRT and it needs to be sitting ready at your door for collection.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.