Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goggles4u.co.uk 73% discount

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yes, but don't goggles and Specsavers offer those various lenses? What I am asking I suppose is whether the same lense types are the same quality between Specsavers/. goggles and opticians in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,861 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Youve got it wrong.

According to some posters, specsavers use special glass having first been eaten by the palm civit to improve it and make it worth 6 times more than goggles4u etc.

Their branded frames are also better than the same branded frames online we are led to believe.

I see no comparison between brick shop products and online products so you're comparison is based on opinions rather than fact

In front of me, I have a pair of glasses I bought from Glasses Direct for £25 last year and a pair of glasses I bought from Specsavers for €39 many years ago (6 years ago I think).

Frames - Specsavers is slightly better.

Lenses - pretty much the same.

RRP - Glasses Direct was £109 (according to my email). Specsavers was €39.

On the other hand, you do not have any comparison to make because you have admitted to not buying glasses in 3 years. The only comparison you made was to compare your £50 glasses to €300 glasses, which was embarrassing to say the least. You are the one who has no idea what they're talking about, which is evident by the fact that you ignored by my last post where I objectively demonstrated that you made false statements.

You seem to have made the false assumption that Specsavers do not sell glasses as cheap as Glasses Direct, possibly because you were very gullible the last time you went into a Specsavers shop many years ago.

Your deal is good, but it's nothing special. You needed new glasses for the first time in 3 years, went online and saw this discount and thought "what are the odds?!" and posted it here, which is great. We thank you for it. But it's not anything special as such a deal always exists on that website.

Your deal is good, leave it at that. Don't make embarrassing statements like your £50 glasses are as good as €300 glasses. Your £50 glasses are as good as the glasses Specsavers sell for €19 + €80 = €99, and therefore it is a good deal as Specsavers currently do not have an offer on. Great!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I've never bought glasses online since I have a complicated prescription and wouldn't trust myself getting the pupil distance etc. right, but what do you do if the frame you selected doesn't fit or you need it readjusted after a while? And can you send them back if the frames hurt, are uncomfortable or slide down your nose or you just don't like them since you couldn't try them on IRL?

• Advertisement

Most, if not all, online websites offer a free home trial of some form.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Ah, ok, thanks. Didn't see any info on a home trial on the webpage linked in this BA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

You can get your optician/specsavers etc. to give you your pupilary distance as well as all the other figures for the prescription. Then there is nothing stopping you picking the cheapest pair of glasses you can find on one of these sites, and use them as a backup pair without much risk.

You're the one saying mine aren't as good yet you've provided no evidence to support the claim.

I'm wearing glasses 40 years both from shops and online. I think I know what a decent pair of glasses looks like.

I just looked at Specsavers and all their prices are from prices. Hi index from 80e which I assume are 1.6. I got 1.67 for less.

Got the additional coatings for less and I got varifocal for less, all of these are in addition to the 39e standard lense from SS. So no specsavers aren't cheaper.

My optician told me a pair from him with all the additions would be 350. He's well respected in town and I'm sure would have told me mine were inferior if they were as I'm sure Specsavers would have done when getting tested there over the years.

But listen, it's its not for you grand... Just scroll past.

You're the one saying mine aren't as good yet you've provided no evidence to support the claim.

Eh...

In front of me, I have a pair of glasses I bought from Glasses Direct for £25 last year and a pair of glasses I bought from Specsavers for €39 many years ago (6 years ago I think).

Frames - Specsavers is slightly better.

Lenses - pretty much the same.

RRP - Glasses Direct was £109 (according to my email). Specsavers was €39.

What would you like me to do exactly? Send you video of me smashing both with a hammer to test their durability? Jesus Christ.

I'm wearing glasses 40 years both from shops and online. I think I know what a decent pair of glasses looks like.

Weird. My mom has been wearing clothes for over 60 years and yet she just returned a top she bought online because she didn't think it was as good in person. Almost as if this sentence is drivel.

I just looked at Specsavers and all their prices are from prices.

Oh, well whatever this sentence means certainly clarifies things.

Hi index from 80e which I assume are 1.6. I got 1.67 for less.

Yes, because as I've said in all of my posts, Specsavers do not currently have an offer on. Thank you agreeing with me. Don't know why you bothered looking on Specsavers since I actually said that very thing in my last few posts. Almost as if you're still not reading any of my posts correctly.

Got the additional coatings for less and I got varifocal for less, all of these are in addition to the 39e standard lense from SS. So no specsavers aren't cheaper.

Evidently, you did not look on Specsavers very long since they sell glasses for as low as €19, not €39.

And again, I never said that Specsavers was cheaper. Almost as if you're still not reading any of my posts correctly.

My optician told me a pair from him with all the additions would be 350.

I literally told you that I got better glasses years ago for €130. Almost as if you're still not reading any of my posts correctly.

But listen, it's its not for you grand... Just scroll past.

Don't worry, I've actually been very useful. I provided a link in my first post so that people can find the best glasses deals online. You have instead spouted absolute drivel about how much you're saving.

Here's a quick task for you.

So no specsavers aren't cheaper.

Quote the post where I stated that. Otherwise stop making up nonsense. Read. Posts. Slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Yes, based on opinion as a spectacle wearer for 40+ years and purchasing myself for 35 years.

I'm also in a distribution business, so I understand margins.

I bought 3 pairs from goggles last year. The quality is very poor if they are meant to be £159 pairs. They are ok for the £20odd I paid. That's my opinion from looking at them.

Cheap plastic lens. Not great clarity, frame ok. One pair is an emergency pair in the car, one is prescription sunglasses, one I wear to suit a particular occasion.

But they are no way in hell comparable to a £160 (€200) pair in a decent opticians.

They are comparable to Specsavers £29 range.

Unless it's a receiver clearance or some other very particular reason, no retail or distribution company sells at 73%-80% discount almost all year round.

If you actually believe that you are suckers for their marketing bs.

If you want a few cheap pairs and know that they are basic quality, then great. But you are not getting a true 73% discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭gipi

I said I'd give an update on labelling, customs, etc from goggles4u UK.

The glasses I bought cost £38.55 including postage of 8.95

An Post mailed me today to ask for VAT charges of €8.96 (including their fee of 3.50). The declared value per An Post was €23.77 and the item is labelled correctly as "corrective lenses".

No customs charges were applied, just VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭oneweb

I would even go so far as to say that the marked-up prices in stores aren't real.

I've used g4u before and was very happy with them... but I'd forgotten their website when I wanted to get a new pair 🙈

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dec4

I wonder if there is any difference in VAT/Customs charges if you order from Goggles.4u.com versus Goggles4u.co.uk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi All,

I am looking to order prescription Eye glass.

Any discount available please?

Thanks so much.

I used it but it didn't work saying its not valid on designer frames.

On a separate note, I ordered now prescription eyeglasses for £82 (99€) including the shipping cost. Do I need to pay custom or VAT in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Maybe

SPRING73

Not on designer Frames though

Post edited by ForestFire on

• Advertisement

Yes, VAT is payable, and An Post processing fee

See my earlier post for my experience

Just got my bill.

8.96 fees.

Customs value was half what I paid.

Was the order value above €150? I understand there is no custom before €150.

Cool.

Mine is 82 pounds. So hopefully less than 20€ VAT

Think this changed last year, duty can be charged on any amount.

Got my 2nd pair of glasses today. Was £46 and they valued it at 5.95. Didn't have any charges. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

Could you tell me how long it took from ordering to delivery.

Ordered a pair on April 5th, haven't heard a dickie bird since order acknowledgement

• Advertisement

I ordered on the 4th. Log In and check your status. If it says order shipped, there's a tracking number which works o n royal mail and then anpost

Advertisement