Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

2-13 to 0-13 to Tipp. Very disappointing 3Q from Clare, lost control of midfield when they were by and large on top there in the first half. That said, they had some good performers, and are not a bad team. Some of the subs too should be pushing for starting places. They need to put a lot of work into their touch and handling though, but at the same time they over play the ball too much. They play Waterford next week I think so hopefully Clare can get a result at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Meehan will almost certainly be out of the running for selection as he will be playing for the under 20's this evening..

surely one of the dumbest rules the GAA ever came up with

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I thought it was only if you played senior then you are ruled out of U20, and not the other way around ?

Also considering our the season would soon be over for our U20s

on further investigation I think you are likely correct, so at least he should be free to play on Sunday then

Patrick Crotty is also down to start for the u20s

• Advertisement

The u20s beaten tonight, another one that got away. 2 points ahead in the closing minutes, but Cork scored the last 4 points.

at least we were competitive I guess

same old story for clare hurling

Just can't get a result underage. Very good effort again from the u20s tonight, but they were up against a better Cork team that are favourites for the AI. There are good players in Clare underage though and this year has been a big improvement from last. I'd like to see Terence Fahy back again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I'm afraid that's another disappointment. Losing is as much if a habit as winning. That streak of know how and game management. Its not in Clare at the moment. We probably won't finish top 3in Munster because of it.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Cork were there for the taking this evening, they have no chance of winning an All Ireland if they play that badly again, makes this result all the more galling from a Clare point of view. Clare hurlers at nearly all grades have forgotten how to win tight games

• Advertisement

I think being competitive tonight isn't such a bad thing considering where the two counties are respectively. We have been horrendous underage the past two years, while Cork won the u17 and u20 All Irelands last year and have the best pool of talent underage in the country. Ultimately tonight it was a better Cork team, and if it wasn't for Meehan's wonder goal, they would have won by 5 or 6 points. But I think we are at least going in the right direction and have a couple of players underage that have potential to make good seniors. But Clare still have a huge amount of work still to do underage to get back winning so games.

They were poor in the first half, I think alot of it can be put down to it being their first day out. But I taught Cork were by far the stronger side in the second half. As I said above, if it were not for Meehan's solo goal, Cork would have won the game reasonably comfortably. Clare just couldn't win puckouts or ball on the Cork's 40 in the second half. Were losing games, because mostly were not good enough (except for last week).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

some lads on here are looking for too much of a quick fix to clare hurling , lads the underage has been neglected for years now both the minors and u20s have done briliently to peform as well as they had , Terrance fahey deserves great praise for what he done in them two games at u20 level

footballers put up a fine showing against kerry tonight losing by 6 in the end ,brian mcnamara and fionn kelliher will be regular names mentioned in future on this page both class acts pity shane meehan wasn't available tonight but we need him for sunday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I don't know if anyone were looking for a quick fix, people were just looking for the proper structures to be put in place. A lot of credit has to go to Rob Mulcahy and the S&C team as well, all under age squads are getting brilliant guideance from them, another year will make all the difference. That Under 20 team is based on a great minor team don't forget.

Clare 0-9 to 0-2 up against Waterford at half time in the minor. Be a good one to win as the winner will play Kerry in Munster QF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Hi lads any idea how the woman died at a camogie match in athenry yesterday eve as I was there seen alot of ppl on the road then seen on fb today about it thanks lab man

Clare won there 1-22 to 1-08. Can't remember Clare having such a dominant underage win, maybe over 10 years ago when we last had success. Anyway its Kerry in the QF, so there is the opportunity for this team to challenge for a Munster final appearance. Hard to know how far they will go in the competition but the main thing is that there are a couple of very good prospects on that team.

would you consider Cian Nealon as one of those good prospects?

I would supernova, he was the MOTM today for me, I think he got 1-4. One thing he has is great pace for a forward, and he has that instinct to go for the goal if he gets some space.

The centre forward O’Niell is a fine hurler, really everything goes through him. The other two that have really stood out to me are Hegarty and Stritch, particularly as they are both u16. The full back line have played very well too.

I think Brian O’Connell has done a good job preparing the team. They play with a good attitude. Obviously a big improvement from last year, 40 point loss last year to a 14 point win today. Today was a good day for Clare underage hurling, just to get a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

• Advertisement

yea good to get a win of some kind anyway, by all accounts Waterford were very very poor tonight, [I didn't see the game] they were impressive enough against Tipp and were unlucky not to beat them in the first game, sometimes hard to judge how minors will perform from one game to the next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Figerty

Hard to judge anything by tonight. At one stage Waterford had three spare men at the back, and one long ball over the top had them all over the place. It was a melt down by Waterford; it all went wrong for them and that's not taking it away from Clare.

That's it. I was asking myself watching it how they only lost to Tipp by a point. But as you say these things happen with kids, can be very up and down.

Lohan said that Rodgers will miss the entire Munster championship. Ditto Reidy and Aidan McCarthy, although I guess we already knew that.

Shane O'Donnell in contention to play.

bloody hell, we are goosed already, cursed with this injuries bull*h*t

We only conceded 10 scores for the entire match against the Limerick U20's two weeks ago in the Gaelic Grounds. It's just gone half time in Cork and Limerick have scored 16 points against the rebels. Just shows how well the Clare U20's defense coped with the shannonsiders attack including the now U20's ineligible Cathal O'Neill that evening. What a pity we couldn't get a win against either team, but unfortunately we couldn't get that elusive win over the line and sadly we are out of the U20's championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What injury has Rodgers? Did he pick up that injury in the Fitz? Looks a savage clever forward.

Yes Rodgers picked up that knee injury in the Fitz, but it thankfully wasn’t a cruciate ligament injury as originally feared.

There are some murmurings coming out of the Clare camp that Shane O’Donnell is going to come straight into the starting side, which is surprising in some respects. Let’s wait and see anyway.

It's all very very quiet from the Clare camp. Which I'm taking to be a good thing....

• Advertisement

The Clare minor footballers trail 2-5 to 0-3 to a much improved Limerick in the second round of the round robin Munster minor football championship. Approaching half time.

Advertisement