Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Teachers threaten to strike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

You haven't a clue, teachers agreed to the government's pay deal in 2010 and they promised no paycuts if we agreed not to strike.

They then changed it to 'no paycuts for current teachers' in the Dáil subsequently, and teachers couldn't strike...

Would you have supported teachers if they had gone on strike then???

I too always have a laugh when I hear this one from the uneducated.

Would the teacher bashers on here be in favour of pay rises for teachers if their student's results improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Yes, I'm haggling.

Would you trade your exceptionally short working year for better conditions elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

So is any teacher shortages basically down to that foreign teachers can't teach here to replace Irish teachers that went abroad? Time for the teaching council to get hauled over the coals if so.

I know the hospitals would close in the morning only for foreign staff in to replace Irish doctors n nurses that went to oz, Dubai etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Would our contracts be amended to include admin in line with our UK counterparts and would the promotional oppertunities there be applied to here? (Cherrypicking by me obviously, there's a lot of their system I'd hate to see here, selfishly and because of how poor their system is).

If just the calendar and we retain our current weekly teaching hours I think both teachers and students will be wrecked. Would also pose issues for SEC recruiting examiners and supervisors, let alone turning around results. I think I'd go with it if the pay increase was in line with the extra work but I think it'd be a bad idea overall for education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

Seem people bitching year in year out.

I'm a teaching, rapidly trying to leave the profession. (It took me 4 years and a cross country move to get a job, and now I'm stuck in a school where the principals pals get any form of promotion opportunity). I can move school without starting from the bottom. I would have to work over 25 years to get to 65k. I can never, ever, afford a mortgage as a teacher. For this reason, I have no real reason to defend teachers. Again, I am leaving.

However, why wouldn't a union fight for increased wages in light of rising prices? If nurses, doctors, shop workers etc. feel they should get a pay increase, then they should petition their union to fight for their wages. Stop critisizing teachers for fighting for what every union should be fighting for.

Me? No , I have family and elderly parents here.

But there are a lot of younger teachers who do go abroad for better pay. Hence why you might find your son or daughter in 3rd year has had more than 10 maths teachers since 1st year, like in our school, plus NO home ec teacher for 2 months, and 2 languages killed off because it's too hard to get teachers (every student has to do Spanish whether they like it or not).

Quite unusual, considering its such a great profession according to every man and his dog.

But I'm sure I'll be told.

No it's definitely not as simplistic as that.There aren't as many people training to be teachers, or staying here when they do qualify, combined with an increased student population, perfect storm type of thing. But the teaching coucil could definitely be helping matters more.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Madeoface

PS Unions just doing what they get paid to do. I don't think teaching is an easy career, and it must be repetitive as hell. However, I think the pay looks commensurate with the hours / training. I understand their gripe but nobody can afford housing a few years out of uni.

The second level hols always seemed overly long but are part of the contract.

What I can't get my head around is how primary schools close on half days every mid term, Easter, Halloween, Xmas, summer etc. Wasn't that the type of civil service 'bank time' that was done away with decade's ago?

My long retired mother in law former primary teacher thought it harked back to teachers getting back 'home' around the country. If so, ffs, time has moved on. I've seen most of the teachers in my little ones school hop into their cars and head off once the kids are out the gates so it ain't to hang back and confer from what I've seen. The optics are poor but those halfers seem to be a gimme. Are they counted as full teaching days? Is it in a contract? (Genuinely asking. If it is, grand. If it isn't, then the Government should have those lost halfers calculated into any new deal).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

They need to do something, particularly with Maths teachers. It probably makes sense for some subjects to have free fees. For Maths teachers there is probably also a need to have a different scale to other teachers, they have a lot of other options in industry.

• Advertisement

Modern foreign languages, Irish, Home Ec and Physics are also virtually impossible to recruit for in certain parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Is there any link/breakdown to teachers pay?

I feel like they're always threatening strike for more pay but maybe they rarely succeed.

Would like to see their actual pay before I cast judgement.

Any teachers on here ever wonder why were always 'told' what our job is…?

Reminds me of that time when Trump came up with a COVID cure in 10 seconds , then doubled down and discovered another one.

See that doctor sitting down.... That's teachers right now.

I mean would you adopt the UK system, not move location, as such.

Anyway, my 2c is that teaching isn't easy, but is quite well paid for the amount of hours worked. I'd like any reasonably experienced teacher to honestly argue otherwise. Not saying there is no work done outside classroom hours, but it tends to be way overblown.

If money is the issue, any teacher I know with an ounce of drive, generally has at least one cash-in-hand nixer on evenings or during the summer because their timetable allows it. Not something you'll hear mentioned the ASTI conference.

But... I probably couldn't do the job, but who knows.

Still no good reason why anyone gets annoyed about teachers looking for a pay rise.

It's very strange, must just be pure Irish begrugery!

Google teacher salary scale (put in primary or post primary) all publicly available. Payscale refers to full time employment.

Attached is link to salary scale applicable to post primary teachers hired since 2011.

https://www.asti.ie/your-employment/pay/salary-scales/post-2011-common-basic-scale/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

Fair enough. The points are going up for teaching ( I know there was plenty of grade inflation) so it seems to be still popular for students to get into. Maybe more course places are required so.

I don't do any 'cash in hand' nixer. I don't know of any other teacher I work with who does either!

I do know that every private sector tradesman I've ever paid is always cash in hand though.

I know of teachers who do work at a second seasonal job though. Like marking or invigilation , but that ain't no 'handy doss job'.

...and no the UK system stinks, I wouldn't be in favour of it, despite the fact that your government overlords are hell bent on ramming it through here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Good job we had a teacher around to teach PHK how to use Google.

When did teachers threaten strike, btw PHK?

Yes the teaching council are a useless bunch who tie everything up in paperwork. Many's the engineer who's been told they didn't have the requirement for maths teaching🤣.

But that is not the fault of teachers. You would rarely find a teacher who wouldn't like to see them abolished and brought back to the department of education, like they did in the UK. I'd agree with the UK on that.

• Advertisement

Physics might need to be grouped in with Maths in terms of the need to attract graduates who would have a lot of other options. I feel we could reduce the demand side with Irish by making it optional after the JC.

Optional Irish for LC will never happen. No politician wants to be the one that killed the language lol.

Physics is being let die a death. Stem me hole. Once our physics teacher retires next year the subject is gone.

Jesus they've some neck. Given that's for about 6 months work and zero requirement to over achieve. Presumably anyone in before 2011 is even better off?

Greed is some drug.

Any PS pay rises will have to come from the shared pot. The money could otherwise be used for other things, like say, energy subsidies that benefit everyone, maybe the renters tax credit, free GP for older kids etc.

The other option would be to increase taxes to cover the increase in salaries. Obviously people wouldn't be happy with that, especially with the cost of living at the moment.

I would wonder if it might be better for teachers to have their annual conferences in private. I think some of those in the unions have a wicked sense of humour and like trolling us.

I honestly don't know any teacher who doesn't do grinds/tuition for cash. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wow that was big of you not to strike back in 2010 when the economy was on the floor, companies were going to the wall and people were losing their jobs left right and centre.

Again, google it. Interested to hear what you think would be a fair salary?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Advertisement