Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,

Ordered a id4 gtx today. It was a cancellation order so getting it in July. Wondering where to start with a charger. Meter box side of the house. Car will be in driveway so close enough. Don't have any solar panels.. Wondering what models/suppliers to look at in north county Dublin.

I need to wait for the car dealer to apply for and process the seai grant before doing anything but would like to know what I'm looking at. I see vw do chargers but is it better going for a independent make? I'd like app integration.

Thanks,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Wondering where to start with a charger.

Depends on what you want. Cheap and cheerful or bells and whistles and everything in between.

They will all charge the car.

Things to consider

• You've mentioned you want app integration.... that puts you in the "smart charger" category which straight away bumps the price.
    • Do you care about the look of it? You can get fancy looking ones for massive money (Andersen A2, for instance) or get simple looking like EO Mini.
    • Do you want tethered or untethered. People sometimes pick untethered to make it more discreet but then you have to pull the cable in/out of your car. If you only need to charge once or twice a week that might be fine with you. Personal choice thing.
    • Do you have a budget or are you willing to pay for everything you want?

I see vw do chargers but is it better going for a independent make? I'd like app integration.

The VW charge point does integration with the ID app so you have one app for both the car and the charge point. You need to buy the "connect" version if you want that capability.

The VW charge point is not the most advanced yet, but there is a firmware update supposed to come in the next few months and they are talking about adding lots of new features, but its VW so dont hold your breath.

The VW charge point has load sensing (and some other things) built-in. If you have other high powered devices in the house like a heat pump or electric shower it means you wont have to buy a priority switch(€150-€200), which you would have to buy with some other cheaper charge points, so thats worth keeping in mind.

Most smart charge points have that load sensing also and app integration, e.g. Hypervolt and Zappi.

Thanks for the detailed reply. The vw charger seems an interesting option. I'd need to get someone to fit. I assume I can't order the charger yet? The vw charger can connect to WiFi? It talks about a sim card but I don't want to have to put a data sim and pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I assume I can't order the charger yet?

Once you have grant approval you can buy it but you have to fit it within 6 months or else the grant will lapse and you need to have possession of the car also so I'd hold off until closer to your car delivery date.

The vw charger can connect to WiFi?

Yes, or via ethernet also. When pulling the wires for the power I'd recommend you pull a shielded cat 5e cable also and hard wire the connection. Wires are always more reliable than wireless but it does depend on how far your internet router will be from the charge point and how many insulated walls are in-between.... even if its close, I'd still always go wired.

It talks about a sim card but I don't want to have to put a data sim and pay for it

Thats an optional extra. Targeted to commercial customers really who want to be able to remotely access a charge point where they may not have an internet connection. You wont need that. Just connect to your house internet and you'll have all the access you need.

• Advertisement

Cheers,

So you can't fit the charger till you have the car?

Thanks,

Mick

You can fit it before you have the car but you can’t get the money until after you have the car.

check the SEAI website. All the t&c for the grant are on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Hi all, my in laws have an eo mini procured from EI installed via kn and it’s not working at the moment. Who do they contact to get it fixed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Probably stupid question but does the installer run from the fuse box or the meter on side of the house or can they do either.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Not a stupid question at all, it's been a subject of much discussion. They are allowed to run it from the meter box or the consumer unit, with preference given to the consumer unit. For many homes the meter box is the only viable solution.

Some installers however will not run the cable from the meter box, KN in particular are extremely conservative. I actually kind of hate KN, I walk around my neighbourhood and I see not only a bunch it botched charger installations but also botched fibre internet installs. Check with your installer before booking and installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Thanks Manion is the 7kw 3 phase charger the one i need or the 22kw 3 phase.

i presume if the car doesnt have the 22kw capacity its a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

3-phase?

Unless you have a 3-phase supply a 3-phase charger won't work for you...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You have no choice.

It will be a single phase, 32a/7.4kW charger.

Well the bit that might confuse people is that some chargers are rated to work with either single phase or 3 phase power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

@Cyrus EI were the retailer so go to them first.

Hi folks,

Was looking at ordering the vw charger last night. It mentions not to order until seai letter comes. I have the email from seai stating my grant gas been approved and the dates etc. Do I need to wait for a letter to o arrive in the post before ordering any equipment?

The other thing is the vw checkout page says the charger doesn't include any load balancing which I might need as we have an electric shower?

Do some chargers like the zappi come with the load balancing?

I quite like the idea of the vw charger and app integration etc

Thanks,

Mick

I have the email from seai stating my grant gas been approved and the dates etc.

That should be enough.

The other thing is the vw checkout page says the charger doesn't include any load balancing which I might need as we have an electric shower?

It supports load sensing but you have to buy a few extra bits to utilise it. They dont come in the box itself but are cheap to buy so no big deal. Once you have those for your electrician he then needs to run a shielded twisted pair cable from your incoming tails to the charge point.

Here is a post where I link the two pieces you need to buy

Do some chargers like the zappi come with the load balancing?

Yes, Zappi, Hypervolt etc etc. Plenty have it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

looking at pulling the plug ( excuse pun ) for home charging point

just gonna go with the Qubev bog standard one

is there a way to stop others using it while im in work ?

now i live in a cul de sac and no ev or hev cars in my estate so chances probably nil , but is there any way to stop it being used ?

Wire to the consumer unit and flip the breaker when not in use, or add local isolation switch with a key. I'm sure they exist somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement

It doesn’t happen.

Youd want to be plugged in for hours to run a rivers worth of electricity!

Tou can put a little pad lock on the isolator switch though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Is it pointless to get a charger without load balancing? Local Nissan dealer has a 'free' charger without load balancing. Everything else is around 600€ after the grant. I have 1 electric shower but tbh we don't need to use it as we have pressurised system too that we mainly use.

No, its not pointless. If you are getting it for free absolutely take it.

Depending on your electrician you may have to pay a little extra to get a priority switch installed but you should still be able to do it all within the €600 grant limit, so effectively free to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You getting fed up walking up to Lidl 😊😊? Can't say it's something I ever thought of (someone plugging into my CP) maybe I have nicer neighbours 🤔, anyway as others have suggested a lock through the isolation switch or isolate at the cu.

Straight up stealing the charger is far more common.

@Eircom_Sucks ignore the QUBEV charger.

This has to be the cheapest charger in Ireland at the moment. €299 direct from

tesla, it’s tethered with a 6m cable and will work on any Type 2 Car.

https://shop.tesla.com/en_ie/product/gen-2-wall-connector---2_6m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

the below from the site says otherwise?

Sign in to add to cart

In order to be eligible to purchase this product, you must be a Tesla vehicle owner. Sign in to your Tesla account to which your vehicle is registered to verify your ownership status.

Note: This product is for Tesla vehicles only.

Do you need to be a Tesla owner?

The one on my wall charging the 530e says otherwise 🤣

• Advertisement

Maybe they are limiting it to owners with an account?

Im sure if someone wanted it, a friendly owner would order it for them no problem. It’s a bargain at that price for a home charger.

I posted the same bargain a month or 2 ago when Tesla were and still are selling their Type 2 32a 3 Phase cables for €99 when everyone else looking for €200+

A fee on here bought for their PHEV’s and other cars. My dad bought one for his 530e too.

Advertisement