Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Teachers threaten to strike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think the linked salary scale is more than fair. 52k after 10 years on the job? Almost 40k straight out of college? All for 70% of everyone else's working year?

Only greed would make you think otherwise. But it's human nature. So I'm not surprised that teachers can't see it for what it is.

I'm just jealous they get to go on stage every year and beat their chest like a scene from wolf on wallstreet screaming for more money. I'd fcuking love that too. I'd be biting the head off a pigeon for the baying mob.

But its pure delusion thinking you're being hard done by. You're being paid considerably more than the average PAYE worker, who is essentially the one paying your wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

So neither you nor any teacher you’ve met has ever done grinds. I don’t believe you.

On the tradesmen situation situation, that’s on you for not asking for a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Define improved? The grade inflation that occurred recently with the Leaving Cert wasn't a great indicator of how that might work.

If however it means that the students arriving into 3rd level are comparable with even the weakest students doing likewise back in the 80s/90s when most could differentiate, integrate, do basic probability etc, then perhaps! But with the dumbing down of the curriculum over the last few decades, I'd doubt even the teachers can do the required math.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The three union websites have the pay scales:

www.into.iw

www.asti.ie

www.tui.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Seems to be a metric pulled out of some Union Rep's arse to justify the longest holidays in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There are two pay scales, this is the scale for recent hires:

Revised salary scale for teachers who entered the profession since 1/1/11. 

This includes the full value of the Honours Primary Degree Allowance and a 1% increase to all points effective from 1/10/21.

*Effective from 1st March 2019, scale points 4 and 8 have been removed from post-1st January 2011 ‘new entrant’ scales. The measure means that new and recent entrants will ‘jump’ these points and progress up the scale quicker. 

1€38,192

2€39,735

3€41,4964

€42,300 *

5€43,432

6€44,799

7€46,334

8€47,880- *

9€49,171

10€51,487

11€52,934

12€54,664

13€56,386

14€58,121

15€59,571

16€61,491

17€61,491

18€61,491

19€64,139

20€64,139

21€64,139

22€64,139

23€67,638

24€67,638

25€67,638

26€67,638

27€71,503

It's a long scale!!!

How would you know my profile is locked if you didn’t attempt to stalk it in the first place?

What should a person’s first post be? In your educated opinion?

A difference in opinion is not trolling.

@Beasty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

I dunno when you last watched Wolf of Wallstreet but it's a far cry from the mostly mundane business of congress! 🤣 as for the rest of your post... teachers don't typically start on full pay and 52k after 10 years working full time and 6 years in college isn't outlandish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Out of 40 teachers in our school there's about 5 that do it all the time. The odd few do it for a favour for relative or neighbor.

The ones that do do it are usually under 30. Anyway, not my cup of tea, . If they got rid of the bonus points for honours maths I'd say the numbers taking grinds would have.

Either way it's neither here nor there, I would suggest any teacher do do a cash in hand job to supplement their income. That's fraud.

• Advertisement

Jesus, on one hand your ilk are saying we shouldn't be striking for better pay... and then you're saying we should have.

... and BTW we did strike for pay equality a few years later.... So are you in favour of that or what?

You give the impression that the teacher bashers on here would be happy if teachers worked longer hours.

But it's obvious no matter how long teachers work theyll never be happy.

Maybe you should be campaigning for longer holidays through your Union... rather than hoping a worsening of someone else's position will make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

lots of teachers are on part time

I thought they were all on part-time? 20 hours a week for a few weeks of the year

😋

*runs away*

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Again, maybe you should actually develop some understanding of what happens in reality on the ground before you go making wild generalisations.

Teachers don't start out their careers on the full starting salary. They get part-time work for months or years until they find a full time post. The €40k figure is theoretical only.

I'd be just as happy teaching the old level course as the new stuff, but it was imposed upon us with much fighting and bashing from folk on here.

BTW teachers went on strike opposing this shite new JC curriculum, unions warned of what would happen when project maths was brought in (matrices and vectors killed off ) and hopefully we will strike again when the department of education further dumb down the Leaving Cert.... Will you support us then?

Would have what?

If they got rid of the bonus points for honours maths I'd say the numbers taking grinds would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,803 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Exactly .

Same when the bonus was mooted for healthcare workers..all the usual anti public service / anti union commentators came out with their ill informed comments and bitterness.

The coverage on RTE was not proteacher , but was predictably anti union emphasising any mention of strikes or ballots but little mention of what was actually discussed otherwise.

I am not a teacher and as a parent of a LC student would be aghast if a strike was called as students have suffered enough over the last couple of years . But I know a union move on an agenda when I see one and that is what the teachers unions are doing , and more power to them!

Bashing teachers or other public servants seems to be a ( blood ) sport on boards and most of the posts do not deserve to be replied to , as they are just pure bile ..

The most ridiculous was the 40 year old ' pharmacy worker ' on €100, 000 a year !

What is your problem ,man ? If that is really true , be happy, you're lucky , move on and leave those , on half your salary with probably as much at least , education and college degrees , alone .

Believe me if you invest some of that lovely dosh you are earning in AVCs you will come out well ahead of any ps pension without breaking a sweat .

Teachers are well paid to be fair , and have great terms and conditions, I won't lie, compared to nurses and other public servants , but they teach our children very very well and that to me is worth the money/ holidays.

As for the unions, all down to the strength of the workers, fair play . That is what our forefathers fought for after all , the right to organise and join a union .

Private sector workers really should stop bxxching and moaning and get organised instead .

And for the poster that looks forward to the next time Leo comes out and says , " stop looking for more money ".... just know that is so he and the other tds will have plenty in the pot for their next ( very considerable) payrise .

Go teachers , we are behind you ..😉

Post edited by Goldengirl on

All these people that are making so much money themselves in their jobs, but they care so much about teachers looking for a few quid more a year!

What could their issue be? Begrugery. How is it anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,722 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think most people understand that more pay to teachers means either more taxes, less pay to other public service or less investment in infrastructure. This is pretty much the reason why public service pay deals exist.

The annual nature of it makes it farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

That recently qualified solicitor mentioned working one day from 8am to 2am in the morning. And if you honestly think there is any comparison between the hours a newly qualified accountant would work and a teacher, dream on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

And the 5 year career breaks to Dubai. And then wondering many teaching grads can only get temporary contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

After the total farce that teaching was reduced to during covid the teachers don't deserve their pay rise.

An weekly lump of work dumped on Google Classroom, almost non-existent follow up on work submitted, no communication with parents, etc... etc...

And before anyone says - well that was just your school, it wasn't. Next town over, the same. Lucky to work with folks in every county in Ireland and the vast, vast majority said the same about the shambles that was education delivery during covid.

Teachers made very little effort in the main. A very small handful did, the majority didn't.

Barely back at full steam a few months now and the begging cap is coming out. Some neck.

It's also high time that performance related pay was explored in this profession. Turn out better students then your pay goes up. But not before.

"Turn out better students" what do you think schools are? You may as well say parents should turn out better children.

As regards your knowledge of teaching all over the country during covid.... best left unsaid.

And performance related pay? Explain how that will work exactly without creating a scenario where students and/or teachers are dumped in to less favourable classes or schools? What metrics will apply to 'measure' DEIS schools/school refusers/SEN students/teachers on temporary contracts/students recovering from trauma/ ESL students/gifted students/mid contract teacher changes/ school transfers/ non examinable subjects/ extra curricular etc etc etc

Teachers covering career breaks are eligible for CID so career breaks have no bearing on temporary contracts.

"Turn out better students" what do you think schools are? You may as well say parents should turn out better children.

Yes, schools and their teachers should be turning out better students. That is their job. I agree that parents should turn out better children too in some cases - but this is a thread about teachers.

As regards your knowledge of teaching all over the country during covid.... best left unsaid.

Unsaid, why? It was a farce in the majority of cases.

And performance related pay? Explain how that will work exactly without creating a scenario where students and/or teachers are dumped in to less favourable classes or schools?

Yes, performance related pay. Teachers are paid to get students education levels to a standard that ultimately prepares them for college or the workforce. If the exam grades averaged out over a whole class is poor - then the common denominator is the teacher. Sorry, no pay increase this year, try harder next year.

What metrics will apply to 'measure' DEIS schools/school refusers/SEN students/teachers on temporary contracts/students recovering from trauma/ ESL students/gifted students/mid contract teacher changes/ school transfers/ non examinable subjects/ extra curricular etc etc etc

Teachers are good at giving exams - they should be able to come up with a system that fairly evaluates the teacher's workrate over the school year. Are you not in favour of a performance management review that evaluates the quality of teaching delivered?

Why would anyone compare a teacher and a solicitor?

Totally different jobs, no comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

And of all the teachers I know who do grinds, not one declares to revenue, nor would I wager 95% of other teachers do either.

Being obviously disingenuous doesn't help anybody. Maybe tell your union.

The fact that you think giving exams and measuring performance are the same thing says it all. It's not about being in favour of a performance management review that evaluates the quality of teaching delivered, the inspectorate often pass judgement on the quality of teaching and learning, it's the fact that relating it to performance will exasperate inequality of education at the expense of our most vulnerable students. The fact that you think teachers would be involved in coming up with any such system shows your complete lack of knowledge when it comes to the sector.

The fact that you think that teachers get paid to "get students education levels to a standard that ultimately peroares them for college or the workforce" again undelines your ignorance. Many students leave our education system unable or unwilling to continue on to college or join the workforce for a whole myriad of reasons.

Averaged out exam grades? Definitely comparable for say a 15 student English class in a private fee paying school who read for pleasure compared to a 30 student DEIS school where many students don't own books outsideof their school ones. I know which teacher will have the more challenging workload and also the poorer average class grade. Again, if you knew the first thing about schools, you'd know this.

The fact that you think giving exams and measuring performance are the same thing says it all. It's not about being in favour of a performance management review that evaluates the quality of teaching delivered, the inspectorate often pass judgement on the quality of teaching and learning, it's sthe fact that relating it to performance will exasperate inequality of education at the expense of our most vulnerable students. The fact that you think teachers would be involved in coming up with any such system shows your complete lack of knowledge when it comes to the sector.

Sorry but no. There has to be a performance measurement. As I said, the average of the whole class metric will ensure that weaker students are given more attention in order to bring the overall class average up.

The fact that you think that teachers get paid to "get students education levels to a standard that ultimately peroares them for college or the workforce" again undelines your ignorance. Many students leave our education system unable or unwilling to continue on to college or join the workforce for a whole myriad of reasons.

Stop making excuses for poor teaching. Unable is the teacher's fault, unwilling is theirs.

Averaged out exam grades? Definitely comparable for say a 15 student English class in a private fee paying school who read for pleasure compared to a 30 student DEIS school where many students don't own books outsideof their school ones. I know which teacher will have the more challenging workload and also the poorer average class grade. Again, if you knew the first thing about schools, you'd know this.

Again, more excuses. Digital books can be got for free in most cases with regards to the leisure reading material most schools give to their students to read as most of the titles are outside of copyright protection. Kids with needs also get access to these books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

Another thinly veiled teacher bashing thread! Yawn!

Advertisement