Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Maybe the west doesn't get involved militarily, but they also definitely won't be getting involved economically.

We WOULD have got involved militarily if Putin had not raised the nuclear threat. And because of that threat 5 million people have been displaced so far. Tens of thousands have been killed. And women and babies are raped. Yet you have supreme confidence in the fact that we'll stand rigid and flatly refuse to do business with him if he made the same threat about trade.

Threatening the west with nuclear weapons doesn't get them to trade with you.

How do you know that? Simple answer: You don't. It's just your opinion.

I hope you're right - we all just have to wait and see how things pan out.

I just feel there are going to be some mighty big shocks to come - I hope I'm wrong.

Post edited by goldenmick on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Maybe build a quick landing and take off runway in the farthest regions of Western Ukraine.

Roll some Migs across the border from a secret location in the EU and let the ukrainian pilots fly from there.

Refuel Them over in the sky over EU and off they go again.

Mad thought I know but maybe a risk worth taking as they will need air support on the Eastern front

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Nobody ever died going cold turkey from heroin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Not much point having a huge supply chain and no market. It's not the market that suffers in a economic squeeze its the supply chain. The market just stops buying. The supply chain has already invested its money in order to make sure it had product for the market.

It's just like the idea of Russia turning off the gas to Germany. Germany would suffer a minor recession. Russia on the other hand would collapse. If Germany squeezed Russia for only a couple of weeks the shock waves in Russia would derail the war and create panic even at the highest levels of society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As far as Germany is concerned the economy is sacrosanct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Are you German or have German family? You spend an awful lot of time defending their response to the war whilst simultaneously complaining about Ireland's response.

Do you know how many Russian diplomats were even in Ireland to begin with? Is it possible that smaller countries closer to the halls of European power or to eastern Europe might tend to contain more diplomats? Or that embassies in countries with larger native Russian populations or conversely larger ethnic populations in Russia might tend to contain more diplomats? I mean there are plentiful reasons that Russia's Ireland mission would be smaller than many others in Europe and beyond.

I mean the supreme irony here is Ireland is entirely on its own if Russia decide to bomb us into next year. We will get no more support from NATO, the EU, or any other nation than Ukraine has gotten; yet we're still siding with Ukraine, supporting their rapid accession into the EU, sending them humanitarian and military (albeit not lethal) aid (even though we have never been a belligerent in any conflict other than against our occupier), taking in their refugees, calling for Russia's expulsion from human rights bodies, and co-signing UN resolutions to try and apply pressure on Russia.

And there sits Germany, smack bang in the middle of Europe and EU, surrounded on all sides by numerous air defence systems and ships, a member of NATO, stores nuclear weapons for use by NATO, 3rd largest standing army in the EU, 2nd largest yearly defence budget in the EU, 4th largest arms exporter in the world, was a belligerent in two world wars over the last century and a bit; and it won't even let its massive arms industry sell outdated vehicles to Ukraine.

If you still want to argue that somehow Germany and Ireland are "just the same" then I don't even know what to say to that.

Yes it is and always has been. They shoved us under the bus to save themselves in 2008. Now they're throwing the Ukrainians under it and reversing over them just to be sure. The French and Germans have done more damage to the EU in their response to this war than all shenanigans that went on through the banking crisis and covid. They're a disgrace and the rest of Europe should let them know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

If I, as an Irish passport holder, had been living and working in Russia, on February 24th I would have started getting my affairs in order and made a plan to leave that cesspit of a country asap. If I had any wobbles about my decision, Putin's nuclear threat within that week would have sealed it for me. I can't see how any Westerner, or any right -thinking person would live there. I know there's family issues etc. but as an Irish passport holder I would have the entitlement to get my family to Ireland. The innocent citizens of Ukraine didn't have the choice that I would have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Not mad at all, I think it's the kind of thinking that will swing it for Ukraine. Play Putin at his own game - "sure we're only selling them fuel, this is the safest way as we didn't want to offend you"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭swiwi_

In other news, Germany is threatening to invade Ireland. « Too many Nazis on boards.ie posting willy-nilly anti-German rhetoric ». Or as the Germans actually said « villy-nilly »

So if an Irish citizen has married into a Russian family, has all their money tied up in Russia, has their home there, their kids and their friends, their livelihoods... they're just supposed to drop it all, move back to Ireland with no money and.... do what? Stay in a hotel? Homeless shelter? Wait until they can sell their house in roubles and then... what? Exchange it how for Euros? How are they to send the money to Ireland so they can afford anything?

Aside from anything else closing the embassy does nothing concrete to Russia; it just sends a political message. We've already done that via the UN, the EU, by expelling diplomats.

The Irish government is charged with protecting Irish citizens and that includes citizens abroad in all kinds of circumstances. Arguing to withdraw that support and leave them potentially isolated just because they can't easily leave Russia immediately is utterly ridiculous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The nuclear threat was already there. It didn't need Putin to make any declaration, just the fact that it was Russia meant that NATOs hands were tied. Just the same as if it was China going into Taiwan.

But no one has ever opened up friendly trade deals with someone else because they are having a gun, or nuclear weapons, pointed at them. You may trade with them despite the threat of violence, or war, but not because of.

The west started trading increasingly with Russia after the fall of the USSR, even though they had nuclear weapons, not because Russia was threatening war but because of the potential for peace. By Russia starting a war the trade that had built up over the last 30 years has all been wiped out and isn't coming back anytime soon, certainly not if Russia is threatening the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Germans are really not endearing themselves to the Ukrainians at all. I read that a German arms exporter was even offering to send arms to Ukraine at no cost but their application to export was turned down by Berlin.

Germany should be driving the European response. Instead within the EU it's the Baltic nations, the Czechs, Slovaks and Poland with a now outside the EU UK. A ban on Russian hydrocarbons would cripple Russia's ability to carry on the criminal endeavour of this invasion.

History won't be kind to Scholzs government.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

No, what's utterly ridiculous is spending large sums of money to keep a facility open for a handful of people who obviously are quite happy where they are or would have left already. Going by your logic we should open an embassy in North Korea and maybe one in the Antarctic incase some Tom Crean wannabe decides he wants to take a saunter across the ice caps and gets in a spot of bother.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Flat pack planes from IKEA. Hopefully there are no screws missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Ah yes the old brexiteer argument of 80% of the worlds population been outside of Europe/the west. That’s also where 80% (probably more) of the worlds poverty is.

Russia is a country that has millions of people employed in troll farms and security/ policing going around watching for people holding up blank signs on the street and changing tags on supermarket shelves. Real productive use of human capital there. It also has thousands more incarcerated for stupid harmless offences and it’s smartest people are leaving the country in droves or are exiled. It’s going nowhere as a country. China is worse and has even more people employed in unproductive insane big brother roles to protect the regime. Outside the big cities it is a medieval country. In living memory the Chinese spent their time banging pots and pans to stop swallows from nesting resulting in a massive famine. Autocracies tend to collapse under the weight of their own bullshit.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Alot of questions...I must have annoyed you. No I'm Irish with no German links whatsoever. I mainly just read along rather than post, and find the thread useful as a news aggregator. I don't have that many (or maybe any) unique thoughts or insight about this situation to share that others better able are not already doing a good job of providing so don't always post.

I don't agree at all with the hysterical bile about the Germans (Russia's "ally" in the war one would almost believe and "blood on its hands") that gets dished out here (mostly by @Danzy in fairness but not exclusively by him!).

I don't think it is good for anyone, and it deserves to have someone challenge it in text with a small dose of reality + perspective and a reminder of Ireland's own flaws. This is an Irish focussed site after all isn't it, it is Ireland most of us will know best perhaps.

Noone else seemed to be doing it this particular evening, and so I posted. You have a point that maybe I've done somewhat too much of it now (and becoming a broken record/bore), so will try and refrain from now on.

On the embassy, there are alot more than 4 staff in there anyway...read in some other reports that the embassy complement of "diplomats" is completely outsized e.g. below article states there are 31 actual diplomats in it and presumably other staff helping them too:

As said, despite the large complement I assume we expelled just 4, because, and I speculate here, our own embassy in Russia is likely of a more normal size given population of Irish in Russia and trade links (i.e. it is tiny) - so if we expel a big block of Russians and Russia just retaliates in tit for tat fashion it will either be rendered unable to do any work or closed.

As for us being "entirely on our own" in face of any threat from Russia, we are not as we are an EU member same as a number of others that are in EU, and neutral, and still I believe did not equivocate somewhat on the EU aid facility as we did (this was/has been my main personal gripe with what Ireland has done - edit: I should say it is not a "major" gripe + think we've most done a good job). I don't think we'd be left entirely to our own devices either if a military (or some "grey zone" type) attack was launched by Russia on the country, but I admit you are right to point out we are more exposed given we're defenceless against any type of aggression whatsoever (unlike those other "neutrals") as well as being in no military alliance.

Yes, I agree far more is rightly expected of Germany than of us given its position and influence, the huge size of its economy, its arms industry etc. etc. Maybe not its military, as everything I've been reading suggests it is in a very poor state and not at all ready for war (or to help another country fight a war by giving supplies) despite a rapid increase in spending over last couple of years. It is still useful to reflect IMO on what Ireland is actually doing or not doing here in its own much smaller and far less vital way when people here take up the cudgels about all the German failings.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

These look like they could be very useful for the Ukrainians. 300 to 500 km range depending on the munitions loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭wassie

Relocating from Russia back to Ireland does sound like a no brainer....until you exit Dublin airport to find you cant get a rental or buy a house!

Excellent, stick a couple of starstreak systems and javelins close by to protect them and they could bring untold hell for advancing Russia troops. Real morale killers

I'm highly sceptical this is a video of equipment being transferred to Ukraine.

Considering they're only just talking about training Ukrainians on howitzers in some "unnamed eastern European country"; I don't see why or how they would have transferred a bunch of these vehicles. They also look brand new to me; although they could just be well maintained.

Also the M142 HIMARS has a range of up to 300km; I don't see anyone transferring weapons to Ukraine with that kind of range. It's also compatible with precision guided munitions; again a capability I can't imagine Ukraine being given.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong though; because these would be amazing for Ukraine.

Large sums of money? How much are we talking about here?

I mean despise Russia all you want; but closing the embassy serves no purpose other than to make it more difficult for Russian people who legitimately want to stay in Ireland to access consular services and vice versa for Irish people in Russia who can't leave or might be in the process of trying to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's only few spare parts as in a few pieces .

No complete aircraft or functional aircraft from anyone ,the gas thing is America has Russian Migs and suhkoi jets they bought off the likes of Moldova, add the 30 mig 29s from Poland they could give Ukraine 60 odd combat aircraft,

If they don't or won't let them have jets give them predator and reapers with as many hellfire missles they can give ,

Even the newer variant that comes with 2 miniguns and 10 + hellfires would be an absolute game changer to the Ukrainians .

Give them C-rams to take out incoming missles and rockets too

I agree with you about the hyperbole being bandied about: Germany had a strategy to keep Russia close to Europe and the EU and to try and develop trade and other ties. Ultimately the strategy failed; but nobody knows what the alternative would have looked like either. Maybe a more isolated Russia might have invaded Ukraine fully in 2014 and Ukraine would have collapsed completely; who knows.

In any case I think the focus should be not on what Germany may or may not have done in the past; it should be about what it's doing right now. And unfortunately I don't think they're doing nearly enough (for all the reasons already stated).

I mean I definitely think we could do more and send some military vehicles for example; but we equally have to remember that our military neutrality has been a fairly core part of our national identity and also our diplomatic and international identity. I don't think the benefits to Ukraine that our measly supply of armoured vehicles could provide are such that it would be a clear reason to drop our military neutrality and sacrifice whatever little diplomatic power we might be able to leverage in the future. And also there is the threat of Russia making an example out of us in some way.

As for the diplomats I'm all for expelling more but I also think it's important to keep diplomacy and consular services alive; I don't see how it benefits anyone to force embassies to close. We should be welcoming Russians who genuinely don't want anything to do with their government; and having a working embassy is one of the ways we can do that.

I definitely agree that we should be critical of everyone's response and not just dumping on Germany constantly; I made a couple of posts today mentioning that somehow France and Macron have been forgotten about even though they're the biggest EU army and seem to have given the least support of anyone beyond talking the ear off Putin.

And apologies if I came across aggressively; wasn't my intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭maebee

Better than being trapped in the basement of your house in Maripuol with no food or water and being bombed by your neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I believe most European professional footballers and coaching staff who were playing in the Russian league left the country for the reasons you outline. It would be nigh on impossible to remain in a country of war criminals and warmongers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What you call hysterical bile against Germany by me and a few others, the others including leading German investigate journalists, the Ukrainian Govt, numerous German economists, ex Ministers, leading Governing party members, academics, nearly every govt in Eastern Europe, the French PM etc etc etc.

It's not anti German, it's Anti Putin, Just putting pressure on one of his only allies.

If Germany walks away from Russia, it's over for Putin and the war in Ukraine.

If they continue as is then Putin will win through taking East of Dneiper, in a war of attrition and mass loss.

Germany will then step in as peace maker and settle the new territory of Russia in to a new order in Eastern Europe.

Berlin will get cheap gas and deals on resources in payment for a job well done.

It may well overplay it's hand and face a united Eastern Europe who have seen it unmasked. As is Germany has destroyed its name in Eastern Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

UK Defence Ministry say they believe Russia has made very little actual progress in the East in the last 24 hours - that's an encouraging sign.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement