Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ukraine has apparently increased it's military aircraft fleet after receiving military aid from an undisclosed state,

America sent a few wings and other parts literally a few bits but no complete functional aircraft,but someone sent something that flys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

You've lost perspective when you claim they have blood on their hands or responsibility for the war or are somehow allied with Russia/have a pro Russian agenda here. That to me is anti German, not just anti German govt. or anti German policy. edit: I haven't seen those "others" you mention come out with anything like the aggression you have (apart perhaps from the Ukrainians at times - see below). I don't see how it helps. Much of that post is mad stuff - sorry.

I don't think an energy trade embargo by Germany means the war just stops the next day it is imposed. It will do to Russia faster what the existing sanctions are doing more slowly, it won't make Russia's stocks of weapons (old but still good for wrecking cities) and military manpower just disappear.

As to the Ukrainians their perspective here is probably not the clearest either as they are fighting for their lives. They also want NATO to effectively go to war for them and fight Russia ("close the sky"). I don't see anyone, even US/UK that are praised vs Germany for better support to Ukraine, rushing in to do that right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Good news. But far too late. This should have happened weeks ago. But still, they will be put to good use.

While the aircraft are probably soviet era ones that UA pilots can fly, i wonder if the armaments' have also been upgraded!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The planes obviously came from Germany.......🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Completely agree, and I think there's a pattern beginning to show - every time Putin escalates, the military aid to Ukraine increases, thereby putting Putin in a feedback situation and making him the cause of every effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

It's great that they're finally getting some artillery supplies; it was artillery that did a lot of the damage to Russia during the initial days of the war (and ever since in fact).

I really hope the rumours about the M142 HIMARS is true; those things can fire up to 300km which means just about every military target inside Ukraine is in range; including some very expensive radar and anti-aircraft installations in Crimea. Something tells me it would be too good to be true but maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think you are overestimating the role of Irish embassies abroad. If an Irish citizen chooses to buy a house in Russia and now cant sell it or get the roubles home then thats on them, not the Irish state. If they lose their passport they will issue an emergency one so they can get back to Dublin to replace it with a new one. If an Irish citizen is imprisoned a third secretary will visit them to make sure they have legal representation but they cannot subvert local laws. Thats pretty much the extent of their role for Irish citizens living abroad.

Plus there are over 100 countries in the world that do not have an Irish embassy or consulate. Adding one more wouldnt make any difference because if you need assistance for an emergency passport then the Department of Foreign Affairs will tell you to go to the local British embassy. They provide Irish consular services in countries where there is no Irish consulate. Many Irish passports abroad are collected in British embassies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All seems very 'Lord of War' with Nicolas Cage.

Send a Helicopter in one container and send the weapons n military components in another container.

Sure the helicopter is just for rescue purposes and the weapons are for existing units...of course these two would never be combined.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

I would not be opposed at all to NATO forces entering Ukraine in order to push Russian forces out of Ukraine. Not in principle at least. Making it clear that this was a defensive campaign that only went up to the Ukrainian border would be the best bet to prevent it ballooning into something far bigger, but this is in no way a given when taking into consideration how Putin is acting. I wouldn't expect him to go, "Ah yeah, fair enough..." on that.

But the big problem would be that NATO cannot and should not fight in Ukraine where Russia can fire rockets at them from inside Russia, or artillery when NATO got closer to the border, and NATO can't respond. That stuff would need to be neutralised by someone and that would mean attacking Russia directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭josip

Rheinmetall have struggled to produce stuff ever since they lost all that cheap labour they had back in the 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I remember seeing this a few years ago, don't now how they would match up against Russian Migs though

Takeoff and land from any wide enough street or avenue

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

They don't have the power or thrust vectoring of the Russian suhkois mig 31 but light , fast and very advanced avionics and data links makes the saab griphen very capable aircraft

Imagine just as it's been recommended to rebrand the air corp to the Air Force our few armed planes end up elsewhere

The Americans sent 18 howitzers and something like 40,000 round of 155 mm shells , still only a relatively small number of guns they could definitely do with larger numbers

That has got to be justification to blow the Nordstream gas pipeline

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Excellent overview of the situation from the yanks (who have been pretty spot on so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The fact Ireland doesn't have many embassies or consulates is purely a function of Ireland's size and demographics. We are an overwhelmingly (or certainly until recently have been) western European nation with a population of some 5 million. Our diaspora is largely confined to the Americas, Britain, and Australia. So the fact that Ireland has an embassy at all in Russia should tell you that there is a demand for it.

As for your assertion that it's "not the Irish state's problem" you're partially right; but the point is that Irish citizens may not be able to just up and leave Russia at a moment's notice. They may require time and support to unwind their Russian assets and try to return back to Ireland without being a further drain on Ireland's public services. Public services which are already stretched amid a housing crisis and war in Europe by the way.

You're also ignoring services for Russians who might want to escape Russia and work in Ireland.

Let me try a different approach: what exactly does shutting down the Irish embassy in Russia and the Russian embassy in Ireland achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

More insight from how the sanctions and controls are hurting Russia

Inventories will run out very soon and inflation will soar. (2/11)

Andrei Belousov, deputy prime minister [this one wasn't reported in the West, but it's crucial]: economic stimulus to fight the crisis without risking further inflation is limited to 7-8 trln rubles and the government has already reached this limit. (4/11)

Thus there's not much room to further stimulate the economy financially. (5/11)

Overall: economic sanctions are very effective at disrupting the Russian economy. Whether they can weaken the war machine is another matter. There are two factors: 1) overall military budget, 2) dependence on imports in the military-industrial complex. (6/11)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's about giving them as much as possible while, plausibly, saying that they're not taking part. This has been getting ramped up for weeks and could eventually become a proxy war but actually involving Russia. NATO gets the equipment used in combat to reduce the Russian war machine, better than any exercises. While it's hard to see what the west can do to stop russia rolling into a non-NATO country, It's equally difficult to see what limit russia can put on the weapons being supplied against them, most country's are ignoring their threats now, not so a few weeks ago.

It has gone nowhere near to plan for putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,399 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The poor oul' Oligarchs won't be too happy and the Putster's latest decree removing Russian companies from foreign exchanges.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If an Irish citizen in Russia needs consular assistance then they will still get it, all they have to do is ring the DFA on Stephens Green and ask to speak to the Russia desk. Theres no difference between doing that and walking into the Irish embassy in Moscow because ultimately they will still get assistance in so far as any embassy working abroad can do it. If they need an emergency passport the British embassy will supply it, an arrangement that has been in place for decades and works perfectly well.

As for your question I would ask does Ireland as a nation state really want diplomatic relations with another nation state whose leader has no scruples in his army murdering civilians, raping women and sexually abusing children? Im not alright with that and nor should the Irish State be. Its a waste of time keeping an Irish ambassador in Moscow with his phone bugged and all the rest, its not like he is going to convince Putin to end the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Apparently, the head of the Central Bank is one of the very rare good guys in the regime and is no fan of Putin's, which is how she is able to give an honest assessment of what is actually happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Germany have prioritised protection of their economy and wealth over the lives and welbeing of Ukrainians In the face of a country that uses war crimes as SOP and doctrine. They are atrocious; tiny and far less resourced Baltic states have done far more. And what really underlines the moral paucity of your'e defending them is the large numbers of Germans who are angry and embarrassed at their governments unhelpfulness the shenanigans of saying one thing and doing another that's been going on, which has been contemptible.

Are you for real trying to paint the Ukrainians as being muddle headed? They have prosecuted an extraordinarily well run military conflict against a previously thought to be unbeatable foe that has surprised the world and not put a foot wrong, but they aren't smart enough to be able to tell which countries have been helpful and which haven't? Zelenskyy has been universally praised, he's got the Germans sussed to a 't'.

Your appraisal is complete nonsense.

Post edited by cnocbui on

In the past 48hrs, Ukraine has downed an SU-30, and 34.

It shuts down a key hub of Russia's espionage and intelligence networks in Europe. Calling it an embassy is is a disgrace. That intelligence centre is assisting Russia's war effort and working against Ukraine's. In doing so it's playing a part in killing Ukrainians and enabling the commission of huge numbers of war crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Fly Agric has a poor attitude towards the Ukrainians.

They are not an infantile people who do not know what is good for them or who their real friends are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Basically any 4th Gen fighter would wipe the floor with Mig-29's. Most air-conbat nowadays is conducted BVR ( Beyond Visual Range) and the Gripens and associated AMRAAM's are excellent in this regard.

Migs, while simple and practical in construction, and with some having avionics upgrades, are only as good as their pilots and available weapons systems. Plus their radar is abysmal.

Another poster below mentions thrust-vectoring. Impressive to look at in an airshow display, not much good in a BVR dust-up. Did any Russian aircraft enthusiasts go to RIAT the year Mig displayed their Thrust-Vectoring proof of concept aircraft? It was before the concept was installed on the Su-34's. What an aircraft! Here's a vid of the display. Impressive at close quarters in a dogfight, but pretty useless against 5th gen fighters ( some of whom incidently also have TV) who can dispatch you from over100km away.

Anyone here at RIAT the year of this display? Anyone going this year?

https://youtu.be/BdVJPZAKAQE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A story on how Germany broke an EU embargo on weapons sales to Russia post 2014.

Germany have not been fooled, they haven't been naive, they have been complicit and see a conquered Ukraine as ensuring security of cheap resources from their Russian ally.

Ukraine gets promises. Russia gets weapons and Billions of Euro.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement