Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

No need to overthink this, everything always comes down to finance. 

Enterprise wants cheap resources (humans in this context) and access to new markets. Politicians are incentivised to enable flows of price efficient labour into their countries. The media is incentivised to produce endless content about the benefits of the ensuing "melting pot". They will also instruct your neighbours on how to ostracise anyone who might not fully agree - they're just racists, bigots, nazis,...

Looking for motivations other than finance is naive. There is no "diversity is good for us" first principles motivation in play here with our politicians and corporations. That fiction is just something you read and, in a moment when your guard was down, believed in the newspapers.

Make no mistake, we have zero choice regarding multiculturalism but that does not mean we have to blindly accept there are no significant drawbacks. Sure if we did that then our new friends and neighbours would think they've landed in a country of fools ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I didn’t try to push anything on you; you chose to interject of your own accord.

As for the rest of it - meh, the usual rhetoric adding nothing to the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Wow, people are wound up in this thread! 😀

For a single line comment, there are paragraphs of words being put into others mouths here. Care to point out where I said I dislike "<Trump/Boris/Wilson some other random person I dont like>"? Or that I said that you "agree with everything else that they say"? etc.

Without resorting to more reduction to absurdity by mentioning Hitler, please.

Feel free to debate each others viewpoint on the offshoring of the Australian refugee processing. It sounds like you both have very interesting and conflicting opionions on how well it is working out.

But on the point in question, processing applications offshore seems to work very effectively in places like Australia and yet I haven't seen any outcry on boards about it. They must be on to something so!

Not really. It's turned out to be a very mixed series of results most of which were negative. Yes, there has been a drop in illegal immigration by boat, but they've opened themselves up to a wide range of legal proceedings as a result. The problem is the UN, and the requirements set forth by them. Unless you're willing to leave the UN, you're kinda screwed if you break their bigger mandates. If you're a western nation, that is. It ends up with loads upon loads of legal battles.

Also, the costs involved for a relatively small number of people have been huge. Originally, the scheme would have affected about 20k people, but between a wide range of events, that dropped considerably. It's also worth noting that this scheme only really affected illegal entry of those claiming Asylum by boat.. those arriving by plane were processed under the old rules, as were those asylum seekers sent to them from other countries.

TBH it's not really a viable option for Australia in the long term. Now, the UK.. I really think it's all a publicity stunt. Rwanda. ffs. A nation with a past genocide, an authoritarian government and has failed a number of human rights investigations, while also blocking access of British inspection teams. It just doesn't sound all that realistic. Personally, I still suspect it was done to generate interest in a national debate over immigration. Boris has started a feeding frenzy between those for and those against,... and in the meantime, a wide range of alternative ideas will be suggested instead to avoid such a debacle. That way the ideas come from others, not from his party, and so, there might be room for dealing with some of the outstanding issues in British society regarding migrants.

All the same, I wouldn't be too surprised if the initial test plan of sending out a large chunk of the single foreign men who arrived fleeing various wars, would still be sent. I can't really imagine them dumb enough to try sending women and children. It would be political suicide, even in Britain. There's still too much sympathy when the different genders are considered. But yeah, I could see them getting away with dumping a pile of single males in Africa, scrapping the scheme, and doing their best to forget anything about these guys.

Wow, people are wound up in this thread!

Exaggerate much?

For a single line comment, there are paragraphs of words being put into others mouths here. Care to point out where I said I dislike "<Trump/Boris/Wilson some other random person I dont like>"? Or that I said that you "agree with everything else that they say"? etc.

First off, I'm not that other poster. Don't combine us or our opinions. Secondly, I stated it clearly. Guilt by association through particularly vague ideas. Can't really make that one easier to understand, unless you want me to start talking to a 8 year old. After all, you laid down the initial association. Intentionally.

Feel free to debate each others viewpoint on the offshoring of the Australian refugee processing. It sounds like you both have very interesting and conflicting opionions on how well it is working out.

Nope. Beyond what I posted above, I won't be talking any more about it because there's already a thread dedicated to it.

Still, it is rather telling that you would pop into the thread, just to drop the link, and then seek to withdraw from the discussion. Sets the tone for any more of your posts I might see... and now know to ignore.

• Advertisement

It was announced as a distraction tactic to divert attention away from his problems related to the lockdown party and the resultant fines. Typical Bojo move and he's done it in the past whenever he has found himself in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭alexv

These multikulti leftist cults, and their devotees, are a self-defeating bunch: the more Central and Eastern Europeans settle in Ireland, the further it will swing politically to the right; the more migrants arrive from developing African and Asian countries, the greater the risk of physical harm to the typical progressive voter; a growing population can only lead to even more environmental angst among already neurotic millenials and zoomers; increasing labour supply will drive poverty levels up and real wages down; critical education, health and housing deficiencies can only be exacerbated to the point of collapse.

Whether it's their intention or not, they are accelerating toward a truly dystopian future - worse for them than for anyone else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The "inbreeding" stuff is beyond silly on so many levels, though the whole "breeding" thing seems to wind up both the Right On and the Right Wing. The latter gets the horn over the notion of being "replaced, bred out", the former seems to get the horn about us all turning into beautiful sallow skinned brown eyed people. Both seem obsessed with "racial purity" or the lack of it and neither is going to happen.

Cultural diversity which isn’t based upon biology, brings innovation and new ideas and leads to a better educated and informed society, as evidenced by the drop-off in adherence to religion that has been witnessed in Irish society in the last 50 years or so.

Which happened before inward migration to this country kicked off in the late 1990's and that had pretty much zero to do with those changes. If we look to our closest neighbour they've imported attitides in a few communities that far more ape Irish Catholic attittudes of the 1950's than Irish agnostic attitudes of today. Cultural migrations positive and negative can and do happen without physical ones and for most of human history that's been the case. Where it hasn't such migrations were on the back of conquest and invasion. Even in those cases the numbers were usually pretty low. An example where they weren't was in Europe during the agricultural revolution where the population of existing hunter gatherers was effectively replaced across Europe.

One of the truly unfortunate aspects of Irish history is that being on the periphery of Europe, and importing much of our cultural cues from the far side of the Atlantic,

The vast majority of our "cultural cues" came from much closer to home and from the near side of the Irish sea, or from the Vatican. The American influence is at best a 20th century thing and didn't have much impact until the 21st and even then is mostly surface stuff and hard lines drawn on the interwebs. Outside a minority of of dribbling eejits going on about "MAGA" or "intersectionality" our political landscape is very different, as is our social landscape(and long may that continue). If we took so much from America then it doesn't explain your contentions around our cultural attitudes to entrepreneurial pursuits. Napoloeon described the English as a nation of shopkeepers and it would be apt to describe Americans as a nation of salesmen. The American Dream(tm) is almost entirely based on entrepreneurship.

Your take on the Famine and reasons for it is beyond head scratching.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I see the confusion now, you responded to a post where I was looking for (and Im still waiting to receive) the reasons why cultural diversity and population diversity would "do us good" as one poster stated you seem to be talking about the word diversity in all its guises within Ireland already and historically, a different topic in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Higher carbon emissions too. Happy with that?? Or are you talking out the other side of your mouth today??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

@Wibbs whenever the diversify gene pool argument comes up my question is always this: if we are to add genes to the gene pool, why not go for the premium stuff?

Dare I ask Cordell, what’s the premium stuff?

Genuine question btw as I don’t imagine genetics can be categorised in those terms that couldn’t be based upon human evaluations of what they consider premium and substandard. Various eugenics movements have tried to promote their ideals of genetic superiority, but that’s never gone well.

It's a ridiculous argument in any case. Natural migration, and assimilation would take care of any need for new DNA. The people who argue this point tend to look back in time to support themselves rather than acknowledging the realities of the modern world.

The "inbreeding" stuff is beyond silly on so many levels, though the whole "breeding" thing seems to wind up both the Right On and the Right Wing. The latter gets the horn over the notion of being "replaced, bred out", the former seems to get the horn about us all turning into beautiful sallow skinned brown eyed people. Both seem obsessed with "racial purity" or the lack of it and neither is going to happen.

The point wasn’t about the politics of it though. I couldn’t care less for the politics which are, for want of a better expression - skin deep. In terms of genetics, diversity among a population means the whole population isn’t wiped out by some form of disease. Some will be resistant, or indifferent to whatever diseases are doing the rounds, and so it isn’t necessary to talk about how many humans would be necessary to reboot the human species were something to wipe out an entire population. The whole point was about the benefits of diversity.

The vast majority of our "cultural cues" came from much closer to home and from the near side of the Irish sea, or from the Vatican. The American influence is at best a 20th century thing and didn't have much impact until the 21st and even then is mostly surface stuff and hard lines drawn on the interwebs. Outside a minority of of dribbling eejits going on about "MAGA" or "intersectionality" our political landscape is very different, as is our social landscape(and long may that continue). If we took so much from America then it doesn't explain your contentions around our cultural attitudes to entrepreneurial pursuits. Napoloeon described the English as a nation of shopkeepers and it would be apt to describe Americans as a nation of salesmen. The American Dream(tm) is almost entirely based on entrepreneurship.

You could go back a bit earlier than the 20th century for how much of our cultural cues were imported from the far side of the Atlantic -

https://allthingsliberty.com/2014/05/ireland-and-the-american-revolution/

The more recent daft stuff emanating from US-centric social media isn’t even comparable to be fair with the way Irish society was previously influenced by American society and cultures. The stuff that’s floating about on social media nowadays is simply the product of us being some 20 years behind American society. I think the numbers of people in Ireland who are actually attuned to that nonsense are grossly overestimated, by both sides, from their own perspective.

I didn’t say we took everything from America, there’s plenty we didn’t import, including the idea of entrepreneurship. There’s plenty of young entrepreneurs among Irish people, but our education system just doesn’t encourage or foster entrepreneurship, it still encourages those people to emigrate to avail of opportunities abroad, and then there are some people, as is evidenced by this particular thread, who hold fast to romanticised notions of revolution and rebellion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We already had more than enough genetic diversity in our population. The disease aspect would hold some weight in a much smaller population, but even there the chances of a percentage of the existing population having some resistance would be very high. There isn't an epidemic in history that killed 100% of any population, or anything close to it, even in genetically narrow populations. During the Black Death there are reports of small villages consisting of quite interrelated people cut off from the rest of the country where many died, even the majority, but there were always survivors and that's with numbers in the hundreds, even dozens. With more diversity you also increase the risk of population specific diseases and conditions where they weren't present before. An example would be sickle cell disease found in African populations but pretty much nowhere else. This "benefit" of diversity is an utterly empty one.

As for American cultural cues. The American Revolution was inspired in many regards by the French one, it doesn't mean America has too many French cultural cues beyond extremely local ones(It has far more German). The vast majority of Ireland's cultural cues over the last five centuries came from England and Rome.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Whether it's their intention or not, they are accelerating toward a truly dystopian future - worse for them than for anyone else.

There's no point, no matter how bad things are, when they'll admit something like that. We could be living in 3rd world conditions, and they'll still be trying to either justify the world view that brought us there, or another tactic that they like, try and shift blame to the people who've warned about this for years. We already seen this mindset already when our new guests have killed or harmed Irish women, and instead of going "those people who warned us had a point", they shift blame to men in general, even though some of us men have been the ones who warned that this would happen. Or even more recently with the recent murders, instead of blaming immigration, or a certain other belief system, they blame the church. In all my years following them I've never once seen them take even the slightest bit of blame for any one the problems they've welcomed into our nation, and I'll put my life on it that they never will. Nothing can be learned when the people who need to learn refuse to learn.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

It’s not so empty that it can be so easily dismissed, which is the same thing that’s been done throughout the thread in relation to both multiculturalism and immigration - ask for the positives, when the positives are given, point out that they’re of no significance whatsoever compared to the potential negative consequences of an imagined mass invasion of immigrants who are portrayed as being of a hive mindset.

Sure the American revolution was inspired by the French, but that’s using a different argument to dismiss the idea that we imported much of our cultural cues from the US. I’m not suggesting we didn’t import anything in terms of our culture from England and Rome, we did obviously. The point I was making is that we developed very differently to the rest of Europe because we’re on the periphery of Europe.

None of that is arguing the case in favour either multiculturalism or immigration because I don’t think there’s any need to. Both multiculturalism and immigration are inevitable and as much as some people may want to, it’s just not possible to control either phenomenon to the degree they would want to, let alone does it do anything to promote their own ideas of what being Irish mean or what ideas they mean by culture.

That one horrific murder had the usual pundits loudly screeching for Irish Men(tm) as an entire group* to wear sackcloth and ashes over their "toxic masculinity", but when it turned out in that instance to not be an Irish man the pundits and press fell remarkably silent, remarkably quickly. It nicely illustrated just how hypocritical and extreme in their views these morons can be.

*White men being about the only group one can treat as a whole prejudically.

Has it ever occurred to you that your efforts to disguise yourself as the canary in the coal mine are transparent af?

Probably not.

• Advertisement

The press have the sense not to discuss a case when it is before the courts, hence silence.

But of course, you know that, it just suits you to frame it as something else.

It is obviously a joke, the only reply that this argument is worthy of - as you rightly put it, eugenics is horrible stuff and the gene pool that needs improvement argument also belongs there.

😂😅🤣😂😅🤣😂😅🤣😅😂

That always gives me a good laugh

It’s not so empty that it can be so easily dismissed, which is the same thing that’s been done throughout the thread in relation to both multiculturalism and immigration - ask for the positives, when the positives are given, point out that they’re of no significance whatsoever compared to the potential negative consequences of an imagined mass invasion of immigrants who are portrayed as being of a hive mindset.

I'm afraid that is very easily dismissed, because it has pretty much zero reality or evidence in science or human genetics. It can't be a positive if there is zero evidence of its effect and if one takes the position that it has an effect, then it can just as easily argued that it can bring negatives too, like previously rare in a population genetic conditions and illnesses and not just in the native populations. One example is the incidence of rickets and vitamin D defiencies in BAMR populations in the UK.

Sure the American revolution was inspired by the French, but that’s using a different argument to dismiss the idea that we imported much of our cultural cues from the US. I’m not suggesting we didn’t import anything in terms of our culture from England and Rome, we did obviously. The point I was making is that we developed very differently to the rest of Europe because we’re on the periphery of Europe.

Again this is a mix of nonsense, half truths and bias along dubious historical facts. One could have argued that being on the edge of Europe in the case of not being part of the Roman Empire had an effect, but even here there was some cross polinisation and after Rome fell, one of the few places in Europe that kept a spark of that classical world alive was in Ireland and then exported much of it back into what had once been that empire. Never mind the rest of Europe who never fell under that influence. Did Sweden, Norway develop "very differently to the rest of Europe"? Of course not. The Vikings came and then the Normans which brought the country ino their world and wider Western Europe. Then we became part of Britain which was hardly on the periphery of Europe or the world for that matter. For a time it was central to both.

Both multiculturalism and immigration are inevitable and as much as some people may want to, it’s just not possible to control either phenomenon to the degree they would want to, let alone does it do anything to promote their own ideas of what being Irish mean or what ideas they mean by culture.

Of course it's possible and it wasn't inevitable. About the only nations with mass movements of peoples before the post war world and 20th century were European colonies that were built on the mass movement of peoples, or areas of actual physical invasion. That degree of demographic shift across much of Western Europe has never occurred before in European history. Ireland has only had to deal with this politic in the last 20 odd years. Odd that it wasn't "inevitable" beforehand. If Ireland didn't have the give birth for passports loophole in the 90's and early 00's a huge proportion of the non EU migrants here quite simply wouldn't be. When we close that loophole the numbers dropped and when we applied the criterias of asylum seekers the vast majority, nearly 100% of those coming here from most of the nations that came in the 90's and early 00's were refused entry because they were chancers. And we're already seeing the exact same trends every single other "multicultural" nation in Europe has seen before us.

None of that is arguing the case in favour either multiculturalism or immigration because I don’t think there’s any need to.

Now here is the perfect example of the complete non argument in favour of the politic of physical migration multiculturalism. It's the debate equivalent of Nothing to see here, no need to debate it at all, it just is. AKA the "arguments" are slimmer than a Parisien catwalk model and well you know it. That's how empty and wishy washy this philosophy and politic is.

The only reason I didn’t realise you were joking is because it wasn’t obvious, given some of the posts that have been made for serious consideration in this thread already 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It gives you a laugh, but it never seems to garner an answer.

Fair enough, although I wonder why wasn't the gene pool argument the one that caught your attention first - why is it acceptable to be racist, or should I say, genist, against the white Irish or white Europeans? Why are only the white European gene pools in need of improvement? Why is it bad colonialism when we go there, and why is it diversity enrichment when they come here? So many questions, so few honest answers :)

Funny that the same sensible press and the usual suspects will talk about "toxic masculinity" to beat the band without mentioning names when there are high profile rape cases before the courts. And I'd bet the farm that if the accused involved had been named Liam O'Murchu they'd be doing the same.

• Advertisement

Well toxic masculinity possibly might have something to do with rape crimes?

And no, if the accused was Irish you wouldn't see the press discussing the case then either, but you know that and as usual just want to pretend it's something other then what it is.

Advertisement