Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE Radio 1: The Ryan Tubridy Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Looks like Jamie handled it like a pro both times

Even though it was really nothing , I’d say the word misogynistic was killing him all weekend , every paper every headline every click bait 😂😂😂

• I could hear him swallowing a lot this morning, usually a sign of tension.

The tabloids noticed the elephant this morning

“He said it was "great to be back", before discussing an Instagram story he posted on Monday of a dog chasing a seagull.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Advertisement

Someone far more talented than me on matters video editing could have taken this morning's Riffin' section and created a Tubs version of Parklife....a la:

The more I think about this the more I want someone to do it, esp. with the dog and bird imitations this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Even the way he asked her for the second time on Friday .

"Would you consider telling me your age"?

She's told you to fcuk off tubs,

let it go he's such a bad interviewer .Even the questions are just a list on the cue cards and when it goes off topic he's out of his depth.

Delighted Mr woke got a kicking,

He said before that she was his favourite Derry girl.. Bet you that has changed 😆

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

She's squarely on his list of enemies. He had his pencil and little book out on Friday night a la Fr Noel Furlong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

I don’t know why he needed to ask. Her age is on Wikipedia. Presumably correct. I found that out in 20 seconds.

• Advertisement

Maybe he was (in his mind) "settling an old score" because she avoided him asking it once. He really is not up to interviewing anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The question was supposed to be a lead in to the topic of older people playing teenagers, such as The Inbetweeners and other films. It was asked in a clumsy way on his part. (Which shows how poor he is after us financing him for 20 years in the job).

She overreacted.

It's his reaction to her reaction that shows him in his true light, and ironically is borderline misogynistic. Includes much pointing if you look at it again (other thread).

And some hand in her face action to finally shut her up on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

Heres the interview from 2018.

Jamie Lee was very polite to him on the age thing, he knows well it's important to actresses to keep some element of privacy about their age,

at 29 mins in he says to Jennifer Barry, a then 17 year old actress “you're 26,years old! (she's actually 17) you're matilda days are behind you!! " we can all laugh it off but this is damaging to young female actors.

He then at 20:45 goes on to questiom Jamie Lee who politely doesn't want to go there and explains why.

He goes at it AGAIN asking her about the troubles but doesn't know how much she knows cause he doesn't know how old she is, so the excuse that time was not to "complement" her as he pretended he was about to do on the late late show.

He a petulant brat that even though he doesn't need certain info (or all the free stuff) he gets continues to push for it just because he thinks he can. A rotten trait trait in someone and if in any class of power can be quite toxic.

As per above the page from his own show called him out, albeit in tongue in cheek manner, but did all the same back then.

Poor Jamie Lee has got a lot of stick in the media, but she handled herself well and obviously with good reason, she knows his style.

He should have left her explain but he didn't want to, he wanted to come out as the victim.

He's been in this game for alot longer than her, he should have treated her with "kindness" and made the interview work for them both.

It's horrible to see so many people online attack her as sensitive and rude, they clearly didnt actually see it and his bullish reaction to her.

People saying she needs to cop on and get over it, it's not her pushing the story it's all the red top papers and online crap sites. It's shameful.

^^^ I'd agree with almost everything you say, but she's 30 now, and would have been 26 in 2018. That itself makes bugger all difference to the fact that he can't interview anyone in a professional manner, and that other fact that she doesn't deserve any flak about her responses.

Apols I should have been clearee, in the clip, if you have a chance to listen to it, there is two girls being interviewed, the other girl is only 17 not Jamie Lee, apols I should have stated that. I will edit.

Maybe she's like one of us, thinks he's a bit of a knob and had the chance to tell him so, never heard of her before, but I like her 👏

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Can you imagine the swearing coming from Mr kindness dressing room after the show on Friday night, ,🤬😡🤬🤬😡😤😬

She talked back to the toyman how dare she,

The 49 year old Toyman that dates girls the same age as Jamie Lee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Tubs might find some solace when reviewing "The Papers" today, It was telling how he overlooked a number of articles relating to his recent faux pas in numerous publications yesterday, not normally like Tubs to over look any mention of him.

This review of Derry Girls might cheer him up a little , his Interview described as Spicy, perhaps a misspelling 🤔 surely Spiteful or Spiky is the word the reviewer was looking for.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

This is one of the main features on the rte website at the moment. We really have come so far as a country........LLS Alumnus too 🙄

Full section, this is just below the headlines on the homepage - none of which get a picture as big as nor the space Higgins gets. It's "bonkers".

Ed Sheeran pouring a pint in a bar in Sandycove? FFS Drivetime did a whole feature on this yesterday - this news is 48 hours old Bryan, which in today's newscycle makes it a million years old.

"it's just like on the LLS" 🙄

What great musical taste we have in this country - Ed Sheeran, "Gareth Broooooooooookes", Bon Jovi, Bryan Adams etc. all have us on their pension pot tours.

If Ed Sheeran was playing in my siting room I'd leave the house.

Tubs reading a press release for Golden Discs now. Setting himself up for some freebies? Intriguing.

Now reading a Guinness press release.

Stop explaining Bowie

And now playing a clip of Freddie Mercury that someone sent him on what's app.

Lazy article basically removing any chance of someone enjoying the show

• Advertisement

Tubs telling the story now of when Bowie sang a song about Andy Millman (Ricky Gervais) in Extras, completely unaware of course that if Tubs was in that scene he'd be the subject of the song.

Dainty Little Bugger, overpaid tosser,

Deluded and entitled, he's an overpaid twat,

A lifer in RTE, on radio and TV,

He's never worked a day in his life............

3 songs this morning before 9:20....must be a record.

Some amount of shilling too, mentions for Guinness, Kinnegar, Golden Discs, Marvel.......the freebie shelves must be running on empty.

I was hoping he'd give us his thoughts on the burring topic of the day..........Maura Higgins' new hairstyles............🙄

Thankfully I'm out.

Was it as utterly painful as Virgin Media news loosing the plot altogether on the Announcement of Garth Brooks return, they gave a full 30 minute bulletin to the "Breaking News" and then dragged the arse out of it for weeks thereafter 😳

Agreed but I find most Reviews in Irish newspapers, Lazy and Biased, particularly if there's a hint of an Irish connection in the production of a program they are reviewing.

• Advertisement

A lvery intelligent lady on now who wanted to work for LMVH so she decided to learn French, a natural choice.

He goes on to tell her that she is so amazing and that she was like someone from the CIA such was her cleverness for choosing French.

He's is falling over himself to be nice to her, either because he's been accussed of asking mysoginistic... Or he fancies her... We know he's got form there.

Oh god this is so cringe... He knows Nothing about business!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Obligatory Toy Show reference

Another freebie

• Advertisement

The lady works for didgital ecomm for LVMH, basically explaining how her job in tech is based around customer insights... Something that absolutely ever business does, how else would business know how to target their consumers. She's a great speaker but he is acting like she is running nasa...

He didn't know Ireland was a hub for tech in Europe... Jesus christ

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

i think with all his vespa trips , cafe frequenting , private daytime cinema visits, our tubs has taken his eye off the ball to quite an extent , he needs to put a few more hours in

Very true... He knows more about Iceland than he does about Ireland.

He's been to NY, Paris and Lanzarotte so far this year and it's only April. He doesn't live in the world his listeners does.

He mentioned another freebie book yesterday too, I didn’t catch the title but he mentioned he had a preview copy - preview copies are free.

I would have thought Lanzarote would be slumming it for Little Lord Tubsleroy, no?

I would have thought so too.... But he's a regular there in spring.

I guess when he has to pay for it he goes for the cheapest option! He's more an Ashford Castle man when in his native land where he gets hotel rooms, meals and activities for free.

Re. your last line, it really is astonishing the bubble he lives in. I mean even just listening to the news on occasion would alert you to this fact. Now he's probably off thinking Google Execs moved from Silicon Valley to Dublin just so their kids could watch the Toy Show.

He must not even listen to news or current affairs...

There was Much coverage on air earlier on in the year about data centres in ireland and how expansion of that industry could damage our carbon footprint... It was massive news.

You'd actually have to go out of your way to avoid these news stories!

The only papers he reads are tabloids, and just the bits his researchers highlight for him. He backs these publications and they back him. Hardly a day goes by that they don't print a story on him and its always positive. How is there never one piece about in the papers other than curated snippets from "tubridy says" on radio

we know he has absolutely no regard for the environment.. He completely dismissed Mary Robinson on the LLS recently when she was calling for urgency around the issue, he belittled Gretta Thunberg and said she should go home and watch a movie.. Hes taken 3 International flights already this year, plus a helicopter ride to Mayo to "support" Charlie Bird. He drives a gas guzzling Jaguar, he swapped a hybrid Volo C90 (he wanted to try green for all of 5 mind) for it.. So he can't even say its a legacy issue!

There's zero depth to this man.

• Advertisement
Advertisement