Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Ya that's what I meant. I have it in my head that Andy said August.

Tietie hasn't been confirmed has he?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Papa, Tietie, Butler (IQ), O'Donnell (off likely)

Only Hurley coming as NIQ, I'm 100% confident we have a marquee 2nd Row signing for Dillane in the making

+ maybe a moneyball n°8 (who can tackle this time) if Masterson(s) is/are leaving

Friend only said maybe one more signing though. Would love a few more too however

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

And jackman hinted that signing would be a tight head

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Strand1970

I would be very surprised, he is doing well at Canterbury with hopes of playing some day for the all blacks. I read a while ago he is also engaged to a local.

No idea jut said they were in the market for a tight head apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's been a few posts - by recognised absolute nutjobs - in this thread regarding Sexton and Hansen, all agreeing with each other that somehow Sexton is threatened by Hansen. They were the same that two weeks ago were saying Sexton was threatened by Carty. How'd that turn out?

Did Sexton kick your puppy? Was he mean to you?

Or are you just completely incapable of acknowledging the contribution the man has made to Irish Rugby over the last 15 odd years? Instagram, picking fights in the tunnel? Grow the **** up lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

No doubt there’s some wild stuff in this thread frequently (a lot of which doesn’t even come from Connacht fans) but there wasn’t anything bad said about Sexton.

Instagram is what Sexton mentioned to Hansen per the Leinster fans forum & the suggestion after by posters was that they were very different personalities. I’d say that was an over analysis and it was probably just your run of the mill game confrontation but who knows.

I don’t care about the incident to be honest but your post seems like a massive overreaction.

On a broader note, this thread has gone downhill in a big way over the last year or so from my view. Used to be a enjoyable read, now it’s a skim through and try to find the odd good post.

A big part of that I think is other provincial fans piling in at any ‘bad’ suggestion and to be honest it is usually Leinster supporters. The most recent example being that one infrequent poster suggested a draft or something for young players as Leinster have too much talent (according to the poster).

I don’t agree with the theory but fifteen Leinster supporters piling in, days later in some cases, to repeat the same valid points does not make for an interesting thread.

Then there is the outright trolling that is just ignored/tolerated. I don’t really read much of boards bar this and the Galway GAA thread so maybe it’s reflective of a wider issue.

• Advertisement

article stats Toh is the only player who travelled that isn’t signed up for next season and that He is expected to sign on soon.

Means Mcgrath, leva and Johnny Murphy will be around next year

TOH should really be released. He offers nothing to the team these days. 8 can't imagine anyone else is offering him a contract.

If he must stay, he should be on Ben O'Donnell/Oran MacNulty salary levels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Have to agree that this thread has gone severely downhill. Such a shame as this is really the only place for Connacht fans to discuss our team, since the Connacht Clan forum died a death.

Kind of surprised McGrath has gotten an extension, hasn't really had much of a chance to impress with limited minutes and switching between both sides of the scrum. Must be doing something right. I can see at least two props departing if we are bringing in a tighthead, most likely Tuinauga and DRM.

Glad Fifita is staying, started slowly but has been excellent once he settled in.

Murphy must be a great trainer or mentor, we've given him multiple contracts but seem to generally avoid playing him if we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In fairness the rugby forum has gone that way. There are a handful of posters that post disingenuous nonsense and it drags the whole place down.

Based on the above article:

Definitely out of contract

Dominic Robertson McCoy (Tighthead)

Peter Robb (Centre)

Matt Healy (Back 3)

Tiernan O'Halloran (Back 3)

Likely out of contract

Tietie Tuimauga (Tighthead)

Ben O'Donnell (Back 3)

Possibly out of contract

Shane Delahunt (Hooker)

Eoghan Masterson (Back row)

Sean Masterson (Back row)

Colm Reilly (Scrum half)

Peter Sullivan (Back 3)

Post edited by realhorrorshow on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Friend said in the Press conference that Burke missed out after getting injured last week.

He also name checked Sean Masterson and Reilly as two players they would also have liked to have brought for the experience so quite likely they will be around next season

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

Burke renewed his contract for a further two years in March.

If you're right, and they're keeping McGrath but releasing Tuimauga, that makes no sense. Both can play either side of the scrum but Tietie has unquestionably been more effective. Staying on the front row, Sam Illo was give a full professional contract out of school/U20s, why do that and then not play him? Do Connacht have the money to throw around like that? No.

It now appears clear that there is not going to be a replacement for Dillane, unless we designate Josh Murphy to that position (and in fairness he's been playing well for Leinster in that role in recent weeks). Is this the extent of the IRFU's largesse, Roux and Dillane replaced by Fifita and Murphy? I'd like to see how the pay packets compare before accepting that those are like for like.

Anyway, we can count ourselves lucky that these Leinster (like the Munster crew that arrived in 2020) players want to come west and see it as an opportunity to make the most of their careers, because Mack aside, the recruitment from overseas has underwhelmed.

• Advertisement

I guess it could be due to Tuimauga being NIQ. He also seems to have an offer from France which he can leverage in contract negotiations, which probably makes him the more expensive option.

Have thought similar about Illo as I was hoping to see more of him this season. Perhaps he has a good agent/wasn't overly keen so we had to offer the senior deal to tempt him despite not intending to use him as a senior squad member. If that was the case I think it's fair to question that use of resources, as you have. It's also possible that we expected him to contribute but he hasn't been at the level we anticipated. I do think it's important to bear in mind that it would be unusual for a tighthead to see substantial minutes his first season out of the 20s, and a better contract isn't really going to tangibly alter a player's natural development.

Only thing I'd say on the second rows is that while Roux was probably a better player than Fifita, he barely played. I think there's a case to be made that Fifita is a better squad member, if not a better second row. Roux managed five appearances in his last season, Fifita has made 11 so far despite not being first choice at the beginning of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Delahunt should be signed, imo. He's going to be a big loss if not. Illo is a strange situation. He could be a good player and have a positive contribution. Perhaps, he's just feeling his way and will be used more next season.

Eoghan Masterson leaving would be a shame. I hope he gets a contract elsewhere. I really thought he could have pushed on into the national squad but for that injury.

TOH is slowing down and is not the player he was a few years ago. I would assume an extension will only be for a year.

Josh Murphy has shown he's a good player. Connacht are getting a physical abrasive player, in him. He can spell Prendergast and fill in the 2nd row and you lose little. Hawkshaw will also benifit from this move. He's got a lot of potential and I can see him filling a variety of positions. Adam Byrne unfortunately has been hindered by injury after injury and I think he's going to struggle to make the 23. I'd have kept Sullivan.

It will be interesting to see the academy intake this year. I assume Devine is certainly making the cut but, who else will Connacht sign? There could be a couple from this year's u20's available.

That's true about Quinn's last couple of seasons, he played a ton of games from his arrival in 2014 until 2019. But yeah, his departure didn't leave that huge a hole in terms of minutes, and the development at second row has also been good (Murray, Dowling).

What concerns me though is the loss of leadership, something that Quinn was taking on and where we are now deficient IMHO. Maybe Dooley and Murphy will add some direction, Jarrad is an articulate and likeable guy, but I'm not persuaded that he can lead that pack, maybe lacks the inspirational quality. Thornbury could be a possibility once he reintegrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Some interesting stats on sports injuries. TOH availability this season down to final year of contract? Will he play as many minutes if he signs for 2 years?

The problem with TOH has not been availability - he's played fifteen matches and over a thousand minutes this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

Yes but he started 3 games last season, 4 the season before that. Started 15 this season when his contract is up for renewal

If he signs a 2 year deal you probably will not see him available next season as much. 1 year deal will keep him honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

It's hard to see a player at the end of his career, who has served his province for so many years, fall away in terms of form. We all appreciate that it's just not easy as a fan to support or as a player to accept. But it is what it is

Tietie to Colomiers confirmed unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

2 year deal with the option of a 3rd. No way he was going to get such a deal with Connacht

• Advertisement

Pity. Given the role he's played this season and the personnel available to us, I doubt that letting him go will prove to be a good decision.

Advertisement