Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Teachers threaten to strike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭History Queen

Again more ignorance displayed. Unable is not necessarily the teacher's fault, or anyone's for that matter. It can be because of SEN, societal issues, cultural factors etc. The same could be argued for unwilling.

The fact that you think reading for pleasure is a problem solved by digital devices or giving students books is laughable. Yes, some students will benefit but the benefits are hugely limited. It's not just the material lack of books it's the lack of a culture in which the value of reading and learning is fostered.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

Groundsworker, blocklayer, plumber, plasterer, electrician and many many suppliers all looking for cash only payments when building - all giving a discount for cash only - i wonder why? teachers pay tax on their salaries I believe? - how about instead of working for the department of Ed we babysit lets say my class of 28 for 6 hours a day at say €10 per child per hour and il throw in teaching your child to read and write maths and sese and to think and work independently to be polite and have good manners, and il do that and listen and placate parents just like you who love nothing more than to come in and have a go at the teacher because of something that happened you in a classroom a generation ago.

Google the organisation of schooltime in Europe explain how itish primary school teachers have the longest holidays in Europe?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

2019 EU study, average pay for post primary teacher in Ireland was €61k, that was the fifth highest in Europe.

Just watching this Gillespie fella on Ireland AM, the number one aim is pay equality where teachers employed after 2011 are paid less than those before. Are all new employees paid the same in the private sector? Employees often move jobs to negotiate better remuneration, perhaps those teachers unhappy with pay should move jobs and get out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Treppen

Well it's constantly a case of public sector versus private sector on here. So yes, I agree Teaching is unique... So maybe the ones who are best placed to tell you what it entails are ....teachers.

But I'm sure it won't stop the rabble telling us what our job is. Because they knew a teacher, or possibly went to school a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Well then report them if that's what you know. What's that got to do with anything.

I know a guy who robbed my car tyres before and he was unemployed, does that mean all unemployed people Rob car tyres? I rang the gardaí btw.

TBF Treppen, teaching is not a clandestine profession. Most of us spent a considerable proportion of time exposed to teachers in their workplace and I suspect everyone of us either have a family member or know someone well who is a teacher. So please, don’t be telling us that no one but a teacher knows what being a teacher entails. Teachers are unique in their belief that they are being persecuted when people disagree with them.

So what's your point.

Would you be happy if teachers worked longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

None of my business if they evade tax or not, my point being that the low working hours involved with teaching allow real opportunity to earn additional income, and most avail of that opportunity.

Those working min. 40 hour weeks with 21 days a/l don't have the same opportunity.

• Advertisement

Just because you went to school doesn't mean you know the work that a teacher undertakes. It's like saying I went to the dentist a few times so I know what's involved, just stick an injection in, pull a few teeth with a pliers, put some cement in a tooth, use the hose suction thing and charge €100.

Same as "knowing someone who is a teacher".

And yes teachers are unique in this belief because everybody has experience of being in their presence for 15 odd years. But you still haven't been on the other side of the desk.

... The other one I get too from parents and naysayers is "I'm involved in education myself", which inevitably turns out to be a soccer coach or an administrator in a College.

People just need to get over the fact that younger teachers deserve better pay. The same teacher bashers on here are quick to say (in ignorance) that the older teachers screwed them over, but when the demands are made to increase younger teachers pay then it's a case of ... Something something holidays, bad teachers, I know a teacher, grinds, don't pay tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

And graduates in the private sector just waltz into permanent positions do they?

Why don't you get on to your Union to campaign for lower working hours and greater a/l then?

It seems you'll only be happy when some other well know profession (that everyone is an expert on) has less favourable working conditions than they did last year.

My point is we don't have longer holidays the average days worked in europe is between 170 and 190 we are now 182.

The holidays are so the kids don't murder each other, the parents and the school secretary don't kill the teachers and the teacher doesn't kill what used to be that one child but is now more like 5 or 6 in every class.

By kill I don't mean kill, also by murder I don't mean murder least I have the gardai at my door in an hour

Who cares? Let the graduates negotiate their own salary and !at the teachers look for a pay increase if they want to.

It's a very strange situation that people get so worked up about someone else looking for a pay rise in their job.

I understand your point.

But by me saying I understand it , doesn't mean I understand it.

What's the average annual pay for a garda in Ireland?

How about a doctor politician tradesman bus driver taxi driver pharmaceutical worker, any graduate with a good degree? Any public sector employee?

How much are our social welfare payments in comparison to Europe?

How much is a hotel in ireland? In comparison to Latvia Wales or even Germany?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It is important to take the holidays into account when comparing with another profession in Ireland. Earlier in the thread there was a comparison with accountants. Lets say a primary teacher works 183 days here (167 days for secondary). The accountant will be working 232 days if they get 20 holidays (it might be up to 25). That would be 65 days extra compared to a secondary teacher, so a full 13 weeks, or 3 months. If you scaled the top of the salary range (70k) up to 232 days worked you would end up with 97k, so that is the figure you need to be comparing with. I think when you look at it like that, it actually isn't bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭onrail

Not every profession is unionised. Mine isn't unfortunately.

Unsure what your second point is. Many (myself included) are in the same boat as teachers regarding pay not matching inflation.

TBF, most people know what Dentists do, so I have no issue with someone speculating about it. There is always an information imbalance regarding jobs, but it is insular to think that people do not have a fair idea about what it entails, particularly if they have the benefit of being exposed to it for 6 yrs.

• Advertisement

It's also important to take what's involved in the job into account.

A classroom of 25 -34 kids for 6 hours is 6 intense hours - try it for a week and see if your suited to it. You cant just pick the hours and holidays and compare the job otherwise accountants would br paid the same as factory floor workers with the same hours and holidays, why aren't they??

Teaching is not rocket science but few people are suited to it in terms of temperament, its a different job to an accountant.

I would agree with you I enjoy my job I look at friends in the private sector on 90k plus at age 40 and I wouldn't swap my job for theirs, but I chose the profession I'm in and knew what was involved in both the job and the benefits. Would I like more pay , yes would I like my union to fight for more pay for me, yes. The court of public opinion about teachers was never as bad and its reflected in attitudes of parents we all deal with nowadays there has been a huge shift - and not a good one for teachers or pupils.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

Primary teachers get a lot of holidays. I think it adds up to about 72 days along with weekends and public/bank holidays.

The pay is also good, especially after about 20 years on the scale.

Many other jobs get less holidays.

Many other jobs pay less as well.

Primary teaching is a very accessible career these days. Anyone can study for it after their leaving cert or do a post-grad after doing a degree in something else.

If someone thinks it’s a great job and that the pay and holidays are amazing, a postgrad could see them working as a teacher within 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

You will find many people only look at the positive aspects of another job. So, you will have some say that teachers only work from 9-2:30 with nothing after school for example. But those in the public sector, including teachers, are as guilty of making the same kinds of comparisons with the private sector. Most professions in the private sector are paid salary, with quite a bit of unpaid overtime. As a software developer, I have not worked less than 50 hrs per week for the last 15 years or so. But, there is a large discretionary performance based part of my pay.

The holidays for teachers are a part of the package. Personally I would prefer to work longer and get paid more but I am sure teachers knew the situation with holidays. They have a benefit in terms of the amount of childcare required etc, so are certainly worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

No its not - its there gun to the head approach looking for unreasonable pay increases on top of their incremental system that does increase their wage every year. They knew this when they signed the contract so they can stay and do the job they signed up for or leave no one is forcing them to do the job. They have the same options as every other person in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Ah, so we should give everyone 3 months' holiday during the summer months? Would you and your fellow Union members be happy when your local hospital and Garda station are closed for 3 months of the year, regardless of need?

Simply put you cannot stand over that little nugget, that Irish teachers get the longest holidays in Europe.

We hear endlessly about how we should be like the Finns, yet when it comes to Holidays and pay and the like, we should firmly be like Ireland.

Always taking, no give.

Welcome to the world of work as I stated every one is running the same race and jumping the same hurdles when it comes to affordability its not just an obstacle for the public sector or for teachers. In fact the security of your job gives you an advantage over those in the private sector when it comes to looking for a loan as you only have to look at the incremental system 99.99999% get an increment no matter how good, bad or ugly the public servant is.

No its simple math and any teacher should know that. Any increase will mean more taxes meaning the tax payer bent over for more money..So no thanks the incremental system is in place if any teacher feels unfairly treated feel free to leave and find a new employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This perk is quite frankly insane. The idea that as soon as one gets a perm contract you can swan off to the middle east, work for 5 years tax-free, and then have your job waiting for you when you get back is insane. Teachers are complaining about shortages of teachers, yet will at the same time stand over this perk. Cannot square that circle.

If teachers want to swan off to other countries, more power to them, but they have to give up their placement, its that simple. It doesn't happen in other sectors or in the private sector.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,407 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Advertisement