Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK will finally off shore illegal asylum seekers crossing the channel

Options

Comments

And yet, they were taken to task by the UNHRC and the UK's own ambassador for Human Rights for their inaction to prevent human rights abuses. When, you might ask? Less than a year before they decided to ship all the undesirables over there.

Funny that.

So, there's no practical reason not to return a person to their POI... ?

Oh, and people do land without documentation. That documentation is lost or destroyed enroute. I've seen a variety of Asylum reports over the years, and this one pops up every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭sonar44

It's just a discussion. Something more important is bound to come along.

When we have established mutually acceptable terms of the debate, we can proceed in good faith.

Sure - if we agree we are looking at the substantive goal of the UK program - to stop the trafficking of asylum seekers across the English Channel - we can refer to the success of the Australian initiative:

Below shows the numbers arriving in Australia. From 2001- 2007 they instituted the “Pacific Solution” of processing illegal migrants offshore. The numbers exploded when this policy was ended but crashed for a second time when it was restarted in 2013 under “Operation Sovereign Borders”.

https://thecritic.co.uk/stop-english-channel-boats-migrant/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Sonar, that wasn't your claim. Your claims were:

So, can I have your sources for the claims that:

1. A scheme that has so far cost Australia $9 billion has "saved untold millions of dollars"
    2. Australia didn't process the claims of the deported asylum seekers
    3. The scheme solves the problem of deporting unsuccessful applicants
    4. The claims of the deported asylum seekers were "dodgy" (how can you possibly think you know this, if you also think the claims have not been processed?)
    5. The people traffickers have been put out of business.

I've already pointed out that none of these claims are true. I think you now have the choice of (a) withdrawing the claims; (b) quoting your sources (in which event I will quote mine); or (c) maintaining your claims but refusing to back them up with sources (in which event I think we can all draw our own conclusions about the credibility of your claims).

All of my claims are sustained by the massive reduction in trafficking, which was exploding, which is the point of this program. I refer you to the graph I posted in my previous comment.

None of your claims are sustained by the massive reduction in boat arrivals, except arguably your fifth claim - and then only if you make the very silly assumption that if people aren't being trafficked to Australia then they aren't being trafficked anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭uptherebels

What does that have to do with any of the questions posed?

If you are going to try and dodge questions you don't like, it's better to pretend you don't see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

The migrants to the UK are invariably not "illegal". Most apparently get rid of identifying documentation in order to make an asylum claim.

Migrants are no more illegal than a driver parking on double yellow's is illegal. The term was conjured up to excite the hard of thinking.

The UK's problems are many, you are right there. One of the main one's being xenophobia which was used as a lever to allow racism to top the agenda for the

It seems for the most part we are in agreement then, except that to call someone "illegal" is quite simply disgusting. A person cannot be an "illegal", a criminal maybe, but what would an "illegal" person be?

Illegal is the term used for things like drugs or flick knives, frankly I find it offensive to have the term applied to members of my own species.

Xenophobia was used as a tool by UKIP and then the Tories to get Brexit through. Maybe you don't visit the UK too often, but I was born there and worked there up to the point where Brexit convinced me that a future in the EU was a better plan.

The Tories have been into the blame game for a long time. The lack of housing was "foreigners", the swathes of poorly paid jobs were "foreigners" undercutting Brits, even the NHS was crippled by all these young fit asylum seekers enjoying all kinds of treatment at the taxpayers expense.

The trouble is that the lesser able were easy to convince, but what disgusted me and took me onto the ferry for the last trip out from Holyhead was that the racism that was used to fuel Brexit has gone out of control. God knows what the poor dears are going to do when they start importing even darker foreigners than those from the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

What caused the massive reduction in boat arrivals, if not the promise that those arriving would never be allowed to settle on the Australian mainland, regardless of the outcome of their claim?

Given that the outcome of a successful claim - life in a camp in Nauru - is not pleasant, but certainly preferable to death and torture, what are we to deduce from that massive reduction?

The migrants to the UK are invariably not "illegal".

The migrants? So, we're back to blurring the lines, so that you can use legitimate/formal migration to support your perspective on illegal immigration?

Most apparently get rid of identifying documentation in order to make an asylum claim.

Which, in my mind, proves that they shouldn't be eligible for Asylum. That just screams bogus to me.

Migrants are no more illegal than a driver parking on double yellow's is illegal. The term was conjured up to excite the hard of thinking.

The term illegal migrant was coined a very long time ago, before the present troubles with immigration, and integration of a foreign population.

Dunno what point you're trying to make, TBH. That all migrants should be treated the same as those who do their paperwork, going through the proper channels, and have the basic requirements listed for immigration to the UK?

The UK's problems are many, you are right there. One of the main one's being xenophobia which was used as a lever to allow racism to top the agenda for the

Racism has never gone away, it exists at all levels of society, and shows itself among all ethnic groups. Racism has been an issue in the UK for decades. Completely agree there. However, I'd also say the ignoring of social issues relating to immigration, and the lack of integration/assimilation are both other problems. There was a rather long period of wishful thinking (present in most western nations) that foreign populations would integrate all by themselves, if given enough support. That hasn't happened. If anything, tribalism and enclaves have been the result, which lead to a greater degree of racism manifesting.

It seems for the most part we are in agreement then, except that to call someone "illegal" is quite simply disgusting. A person cannot be an "illegal", a criminal maybe, but what would an "illegal" person be?

Nope... because you've decided to translate migrant into "person" as if they're used the same manner. We have different words for a reason. Illegal migrant is not the same as illegal person.. and I'm still wondering where you plucked the term illegal person from... Did another poster use it? Or did you bring it up all by yourself?

Illegal is the term used for things like drugs or flick knives, frankly I find it offensive to have the term applied to members of my own species.

Illegal... against the law. Immigration without permission of the State is against the law. Hence, Illegal migrant. Do you have a similar abhorrence of the term legal migrant, or does the positive nature of that status give it a pass?

You're finding it offensive, because you're looking for a reason to be offended. Simple as.

Xenophobia was used as a tool by UKIP and then the Tories to get Brexit through. Maybe you don't visit the UK too often, but I was born there and worked there up to the point where Brexit convinced me that a future in the EU was a better plan.

Sure it was. No objection there. However, there were real concerns about immigration, the lack of integration, issues with social spending on minority groups, concerns over crime/violence by foreign groups, etc. That wasn't just about xenophobia. Many of the issues that led to Brexit getting supported, had a foundation in real issues, and the concerns normal people had about the state of the country. Not racists. Not xenophobes. Normal people worried about what their country was being turned into.

There is this attitude online these days, that whenever any criticism is levelled towards migrants, foreigners, or whatever, then it must be collectively considered as racist or xenophobic. It's an attempt to dismiss the problems because it interferes with the desire for more immigration, and a more diverse population.

Don't get me wrong. I think brexit was utterly idiotic and the wrong way to approach these problems... but I can appreciate the desire to finally approach issues that had been ignored/dismissed for decades. (Oh, and I do get to England fairly often, the other parts not so much)

The Tories have been into the blame game for a long time. The lack of housing was "foreigners", the swathes of poorly paid jobs were "foreigners" undercutting Brits, even the NHS was crippled by all these young fit asylum seekers enjoying all kinds of treatment at the taxpayers expense.

Haha.. I'm sorry but I have to laugh. Everyone is in the blame game... Just as you're doing it now.

The trouble is that the lesser able were easy to convince, but what disgusted me and took me onto the ferry for the last trip out from Holyhead was that the racism that was used to fuel Brexit has gone out of control. God knows what the poor dears are going to do when they start importing even darker foreigners than those from the EU.

Maybe... but most of the UK's "darker" population didn't come from the EU. They came from former British colonies, or general immigration practices.

The UK has never had any problems getting migrant workers.. that's not going to change now. Whether they come from Eastern Europe, Asia, Africa or whatever. And the issues that caused Brexit will continue to affect all migrant groups regardless of their skin colour, because it is culture that tends to matter here. Indians tend to do very well in the UK, whereas Pakistani's don't do as well. They're both dark, but their cultural backgrounds are different.

You want to make this about race. It's not. It's about the manner of contributions that migrant groups have to a nation. If 42% of a cultural group are unemployed or in prison, and the remainder working, does that mean we can't or shouldn't ask why? Shouldn't we be wondering how we can get more of the 58% that lead productive and law-abiding lives? But... we can't... because that would be considered racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Personally I would have no problem with asylum seekers getting rid of their paperwork. The UK has sent some asylum seekers back to some horrific regimes. Having a mailing address to be deported to is making it easy to be fast tracked home. Note the appeals and bear in mind that not all go through the appeals system.

The migrants crossing the channel in inflatables is all about race. Europeans take a plane or ferry. The welcome Ukrainians get is vastly different to Syrians is it not?

I know full well about the Commonwealth migrants. In my city in the UK a very considerable number of voters voted for Brexit because of the numbers of Pakistani's and Poles. The educational standards of Stoke were never that great though.

Anyway I worked with all nationalities. UK citizens and people from all over the world, I cannot see the difference. Unless people want to insist on taking their tribal baggage out to emphasise their difference or superiority, I see all people as equals.

Rwanda is not a serious approach incidentally, it's a Bozo distraction, like his bridge to Northrn Ireland and roundabout under the Isle of Mann.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Happy to engage but abusers won't be entertained. I'm not on trial and I'm not looking for tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,241 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

To the country the flight they came in from originated from and that country can then organise final destination if different. Ideally the airlines should take a scan of all passengers passports, they can then deport anyone committing fraud back to these countries.

Personally I would have no problem with asylum seekers getting rid of their paperwork.

Expand on that, please. Why?

Surely, you can appreciate that a person without paperwork could easily be there to game the system, or even worse, be an actual criminal? Immigrants without paperwork tie up the system because the documentation needs to be hunted down from foreign systems that are often, not particularly helpful. It's one of the reasons that both the initial claims and the appeals tend to take so long to process... the lack of documentation and the unwillingness of claimants to help provide it. As such, by tying up resources, they're preventing others with the proper documentation to receive the proper treatment.

Surely, that makes sense to you? no?

The UK has sent some asylum seekers back to some horrific regimes. Having a mailing address to be deported to is making it easy to be fast tracked home. Note the appeals and bear in mind that not all go through the appeals system.

I assume you have examples of these people sent back to horrible regimes, and why they should have received Asylum?

Note the appeals... which means what? As for not all going through the appeals system, that's natural enough, when they know they have no chance of succeeding in such an appeal. Unless you want to make another point?

The migrants crossing the channel in inflatables is all about race. Europeans take a plane or ferry. The welcome Ukrainians get is vastly different to Syrians is it not?

Many Asylum seekers arrive in the UK by plane, or even through the Channel tunnel. But sure... I'd love to see the evidence that says the vast majority of Asylum seekers arrive in the UK in inflatables.

Ukraine is an European war. You do realise that many Ukrainians are of Tartar blood, and so, aren't white? There's been a quite a bit of mixing with Central Asian and Middle Eastern ethnicities over the centuries. Anyway, it's about culture. Not race. Similar cultural groups receive greater support. You see the same bear out in help provided by any national groupings. If anything, Western nations are an oddity in the amount of support provided to non-western nationalities.

Oh, and I do realise you're skipping over or sidestepping a lot of the points I raised, while introducing new ones...

I know full well about the Commonwealth migrants. In my city in the UK a very considerable number of voters voted for Brexit because of the numbers of Pakistani's and Poles. The educational standards of Stoke were never that great though.

Irrelevant.. considering the points raised to your earlier statement.

Anyway I worked with all nationalities. UK citizens and people from all over the world, I cannot see the difference. Unless people want to insist on taking their tribal baggage out to emphasise their difference or superiority, I see all people as equals.

And? that's relevant to what point?

Rwanda is not a serious approach incidentally, it's a Bozo distraction, like his bridge to Northrn Ireland and roundabout under the Isle of Mann.

I stated earlier that I think it's a promotional ploy to encourage the discussion on immigration to take place. I really don't think it's going to be implemented beyond the initial trial, which relates to all those single males who appeared while fleeing a war. It would be taken apart once they tried to send women and children there.

Oh, I do find it interesting the way you exchange the terminology used. Migrant, Asylum seeker. Different systems, different scenarios, but used interchangeably.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

It doesn’t work like that unfortunately, they land and immediately claim asylum, they are then in a process that is slow and allows multiple appeals. It’s not the same as me turning up and getting refused entry with a visa because they believe that I’m going to work there illegally, in that case I’m on the next flight out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You know the answer very well now and you can keep twisting and turning it any to your hearts content. Enjoy your delusion.

What did I twist? I asked a question, you answered, and I used your words (and the information you provided).. no twisting/turning involved, not even slightly.

It's delusional that people destroy or lose their documentation while enroute to their destination?

Your objection is very odd, considering what was written. Ok. Grand. You don't want to discuss it further. I can see that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

How about people who don’t destroy their IDs, and grown men who pretend to be children. No doubt they all count as genuine applicants. The process needs to be tightened up, people in the uk are fed up of this.

That people are being trafficked to somewhere else, obviously.

When the UK launches a scheme that applies to people who destroy their ID and grown men claiming to be children, we can consider its merits. Here in the real world, that is not the scheme you are expressing support for.

Sonar's claim wasn't that the Australian policy had eliminated trafficking to Australia; it was that it had eliminated trafficking, full stop.

And, if your objection to trafficking is the human misery it causes, a policy which simply diverts trafficking away does nothing to reduce human misery. So, if someone is going to welcome this policy, it needs to be for reasons other than a desire to reduce death and suffering. They should have some respect for yourselves and be honest about what those reasons are.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

"I realise people want to shout that it's racism, and it is racist.. but who really cares anymore?"

"We're all a little jaded over being called racist for everything under the sun, that the term doesn't have much umpf anymore."

When someone tells you what they are, believe them.

Your words. The context is the thread.

Subtly? Nuance? Cheap words used to claim intellectual superiority and distract.

Any reader of your output could just as easily claim poor communication skills if you do not want to appear as a racist in the discussion.

There is nothing subtle or nuanced about the ridiculous suggestion that an accusation of racism has somehow been diminished by your martyrdom on the font of woke. The use of "we're all" is transparent and juvenile. Speak for yourself lad. Don't be afraid.

Nobody has accused me of racism recently but world-weary you has clearly been on the receiving end, if not in real life, but as a result of events in the world and your willingness to offer an opinion on the interweb. I wonder why?

I don't feel the same sense of pressure which has left you jaded. You seem mightily afflicted by it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Again what does any of that have to do with you dodging questions? Seeing as you are "happy to engage"and all.

Subtly? Nuance? Cheap words used to claim intellectual superiority and distract.

The natural product of any human communication.. you just want to ignore them, so you can push your own position. Holding others to standards that you're not prepared to meet yourself. You've repeatedly sought to misinterpret what was stated and fit them into a place where you can justify your intolerance of others opinions... an intolerance that doesn't involve engaging with what was stated, but instead, just attack others.

Any reader of your output could just as easily claim poor communication skills if you do not want to appear as a racist in the discussion.

Any reader could claim whatever they like, it wouldn't make it accurate or true. I opposed your viewpoint, so I'm a racist. It doesn't actually matter what I wrote, because you would inevitably "fit" it to justify your position.

I don't feel the same sense of pressure which has left you jaded. You seem mightily afflicted by it all.

And yet, you're projecting. I didn't suggest any such thing, and yet, you've felt the need to pass it off on to me.

It's worth noting that again, you've failed to address any of the points in my original post. You're attempting to draw the conversation away from it, into the grey areas of interpretation, and personal remarks.

I'll leave it here, as you obviously have no intention of returning to discussing the topic and just want to make personal attacks.

• Advertisement

It's patently clear what he meant, you're just deliberately and transparently misinterpreting his language.

Australia can only control their own border, not the borders of other countries.

The only policy that can be implemented at a national level that doesn't divert trafficking is, effectively, an open border.

By objecting to the Australian policy, that's what you are supporting, de facto.

You ask for honesty from others, but aren't don't provide it yourself.

Advertisement