Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On stress illness, but ready to return to work

Options
  • 19-04-2022 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks, need some advice. Male early 60's here. About a year ago I crashed and burned at work. The previous 4 years were horrendous and in the end the stress got to me and under my doctor's advice I went on sick leave.

After exploring the WRC route, I decided as I didn't have a union and being in the private sector that I would try and come to an arrangement with my employer and in December last year we came to an agreement and left on good terms.

Anyway, after a lot of counselling and with great support from family and friends, I am thinking of returning to work (the head is finally clear). Under advice from Social Welfare, I am still on illness benefit, I have a few interviews for Clerical Officer coming up and was wondering what I should say and should I go on Unemployment Benefit instead.

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Sorry you've been through this OP, I'M guessing your illness benefit entitlement is coming to an end soon 🤔 , obviously returning to work if at all possible would be ideal but I'd certainly speak to your GP and be sure your ready, particularly going back to full time employment. Some people look at part time roles as a stepping stone .

It's great you have an interview and wish you well in that, but you'll also have to consider an income if and when your illness benefit entitlement expires and if it takes a while to obtain employment. So having assessed your situation with your GP I would consider one of two options.

If fully ready to return to work, apply for JSA anyway, whilst looking for a new Job it is means tested but at least you'll get a basic income and insure continunity re contributions.

Or if there's any doubts , reservations perhaps consider Disability Allowance, it's very difficult to get approved for and again means tested and requires medical reports, letter from GP etc, but if you succeeded (and it can take months) it would give you some income long term and also permit you work a certain amount of hours per week. In this scenario and if IB runs out you may need to apply for SWA initially whilst a decision is made on a DA.

Always difficult to advise in situations like yours and as I say if your up to returning to full time work that's great, just keep your options open .

Best wishes on your journey.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bruno Smith

Thank you so much for the detailed response, I have about a year's illness benefit left so it's probably best to keep that going. Do you think I should be honest at interviews or will I say I have taken a career break and am looking for a new challenge.

No problem, apologies I got an impression your illness benefit was running out , hence my advice on next move SW wise , so obviously stay as is until such time your GP says otherwise etc. 😏

It's a really difficult question to answer about what you say to a prospective new employer. You've obviously left on excellent terms with your last employer and I'd lean towards your own thoughts and yes , you took a career break. A gap of a year in any employment is difficult to explain and your former employer if contacted for a reference will absolutely not discuss the reasons for your departure, instead focus on length of service, your position, etc. So I'd agree with your idea on this approach personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide OP, sounds like you have had a poor roll of the dice but I'm glad you are on the road to recovery.

FWIW, I interviewed a chap last week who had taken a couple of years out of work to care for a dying family member, as an interviewer, I would never question something like that, nor hold it against them in any way when considering them for a position. You don't have to explain yourself to a prospective employer but a reason like the above, or similar, would be accepted without question in any company I've worked for.

Mostly though, I'm just posting to say best of luck to you. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Bruno Smith

Thank you, it's been a tough journey, I was 23 years in the one job and the workplace in the last 4 years have been particularly toxic, I should have left then and it so not worth staying if you are unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭MikeOis

Hi,

I'm in a very similar situation, over 50's, private sector with a family! Work (16+yrs) is toxic with one particular person for last 4-5 years ! 4 of 6 people have moved onto other roles or left, all within 9 months! (All with over 14 yrs experience each, wiped a whole department)! I moved job inside, thinking that this would resolve the stress! literally I hit a Mental BRICK wall on day 2 of the new job, (the job is not something I'm interested in, just took it to move away, in different department). For anyone in a similar position, Please,Please go and see your 'Doctor'!!! It is a scary place in my head, I've never encountered that before. (I'm always the strong one in difficult situations with people)

I'm hope to getting legal advice about case, i can't the it anymore!

Bruno Smith, do you mind me asking how long did it take for you from going out sick to resolving it with the company or just PM me,(no worries if you it dosen't suit! thks)

Advertisement