Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

After the conversation here, what a treat in todays Picard!!!!

Baltar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

I think you mean Filmation. If Funimation was involved it would have been called Space Hike and be set in America

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

A short behind-the-scenes on that TNG: Animated Series clip -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcRzkRTlUY4

He also reminds us that Wesley and Data weren't at the nav and ops stations during that scene, which is unusual I suppose but maybe with everything else going on, reaction shots from those two just weren't necessary. You'd need to have Data battle the Borgs if he'd been there, and the boy whimpering in the corner or something. Tight scene, no need for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

Thinking about it now, weren't Data and Wesley down in Engineering at the time working on turning the Deflector Dish into their (failed) Anti-Borg gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

But it only failed because Picard was turned into Locutos and so the Borg knew everything he knew otherwise it would have been a success.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was thinking of how easily that Borg cube dispatched the fleet at Wolf 359 and wondering now if it's because Picard/Locutus provided them with knowledge of shield frequencies/command codes. Although outmatched, the Enterprise managed to defend itself against the cube long enough to avoid being destroyed whereas the ships at Wolf 359 were obliterated in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,586 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya but they were also Mirandas and Excelsiors which DS9 has shown us have no shields and are made of toilet paper.

There's another possible contributing factor, Starfleet crews at the time were poorly trained/lacked experience at fleet level engagements. Outside of low scale, mostly one ship on each side roughly equally matched, conflicts with the Ferengi, Cardassians, and others which usually ended in one side running away Starfleet hadn't had a serious rival in decades. How long is unclear, Undiscovered Country implies peace with the Klingons for 60+ years at that point but the Enterprise-C's sacrifice was only 20ish years earlier. The latter could have pushed the Klingons from uneasy peace to true allies though. Q throwing the Enterprise at the Borg Cube did push Starfleet into training against a superior foe in Peak Performance but that didn't really work as Riker only stood a chance because of how well he knew Picard and the Enterprise-D.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

That was always my assumption alright, that Picard's knowledge helped the Borgs during the Wolf359 battle. Wasn't it somewhat mentioned in the episodes too?

After all this chat I'm going to have to give those episodes a watch again soon.

"the fight does not go well, Enterprise"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's also mentioned in the episode 'Family' Picard breaks down and tells how they used him. Also mentioned in the episode 'Drumhead'

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I get the impression that the Enterprise D had the benefit of having all of the most Borg-experienced people on board during those fights. They learned early that Picard had given the Borg an edge and changed all of their routines accordingly. However, over at Wolf 359 the fleet were in a mad rush to assemble every last ship they had, including some Oberths and Constitution Class ships. They were probably in no state to even start working on clever ways to get around the Borg's knowledge of Picard, and so they were doomed.

All the Ent-D really done was distracted the Borg. The real plan and what really destroyed them was rescuing Picard who then shut the cube down where as the Wolf 359 fleet seemed to go toe to toe with the cube.

Ms

We all know that is fake now come on. I would say it was just budget and time constraints that stopped them showing shield effects in the DS9 battle fights. They just wanted to make it look good maybe give the impression that they had been fighting for a while and so maybe there shields were low or gone and thats why the ships get destroyed easily.

Also as the Borg had assimilated Picard they had full knowledge of all the ships shields frequencies and Cammand codes so it was an easy battle for the Borg. If they could laugh at the stupidity of Starfleet in letting Picard have all that knowledge they probably would have.

Why Picard would know every ships shields frequency in starfleet and Cammand codes makes no sense? Surely only the Captain and engineer on each ship and the main people working with them should no and maybe an Admiral back at Starfleet Cammand incase of a ship mutiny or it getting stolen or something? Then he would tell the Captain of the nearest ship to go after that ship and share its codes and shield frequency be it Picard and the Enterprise or someone else.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

They were not fighting for a while there is one big battle in DS9 where you see the fight from the start and Mirandas are being ripped through with one shot because they have not been fitted with plot armour.

It's just one of those silly things that happens in TV.

The funny thing is (not sure where I saw it mentioned in canon) is the material that makes up Federation starship hulls is actually super strong, it's just that starship weapons happen to be more powerful than even the most powerful nukes of the 21st century. Like in the few cases where we see starships crash land into planets, the hull is mostly intact afterwards.

Given the strength of 23rd/24th century weapons, I'm surprised the likes of Earth and Vulcan seem to be so lightly defended. One stray photon torpedo from a starship in range and bye bye all life on the planet.

Boimler himself is on RLM this week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,048 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Ms

I do not think it would be all life. They are powerful weapons yes but they are not nukes. They are more like real big bombs even more powerful than the M.O.A.B that America has today. Also photon Torpedos can be set to different yields so it could be set to a low yield or maybe medium or high yield. I suppose it would depend on what the Torpedo is set at and also I think they are set to go off after a certain distance anyway at least Federation ones are.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Being a matter anti matter annihilation the yield could be anywhere from barely detectable to we cracked a planet. If current nukes were more powerful that's what they'd be using.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Here is a thought for ye.

What do you think the Borg do to Animals when they assimilate a whole planet?

For me I can not see them having any use for Cows or Goats, Lamps etc but cats and Dogs yes I could see them assimilate them as drones that deliver parts or clean up maybe. O could even see them having a use for mice and rats. Not sure of they would bother to assimilate insects do as just go primitive the nanotechnology would nearly be as big as some insects lol.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

@AMKC Hope that thought is not keeping you awake at night, constantly pondering on it?

https://www.quora.com/Do-the-Borg-ever-assimilate-pets-or-animals

Canonically, no. At no point in the Star Trek TV (prime) series did the Borg show interest in assimilating anything except humanoid species, with the exception of the Kazon, who were deemed unremarkable.

But now you have me pondering a silly What If? version, where the Borg assimilated Tribbles.

Well if Kazons were too dumb to assimilate surely assimilating dogs wouldn't be a good idea. It could lead to the hive mind just wanting to sniff other species and have Borg cubes chasing every comet they see just to return it to it's point of origin.

Ms

They would make great repair drones or like the robots you see rooming around in Star Wars them kind of drobe either cleaning the place up maybe lol.

Yes but dogs and cats are quiet intelligent just in a different way to us. Maybe the Borg could make use of that or maybe they just kill them all or use them all for energy who knows.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Part of being in the collective is the hive mind, non sapient creatures would detract from that and as Breezy pointed out Kazon don't even make the cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I thought the Borg would just liquidate the plant and animal life to use as resources to build Borg stuff.

All Eyes On Rafah

The first tease we get of them is a completely stripped colony on the Neutral Zone and the Earth in FC didn't look to have much green in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I'd keep a dog or a cat around sooner than a Kazon, tbh.

Given the state of Earth's atmosphere in the First Contact alternate timeline and the hot humid conditions on the inside of a Borg Cube (global warming on steroids), I assume most life on a planet gets killed off after the Borg taken over.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, canon now says the Borg are lonely so presumably any invasion of earth would have to include the 5 billion cats they'd spare, and keep around for company.

Advertisement