Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Does it not do a battery care cycle at 07:00 every morning if required? I remember seeing some strange sequence of charging lights on the front dash a number of weeks ago. When I looked it up it said it was charging the 12v battery

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's done at regular intervals certainly but not always at the same time. The issue is that it doesn't attempt to make any assessment of the SOC of the 12V battery and charge it accordingly, it just does it for a specific length of time, 20 mins ISTR. So if the battery is in bad shape for whatever reason, or has been run down by running accessories for too long or leaving lights on it never really gets a chance to recover properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Just a quick note on recharging the 12v battery. If anyone's concerned it might be low but don't have a charger for it then you can give it a proper boost by putting the car into utility mode while parked up. This will give a steady charge from the main HV battery to the 12v battery for the duration that it's sitting in utility mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭davidod1

The morning after I collected my new MY22 I found that had a totally flat 12V battery. I had opened the doors without issue, but when I pressed the Start Button everything lit up for a short moment and then it all died.

I did know to check the 12V battery as there had been issues reported. I don't remember the exact voltage, but it was 10.? Volts. I did try to charge the battery, but the charger just would not start. I think the battery was just to low to get to activate the charger. I contacted my dealer and he said that he would get a replacement (loan) car over to me until the issue was sorted. He also initiated a call to KIA Assist and they contacted me by phone a short time later.

KIA Assist passed the call on to the AA who then called me and told me that they would have someone there within the hour, which they did. Needless to say, a quick jump-start and everything was rock & rolling. The AA chap hung around for about half an hour taking measurements on the battery and system as he wanted to make sure that the 12V battery was being charged up properly. It was, and I have not had any issues since then.

I did go out any buy a jump starter straight away, a Noco Boost Sport from Halfords. So far I have not had any issues, but it fits very neatly in a pocket in the boot and I'm glad it's there.

I have been through the three Niro models, the mild-hybrid, the PHEV and now the e-Niro. I really happy with the first two, and enjoyed the improvements and new driving experiences. But nothing compares to the enjoyment that I get from the e-Nero. I would have had the option of waiting for the new model, but given the information and detail that we now have, I would still make the same decision today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Do keep an eye on the battery. If you read back through this thread, you'll see all the issues I encountered. I eventually had to just hand the car back and demand a new replacement car. Since I got the new car back in March 21, I haven't had any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

Maybe think about re-locating that Noco Boost into the glove box. Try and get to it in the boot with entry only through the driver's door !!! Certainly, NEVER put it under the boot floor

Yes I did read about your woes. It must have been seriously stressful for you at the time. Glad they did the right thing and replaced the car without having to be dragged kicking and screaming in to a court room.

Maybe you are right, the glovebox would be a better place for it. Thanks👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,661 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I really wonder what stuff did they apply to internal side of the windscreen. Small area cleaned for a toll tag, another for a dashcam. Both fell of within a few hours. Used APC and cleaning wipes which came in with a toll tag.

Now, cleaned again with white spirits, APC and finally damp cloth. Re-applied both items and ms. jou drove away to work. Awaiting her call "they both fell again!" ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Wondering what are the service costs at various dealers in Dublin and if any one got their ENIRO serviced recently .

The minimum I can see is the one below which doesn't really seem to be covering much ..

Minor Service **Incl. FREE 1 Year AA Cover worth €189 when booked online** More info

€149.65

Free Health Check More info

FREE

• Advertisement

UK prices are out for the new Niro range ...

Will be interesting to see what the spec is here when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

My guess is that Irish version will be the middle of the road spec, the "3" version, and slightly more expensive than in the UK.

Full specs are available here: ( also includes the colour version with the C pillar combinations)

https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/uk/en/assets/vehicles/The_all-new_Niro/specification/Niro_Family_SS_V10_14.04.2022.pdf

I wonder will they offer the c pillar as the same colour as the car itself? I hate the different colours!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭baby fish

Yes, body colour is supposed to be available too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I'm reality it wont be as it will qualify for the €5I grant here. Amazing that EVs sell in the UK given the very limited Govt incentives. Even the cheapest Niro doesnt qualify for a subsidy. They'd be uproar here if the equivalent subsidy system was introduced. It would certainly be the end of the Greens and a climate catastrophe

It appears the contrasting C pillar is an option and only available on the upper end models, the "4" in the UK, and whatever the top end model is in the Netherlands.

I can't imagine many people going for it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

I agree, combined with the expected issue with the availability, people are not going to be bothered about different colour of C pillar - they will buy what is available. Wondering what is Kia Ireland doing taking their sweet time to figure out what are they bringing into this market.

No change there. Back in Mar 2020, the first we knew of the specs of the MY20 was when it actually arrived at the dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

While launching an updated model, they're also keeping a version of the current model going, as Niro Plus. I'd guess it's unlikely to make it here, but you never know. They say Korea and selected markets. It's a very tiny bit longer and a bit higher. With a taxi specific variant also available with thinner seats and door trim to increase interior space that bit more. The taxi also has taxi related stuff, including a meter and tachograph, in the infotainment to remove the need for extra equipment to be installed.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/04/kia-keeps-the-first-gen-niro-alive-as-a-stretched-out-electrified-taxi/

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Went to start the Niro, was fully charged yesterday, and it's completely dead. It made a clicking noise, and some of the internal lights clicked on/off a few times, and now nothing! Any ideas? Nothing was plugged into it internally that might have drained the battery

• Advertisement

Likely to have been low, and then just dropped off completely.

Get a Noco Genius Boost GB20 and keep it in the glove box

Ironic how earlier this week I saw y'all talking about it and was wondering what it was. Definitely going to get it. I have **** old battery charger for previous cars, would that work too? As in, plug it and charge the 12v battery throughout the day?

It's a normal 12 v Lead-Acid battery, just charged abnormally

Sorry for these silly questions - do I jump start the battery via another car and after that need to buy a 12v battery charger to charge it back up?

You can jump via another while the other is Off / not running. You only barely need 12v with tiny current. You might even get the contactors to open with a PP3 battery.

A normal charger will charge it.

Brill, thank you very much

Managed to get it working with someones jump starter thing, just like the Noco Genius Boost but a different brand. Bought myself the Noco from Micksgarage for the future.

Problem is the battery is dead once again (been working from home, so hadn't driven the car since I started it). I need the car tomorrow so I figured I could jump start with the same booster thing again and I assume the 1.5 hr drive should charge the 12v battery, is that a fair assumption?

If it's dead again on my return journey - can I jump start via bog standard cables to someone else's battery do you know or would that damage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It’s needs a full charge session… 24hrs

Jump any number of times. Remember that the other car should really not be running.

Seriously, grab a PP3 from home and some wire and give it a go tomorrow before you leave. It will be about 10v

• Advertisement

Any update from Kia on when the new Niro EV will be available in Ireland and pricing?

Advertisement