Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making the Worst of a Good Friday: The Late Late Show-Friday 15th April 2022

Options

Comments

I'd say the whole thing is as reliable as a nine bob note (showing my age, I know)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 72,523 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm sensing a Pat Kenny Stretching Pose Thread comng on 🤣

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

You have to wonder if Tubridy has some issue with women? Like, I know that when you look back on some interviews Gay Byrne did, he said some things that would raise eyebrows nowadays. But then again, times were different.

Nowadays, Tubridy's been called out in interviews (a number of times) by women, for either harassing questions, or sort of 'bullying' the guest (women) with his questions. I remember when Giovanni Trappatoni would be interviewed, his interpreter was often like 'Why are you picking on me?' as he would tend to get too intrusive with his questioning.

Another time, he had a guest on who he'd previously interviewed as a Rose of Tralee. She was starring in a touring, musical production (I think it was either Chicago, or Caberet) as she was a trained performer. He was planning to play the clip where he interviewed her on RoT, years before, and she was like 'Oh I remember that-my brothers and sisters were saying 'God, he was horrible to you up there, wasn't he?''. He ended up not playing the clip.

He gets defensive about it too, rather than doing some soul searching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Gay Byrne was a snob towards the end of his run at least, look at his reaction to P. Flynn's answer, he hasn't a clue what's just happened. Annie Murphy's interview (she was completely right to walk off the stage).

Pat Kenny as very nervous of big topics or allowing them to continue. He'd interviewed RTÉ's Crime Correspondent just before an interview with Blondie, and one of the band members wanted to talk about the previous subject, but Pat was a nervous wreck trying to move what would have possibly been a real debate, and prob could have included the audience.

I think twitter would explode with those guests.

Neither Pat or Tubs had time for the audience.

which RoT was it, that would be funny to see.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

look at his reaction to P. Flynn's answer, he hasn't a clue what's just happened.

I always thought that Gaybo did what any good interviewer would do with the P Flynn interview, gave him the rope and let him hang himself - which he did.

That interview went down in history, literally, and had wide ranging effects far beyond what anyone could have imagined on that night.

Gaybo didn't always get things right, nor did Pat Kenny, but there is no comparison in either case, with Tubridy, in my opinion, he is so goddam bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Kildare1976

Completely agree.... Can anyone name one good interview or impact that he has had on this country?

I agree with you on the last 2 points, but just re-watch how pompous Gay Byrne is after he's given the answer, IMO he's no idea that the questioner handed him a rope, that Flynn tied the noose, put it around his own neck and pulled the leaver to the trap door beneath him. Gay just moved the conversation along unware of the hanging that had just taken place. Now I haven't seen his reaction to his Flynn's "he's not a well man" remark. Perhaps Gay knew that Flynn was in a full pompous mood, but I honestly don't think he did. but in saying that the interview would not take place with Tubs at the helm.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

P Flynn interview was one of Gays finest hours, it produced an historic tv moment. He knew exactly what kind of subject he was dealing with. He repeatedly stroked his ego “you have immense power don’t you Paraic?”.

• Advertisement

😂 'I wanna tell you something...you should try it sometime.' 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ya Pee walked into that one, however he was immensely popular in his constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Riffin Ryan isn't shy of a bit of ego stroking either, but in his case I believe its driven 100% by a desperate need to be wanted and liked by anybody of note so that they can be hen pecked into going for a pint with him after the show so he can name drop for for rest of his life.

Things have gotten to a stage now that whenever I see news of a tragedy or fatality I immediately picture Ryan letting loose the Late Late show production team to try get a grieving relative on the air for that Friday.

“With a couple of cars, a few housekeepers and all the rest of it…”

Imagine him with P Flynn in that scenario. The hands would be waving 😂 It was a great piece of car crash tv.

It’s a much safer bet to take the misery angle than to take the risk on a guest where Ryan is relied on to be witty and be able to complement the guests sense of humour. He simply doesn’t have the skillset for that. It’s much easier to go for the low hanging fruit and pander to the rubbernecker instinct in people. Grim.

Sad but very true. He is an absolute ghoul for grief and misery in general.

And then he does not have the skills in any way, shape or form to deal with what might potentially happen with a grieving person or family on a chat show. They most likely would be best advised not to take part. I believe the Barry McGuigan interview was a case in point. I don't watch the LLS but read a bit about that particular interview.

I am watching an old episode of the Graham Norton show here, and yes, of course it's about people promoting their films, music, books and so forth. But it's funny, and light entertainment. And that's what I want in a chat show.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That would be funny if kids got defensive about being asked their age, which they don't.

Not sure if it has been mentioned but the late debate with Katie Hannon last night and by coincidence had a special on past Political Faux pas and guess who came up first, the delightful Pee Flynn's infamous late late interview with Gaybo . Charles Haugheys infamous "Living beyond our means" speech also featured, as well as the Hillarious Joe Jacob Iodine Tablet & Nuclear preparedness discussion with Marian Finucane. (absolutely Hillarious) 😂😂

Worth a, listen back 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Gaybo was a snobbish, condescending sort, but a far, far better interviewer than Tubbers could ever hope to be. He could flip from serious to light entertainment effortlessly, Pat K was/is awkward and borderline creepy in comparison.

He was of his time with all the prejudices that come with that (see Annie M, most conservative viewers of that time would have had the same attitude as Gay)

It's hard to imagine now when all most people think of is the older conservative Gaybo quite how groundbreaking he was in his youth and how offensive some powers at that time found him.

Have to agree, whilst generally a great interviewer he was condescending, Arrogant and pompous. He had some pretty backward opinions and whilst it was a different time, it doesn't excuse his behaviour on many occasions , his treatment of some guests was appalling. Very pro Catholic Church and I got a sense he so absolutely no wrong with some high profile priests and one Bishop in particular.

One thing about Pat he could do serious and also was able to show empathy (weather real or not).

Did they mention taxing children's shoes?

______

Yesterday

I don't think so, I just caught first 30 minutes , I did actually like Pat Kenny but he struggled with the lighter stuff , good at serious discussion, uncomfortable with showbiz, Luvvie type nonsense.

One great moment however

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Tbh, Ryan struggles with everything. Have to feel sorry for the people who put time and effort into securing a guest for the show, only for Ryan to muck it up and thus end the interview after less than ten minutes (full interview is on youtube , with the clip he showed from D.G., and the interview itself, it barely came to 9 minutes in total).

The guests get an appearance fee. For 9 minutes, she certainly got over paid.

Pat Kenny was pretty good for serious interviews (tho he could lick the odd anal passage of a politician he liked, the odd time he had Haughey call into the show was cringey) whilst Tubridy, I think you can find his interview with Bertie Ahern, and it was less an interview, more Ryan flirting with Bertie the whole interview. It was uncomfortable, and many called it out as uncomfortable. I shudder to think what they got up to between ad breaks.

Gay Byrne let Padraig Flynn bury himself, and had an open disdain towards the likes of Charlie Haughey. (Charlie had to 'sneak' onto the set when the Dubliner's had their LLS special. He wasn't, otherwise, brought on the show under Gay Byrne's time at the helm).

But to discuss Gay Byrne, without mentioning this clip... just imagine Pat, or Ryan, responding to this-would they have handled it with the same level of... majesty? I sincerely doubt it.

This genuinely felt like the country ground to a halt, at the time. I was only a child, and even I noticed it. Still a powerful moment, a quarter of a century later. (RIP to so many in this clip).

I actually noticed that clip was up next on you tube , didn't want to mention it at the time but my god, could you imagine Ryan being confronted by that. Gay struggled a bit but gained his composure, the Poet ( name escapes me) recited an amazing poem at the end , but the mad Nun, mother of God it was different times 😏

• Advertisement

But to discuss Gay Byrne, without mentioning this clip... just imagine Pat, or Ryan, responding to this-would they have handled it with the same level of... majesty? I sincerely doubt it.

It was an extraordinary moment, for sure, and I guess that was what made the show entertaining back then. The unexpected. A panel of guests, often very famous faces. Controversial topics.

I have a recording of the show with the Dubliners, it was shown in more recent years, and it's a master class in presenting, by Gaybo, imo. And I wasn't his biggest fan, or anything.

I think Pat Kenny would have coped in that scenario, probably differently but would have coped. It was a very tough situation. As for Tubridy, I shudder to think. He would probably start asking the bereaved woman could she be a guest the following week. 🙄

I know I have posted this previously but here goes. Both Gaybo and Pat wiped the floor with Tubridy on the anniversary show. And it wasn't that they were trying to do so, it simply happened organically because of his ineptitude.

Just one example, Tubridy greeted someone in the audience, asked them how they were, they replied something along the lines of it had been a tough year. His reply was the equivalent of 'yeah, yeah, whatever'. He immediately moved to greet the next person. Pat Kenny brought the conversation back to the person whose response Tubridy had basically ignored, and gave them a chance to speak. Just in a natural, courteous way to acknowledge what they had said.

As I said it wasn't that he or Gaybo set out to show Tubridy up, that night, Tubridy did and does that all by himself. There's no sincerity or rapport there with anyone.

Advertisement