Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭B2021M

There’s been enough upheaval in their lives.

True but I doubt needing to move accommodation would be one of them.

I beg to differ. In the 6 months, they will be established in schools, possibly work and a support network of sorts in that area. If other accommodation couldn’t be found in the same area, the upheaval would be very unfair. Imagine it happening again and again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

so , whats your solution ? How are you going to sort it out ? Do you have a house you can give indefinitely to someone ? How would you sort this issue out ? Would you build 40k houses overnight ? Or would you expect 40k houses to be pledged for years ?. How many houses have you to spare to pledge ?

I am interested to hear your great idea for this emergency ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Interest rates are going to increase to fight inflation and house prices will be falling. Your property will be worth far less in six months.

Though you have good intentions, any family that move in will likely need to move further away from schools that they get into. Could they even afford to live in the area, moving doctors etc.

The government will start looking into prefab builds as the whole situation is unrealistic. Keep in mind these people cant vote so come election time all these grand gestures will be out the window to get more votes.

• Advertisement

No different for any young family in temp accommodation... I suspect you're exaggerating the problems involved. Knowing that the term would end after 6 months, preparations can be made. It's not the same for Irish people who don't have any kind of organisation to fall back on, and in all likelihood the Ukrainian community will be active by then, well prepared to help out. As for schools, and such, they don't need to find them for themselves... and work? Commuting is always an option, since Ireland is pretty damn small for anyone who has experienced living in bigger countries or large cities.

So whats the solution ? These people are coming every day . Prefabs dont pop up overnight and the hotels are full

• Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

I stayed out of this conversation for my own sanity when I saw some posters ridiculing someone who was willing to offer an empty house for 6 months when it's clear they themselves have done nothing for anyone.

So firstly iamwhoiam, well done you and your family for offering the house to the red cross. I don't understand why they're not acting faster seeing as there are already Ukrainians in hotels. Surely 6 months in a house is preferable to 6 months in a hotel.

We have offered accommodation also, large bedroom, single bedroom and living room with TV etc which is separate to our living space. To me it seems ideal, not as good as separate house but still lots of space. I got a follow up call from the red cross last week and they said they'd be in touch this week re garda vetting etc. Its all so slow.

My biggest concern is the length of time... we have committed to one year but honestly I can't see a lot of the Ukrainians heading back in a year. Even if the war is over tomorrow, there's so much rebuilding to do. I mentioned this to the woman who rang from the red cross and she said if at the end of one year you can't commit for longer they will be placed in a hotel or other accommodation. However this is the part that worries me, we are rural so kids would enrol in local school and make friends. So it would be very hard at the end of one year to say ok pack your bags, you're moving. Part of me thinks it's still worthwhile to offer 'sanctury' for a year and would allow the family time to settle in and learn English, get a job etc but I am concerned about that aspect of how it all 'ends '.

Of course its possible at the end of a year, we are happy for the arrangement to continue until such a time as they do return home or settle in Ireland but its a big unknown.

I do think though that offering an empty house when you could sell or rent it is such a lovely kind gesture, do not get the negativity on boards sometimes

The army should have been doing tents from the start not leaving it last minute because some didn’t like the idea of camps. It’s a self generated mess by our politicians. Now there’s a two tier system, get in firsts and get a hotel, get in last and it’s a tent.

And well done to you and your family . I see tonight on the news that hotels and BandB’s are full and they are now going to Millstreet Arena . They will have camp beds with partitions in a large space

Now no one can tell me that if a mother with 3-4 children would choose Millstreet over a furnished 4 bed house . I am quite sure that even if its only for 6 months that some family would gladly take that six months

People are saying that they would be then disrupted after six months but they also wont be long term in many hotel or indeed sport halls etc .

I see a huge need for short term of six months until the government step up and sort out the whole issue of housing

If they now turn down offers of less that a year they are biting off their nose to spite their face as it will be a huge loss of beds and shelter

I wish you and your family the very best and hope everything works out for you all

• Advertisement

Funnily enough we had this conversation here last night . Those who arrived first get the decent hotels and those who struggled to leave or left in a hurry from horrors are now in Millstreet on campbeds . These are deeply traumatised people who have left parents and grandparents behind

It’s kicking the can down the road as usual. What will the attitude be when they are competing for social housing and public hospital beds. This will turn into a class divide issue too.

I'm sorry IamwhoIam......I hate this new Boards , i have to quote your entire post rather than just a single sentence which I think is the crux!

You say "I see a huge need for short term of six months until the government step up and sort out the whole issue of housing"

THIS is the biggest problem. If the Government have not been able to sort out the housing issue for the last 3-4 years or longer for Irish citizens they are going to be completely unable to "sort out the whole issue of housing" now!!

They are inept, useless at making decisions, useless at doing anything that could affect their future re-election, useless at standing up and telling the truth.... and have proved this over and over and over again. This is a disaster in the making. We have the worst housing crisis in the EU, we have far fewer houses than any other EU country.... we cannot even house our own people. I despair at the incompetence of the Irish Government.

Our Government should have said

"due to our current housing crisis we will have to cap Ukranian refugees at 20K. If and when we get accommodation for these unfortunate people and if we can source extra accommodation, THEN we will take another 10K. We do not want a situation where we have families living in tents".

To expect the Government to "sort out this whole issue of housing" is really far too simplistic a wish and is not going to happen. We are now in a mess of our own making. Again

Sorry i have to quote your whole post too ! But yes I see your point and you are right of course . But I still think that offering a furnished vacant house for six months is better than nothing . I was criticised for not offering it indefinitely by a few posters so still trying to make the point that if that offer is not good enough for the Red Cross then so be it

we should provide cheap flights to canada, maybe some are here just for a stop over

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

6 months provides some time to work out and arrange alternative options over the medium term. We're offering our old place initially for a year. We'll see what the situation is maybe 9 months down the line. I fully anticipate extending that initial period. At this stage we don't need the money, or indeed any rent. If the value goes down then so be it. When this war is over we may well see a bounce in property values but who knows

In the meantime the government need to work on the planning process and security of tenure rules to protect refugees and owners

In another 6 months we will be facing winter and we don't want to be putting people up in campsites. Hopefully we will also be seeing an end to this war and some structure returning to Ukraine although it seems to me that millions will remain displaced for a long time.

I agree, a fully furnished house for 6 months provides more stability and breathing space than tents or a campbed in Millstreet. Well done to you for offering, its not for everybody. I hope everyone who is pledging a house and space is remembered by the Government for their generosity and given assistance if this situation goes on longer than 6 months or even 12 months. People who have pledged rooms or houses should not be expected to deal with this long term just because they have been more than generous in the initial emergency period (unless they want to). The Government needs to come up with a serious plan urgently. Good luck :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,117 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Myself and my partner offered put house to share. We don't have any kids, only downside was that we were a 5k away from two main towns. Buses pass through every couple hours so least they have that.

We got a mother and her 2 kids which are joining local school next Monday when re opens.

She herself was a school teacher and the kids have ok English.

Myself and partner are happy to have them over 6 months. To be honest I be shocked if it was for less than 1 or 2 years.

Or house is big enough to have that free space for us . It's all good.

The stories from their home are scary but her stories from when they arrived are pretty sad way things are not organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Firstly, I'll echo the "fair play" to iamwhoiam and the other posters who are offering accommodation - regardless of the length involved. It's frankly ridiculous the attitude of some others to this.

Secondly, the point about disruption.. Private renters are disrupted all the time as landlords decide to sell up, move back in, or otherwise reclaim the house. They just have to get on with it (often with the minimum amount of notice) and yet no one seems to be too bothered about that. At least these refugees will know from day 1 how much time they have to work with.

Thirdly, this is all no surprise. The ridiculous notion of throwing the doors open to anyone who arrives from Ukraine in the midst of an existing housing crisis and a country dealing with the effects of dramatically increasing costs of living and fuel was never going to end well for anyone - but this is what happens when policy is made on kneejerk emotionalism rather than pragmatism.

The complaints from some here about the unpalatable consequences (which are surely still better than these people staying in Ukraine, right?) should be directed to the Government TDs who rushed to commit the country to an unrealistic and unsustainable plan, not those like the posters here who are generously stepping into the wholly predictable gaps out of sympathy and generosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 garlic bread

That sounds great, really hope it all works out for you all. I have that concern also as we are also far from the nearest town but then I'd imagine they're not coming here for entertainment and just want a roof over their heads and security for their children.

• Advertisement

Well said Kaiser . This mess is not caused by those who offer time or homes or organising donations . Only for the volunteers in hotels and airports etc this situation would be so much worse . These people who fled horrors would have no clean underwear or clothes or nappies for their babies if it wasn’t for people reaching out to help

If people are not happy with how this will work out they should aim their anger at their TD’s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I'm expecting to see the hordes of empty units such as the ones Kennedy Wilson have at Capital Dock to suddenly become available at a premium to the Govt for rent.

That building has been half filled for years. Full of brand new apartments being witheld from the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Does anyone know how a Ukrainian family can check if a host family have been vetted by the red Cross?

Family I know offered accommodation by a family who say they are checked but the Ukrainians want to be sure before they move.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would be interested to know if anyone has been placed by the Red Cross. It is they who should be allocating refugees to specific houses,/households. I don't think the Red Cross should be approving and then leaving it up to householders to find suitable refugees. It should be a case of the Red Cross matching refugees to specific houses/households

All the arrangements I have heard of so far have been done privately

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Isn't it amazing how Covid is no longer an issue when the government decide to place people in sports hall and tents? How they can advise people to continue wearing masks, and remind them that Covid hasn't gone away you know, yet we can accommodate those fleeing a war in a communal setting?

I say that as someone who is not a Covid denier, nor an anti-vaxxer. It's almost as if it wasn't thought through.

Still, we can criticise those who offer suitable and comfortable accommodation, even if it's short-term.

Is Covid still a thing? Haven’t heard we’re being advised to do anything any more

• Registered Users Posts: 16,987 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

will house prices not skyrocket ?

thats what usually happens when demand outstrips supply.

Not really for this thread but high house prices have built up due to low interest rates. Many people have not been through an inflationary cycle but as wage demands try and keep up with inflation it often triggers an inflationary cycle. The only recognised way to deal with that in an open economy is to increase interest rates

Our interest rates will be driven by the ECB .

High interest rates mean mortgages become much more expensive and risks significant falls in house prices as people struggle to make repayments. Increases in interest rates are likely to cost a lot more than increases in wages will cover

The longer this war goes on the more unstable the global economy becomes and the fish of inflation spiraling out of control increases

• Advertisement

Yeah, probably about as plausible as someone turning down an offer of €10,000 a week to rent their house…

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement