Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Luke Marshall has been in great form imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Extremely grateful to be an Ulster supporter this morning. What an incredible 160 minutes of Rugby. They can be proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭launish116

It’s hard not to feel for the guys! Always punching well above their weight!

Really hate red cards like that, especially when you have 18 stone trucking it at you!

no excuses now not to focus purely on the league and make sure everyone is fresh and raring to go! We’re always going to struggle on two fronts!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

First Ulster game at the Ravenspan yesterday for me. Top quality crowd and a great place to watch a match. Although tricky to get a bite, a pint and a taxi back to Belfast.

Gutted for the result, but if you're going to lose at least lose in style, and in that regard toulouse were magnificent.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

Munster this weekend will be tough after a huge effort

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

This is just my opinion and it may be unpopular but I think people are going very easy on Ulster. I personally think Ulster have a better team and a better coach than Munster, but if Munster lost that tie from the position Ulster were in, they'd get absolutely slaughtered. Whereas Ulster are getting patted on the back for a brave effort.

They should have won that tie. Toulouse weren't particularly good in either game and had 14 men for the vast majority of the first game. They've not had a good season and their away form is awful. Ulster put themselves in positions of great strength in both games but allowed Toulouse back into it in both. There was some braindead errors and decisions from experienced, key players like Henderson and Cooney. O'Toole's red card was stupid and very avoidable. Toulouse were on the ropes and completely rattled, a team with a killer instinct would have finished them off. And until Ulster develop that they won't challenge for trophies.

I also think some respect needs to be put on Billy Burns' name. He may not be world class or good enough for Ireland, but he's a good player who has had an excellent season and performed very well in big games. Ulster would be in big trouble if he got injured.

It just annoys me when I see people say stuff like "Ulster need a proper 10" or when Luke Fitzgerald is slandering him on his podcast. I think we have this weird thing in Ireland where if a 10 isn't goal kicking, that has an adverse effect on people's perception of them.

Everyone is calling for Ross Byrne to be called back into the Ireland squad, but when both Ross and Burns were in the squad in 2020, Burns performed better.

Can say Ulster should of won that!

That first game, I have not seen physicality like it all season! We’re not the biggest team by far and at the final whistle you could see how drained the players were.

Toulouse are reigning Champions with an international squad. Even at their worst they are unpredictable and can make something out of nothing!

Ulster punch well above their weight and sooner we realise silverware is a any given day dream the better. On our day we could beat anyone

We’ve improved there’s no doubt, but there is still glaring holes in our depth. Atleast we can now focus on one front!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Still disappointed after Saturday.

When you lose by a point against a side of the quality of Toulouse over 160 minutes it's hard to take, but that's sport.

What could we have done differently? Better discipline would have helped. You have to feel for O'Toole when Herring's intervention was far more dangerous, in fact could have really complained it it was two red cards? Something similar in the Zebo red card on Lowry earlier in the season when I think there was another Munster player involved who could have got red. I'm not sure what the law states there. I'm yet to see two players sent off for the same incident.

Also we turned down one kick at goal early in the second half and kicked to the corner and got no reward. Easy to say now but even at the time I thought that was a questionable decision.

It was the stuff of fine margins so probably doesn't require a deep inquest. We've made massive strides this season.

We have three regular season matches left in the URC, Munster at home, Edinburgh away and the Sharks at home, win all three and we'll finish 2nd and have a home quarter final and potential home semi final. That's got to be the aim and we're good enough to do it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We have to reach the league final now. That is the absolute minimum, anything less would be a huge let down again.

• Advertisement

As it stands we'd be at home to Edinburgh in the Q/F.

Win that and as it stands we'd then be at home to the winner of Glasgow v Sharks.

So you're right we absolutely should be aiming for a place in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

100% this. It's our only focus; we go hell for leather for URC silverware.

Billy Burns and Kieran Treadwell sustained concussions during the Heineken Champions Cup defeat against Toulouse on Saturday. Both players will now follow the Graduated Return to Play protocols.

The Ulster medical staff trying to make him to play on looks pretty bad now.

Either they or the independent medical officer reviewed the footage and took him and he did not play on, that's the system working.

It was the independent match doctor. The Ulster staff were trying to get him to play on after he'd been clearly knocked out cold. You could see them arguing with the independent doctor on TV.

Whoever tried to let him play on should lose their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

So you could hear what they were saying.....Remarkable.

Why were they arguing with the independent match doctor wanting to remove a player who'd been clearly knocked out from the field?

No matter how you spin it, it looks terrible. Especially in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

You have no idea what was being discussed so you rush to your conclusion without one iota of evidence.

For the Dupont try, watch Treadwell over to the left of the shot stumble around the pitch, clearly with no idea where he is, struggling to even stand up before collapsing to the ground when Dupont scores.

There was then a time-off while the ref talked to Henderson, then the conversion was taken. Then about three minutes after being knocked out and not being able to stand, the game is about to restart and Treadwell is still on the field ready to resume and not only have the Ulster medical staff failed to remove him from the field, but they're arguing with the independent match doctor who wants him removed (which the Ulster medical staff should have done 3 minutes ago).

It was disgraceful and I'm amazed it hasn't gotten any media coverage. But then Ulster do always get an incredibly easy ride from the media.

• Advertisement

We don't get an easy ride - we don't get covered. Ulster fans have been told a million times that we're not a concern - Leinster have a much bigger population, Munster have a grander history and Connacht have a better underdog narrative. ( All great reasons and clearly absolutely more fundamental than "the Southern media don't generally give a toss about a team out who are based primarily in Northern Ireland".)

We've been over this in terms of the RTE coverage, we've been over this in terms of the Northern/Southern split.

There is no greater out-and-out love affair between a province and the media than the coverage of Leinster. There is no more disproportionate and wallowing-in-nostalgia coverage between the media and a province than the reporting on Munster.

That's all she wrote, as they say. If you're right about the treatment of Treadwell (and I haven't watched it back), that's appalling.

But your "Ulster get an easy ride from the media" nonsense is just that - nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

2 good sides named for the weekend. Lowry at out half! Madigan must not be rated. This match should be a humdinger. Munster going very strong also. It will be very interesting watching Lowry as a 10. It's his preferred position and he will be chomping at the bit.

As Ulster are my 2nd favorite side, I hope they do win. But, it's a very good Munster side on deck!

Who will the media ride after this?

Feck, I thought you were talking nonsense before that gem about Ulster getting an easy ride from the media!

"We've been over this in terms of the RTE coverage, we've been over this in terms of the Northern/Southern split."

Can you tell me - because I genuinely have no idea - as to whether RTE and/or TG4 have broadcasting rights for URC games that take place in Northern Ireland? Also, should it not be up to BBC NI to cover Ulster rugby, seeing as NI viewers are paying their licence fee to the Beeb?

They do - I've recorded Ulster games from RTE. They're not geo-blocked, unlike Ireland 6N games up North, which is very frustrating.

Also, Ulster fans in Cavan (Virginia RFC is growing and really starting to motor), Monaghan and Donegal (Letterkenny RFC has a few lads in the Ulster set-up) aren't payng a licence fee to the Beeb. They're paying one for RTE.

Good to see that BBC NI is covering tonight's game; I wonder will Robbo be unmuzzled so he can butcher the action with his intolerable puns.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Exactly. For all any of us know, the independent doc was saying one of the two players wasn’t out cold and the Ulster doc was arguing that he was and needed to come off. Or maybe they weren’t even arguing at all but just looked like it. We don’t know.

My patience with this bunch of absolute losers is wearing very thin.

Complete and utter rubbish. I don’t want to hear a word about being affected by last week.

More then one of them need to have a good long look at themselves tonight.

• Advertisement

Embarrassing indeed! how did we ever think we could compete on two front.

Depth & rotation is still a big issues, are reliance on keys players week in week out is killing us.

Advertisement