Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Principal Officer competition 2019

1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 everycloud

I'm in Batch 2.1 but haven't yet received an offer, or any indication that one is coming. I didn't think it was possible (or allowed) to offer to candidates further down the panel?? Are you absolutely sure that someone from Batch 2.2 has been appointed? I'm beyond frustrated now...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 BluePagoda

Maybe the people appointed from batch 2.2 have accepted rural appointments which would result in moving them from the Dublin panel - which would account for the apparent movement on the Dublin panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Maybenever

Hi, they way it was explained to me was that if you picked Dublin and nowhere else, and someone else picked, say, Cork then if a cork post came up, they would get that position even though overall you might have been no. 6 and they no. 12. Do you see what I mean? So it is entirely possible for someone behind you in the OOM to get a position ahead of you based on your regional preferences.

That may or may not be of help! and FAO thread, I've been placed.

Thanks @BluePagoda and @Maybenever for the assurances. It's my first time on a panel like this so I wasn't aware that those taken off regional panels could influence the OOM of the Dublin panel but PAS has confirmed that this is indeed the case.

There are now 2 people on the second batch (aka Batch 2.1) for Dublin yet to be appointed, with those appointed from the third batch (aka Batch 2.2) taking up regional roles. There don't seem to be Dublin offers on the horizon and strangely few in recent months after averaging one per week earlier in the year... The more positive news is that there's no set expiry date for the panel so many of us still haunting this thread can remain optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Regularreggie

Hi, anyone else got some updates on this batch 2.1 for Dublin. I also wonder if there is anther batch in place behind 2.2? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭HartsHat

Does the panel have a closing date?

The latest info I have from PAS is that there's still at least one person to come off batch 2.1 for Dublin... I don't know if there's a batch 2.3 in place yet behind 2.2. but I was also told that there is no set expiry date for the panel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Panels are usually in place for a maximum of two years from the first appointment- while I believe it is possible to keep them open longer than that, I’m not sure how frequently they would do that, as it’s not best practice etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ladder22

2.3 is now formed. Vacancies still being filled from 2.1 & 2.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

AHCPS December newsletter which just landed suggests a new PO competition is planned for early 2022

• Advertisement

Thanks Ladder22. Have we any idea how many is on panel 2.3? Find it hard to beleive that they would set up anther panel if they intended to have a PO comp in early 2022. Although "early" could be the end of Q2 I suppose.

No idea how many are on it. Would be interesting to know what criteria they use to open a new panel, given 2 previous panels are still in operation. I hear there is strong demand from depts to fill vacancies. No indication yet when they’ll begin drawing from 2.3.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

From the AHCPS newsletter

“PO (2019)

This panel has been added to on several occasions. 122 candidates have been placed on the panel and to date 74 have been assigned. 8 candidates did not proceed with their appointments.”

I finally got white smoke. Think panel 2.1 may be finished now or very nearly....

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShellyMCD

Thank you! It was a frustrating wait but the regular and informative updates from yourself and others on this thread kept me going (and sane!!) and were much appreciated :)

Congrats everycloud - worth waiting for (I hope)😎

Congrats Everycloud, a nice end to the year. All the best with the new assignment.

Some reading suggestions for preparing for the role/interviews “The Leadership Challenge” Kouzes and Posner, HBR 10 series is great - I enjoyed the New Managers one (even as an old manager) and “Getting Up to Speed in Govt” Daly and Watkins (a lot of obvious stuff, but a good framework all the same)

Thanks everycloud and congrats I am sure its a relief not to be waiting around any longer. Just out of curiosty, were you informed in the last couple of days? For those still waiting. I understand there are 6 poeple on the latest batch which is 2.3 ( I think). There have been no appointments from the 2.2 panel but i understand that the first 3 people on the batch are no longer on the panel, i assume they have withdrawn or taken a regional option

• Advertisement

Thanks Regularreggie. I heard from PAS just before Christmas. Hopefully there will be lots of offers early in the New Year in advance of a new competition being launched. Best of luck to you and everyone else waiting to hear and Happy New Year to all!

Any movement on this since Christmas? Most internal panels must be nearly exhausted at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 6 imwiththeband

Hi, I heard that the new competition is due to be advertised this week or next.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Has anyone been placed from that last mini-panel? I presume it will be active until a new panel is formed in any case, which could be 4-6 months from the launch of the new competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

New PO competition opened today. New thread needed!!!!

PAS confirmed 12 people still on panels 2:1 and 2:2 for Dublin earlier this month. Will be touch and go for those of us on 2:3.

• Advertisement

Just to point out that the new competition is only for vacancies in the Departments of An Taoiseach, Finance and Public Expenditure & Reform. All other Departments will still be using this panel. So no tears yet 😥

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Other way round, I think. The new competition from last week will establish a new general PO panel. This will be relevant for all Departments (although DFA have their own Counsellor competition from last year).

There is then expected to be a "Principal Officer Higher Competition" held later in the year to fill vacancies in the Departments of An Taoiseach, Finance & Public Expenditure and Reform.

That still potentially interacts with the new competition, in that you could either apply as an existing PO or as a successful candidate from the first round of interviews from the 2022 Open Principal Officer (Standard) competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

But still no tears! It's probably months until the 2022 panel comes into play. Hence why the Higher Scale one is probably Q3 2022.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

can I ask people who came in from outside the civil service, did they get a contract. My crowd are a little vague - like one contract in public sector accounts for all public sector.

as always, very grateful for the advice. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 DublinJ1981

There is no contract as such for any civil servant. You contract is pretty much made up of legislation dedicated to setting down rules and regulations do us. Then there is a set of Public Expenditure circulars that are the nitty gritty of what we are entitled to and how we are managed within the civil service. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DublinJ1981

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Tr1ckieD1ckie

I was appointed in 2020 as a new entrant to the service and was issued a contract covering my initial year's employment on a probationary basis

yes and then once I had passed my probation this applied- no contract just an email confirming you are no longer on probation

I believe that panel 2.2 is nearly complete so hope yet for those on 2.3

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Wolverinex

Hi, I just got results in the new PO comp and didn’t place highly enough to get called to Stage 2 but I see from this thread that multiple batches were called in the 2019 comp. Would anyone be able to shed light on up to what number was called to Stage 2 from this competition?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LittleMy22

Interested to know too! I got my results too - up to 243 have been called to next stage. I’m a little below that so would be in any second batch called…

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭APparently

For those of you who did well in the Case Study/Presentation would you be willing to share any tips? Didn't make it that far in this competition but am high up in Stage 1 in the new 2022 comp and would like to know what is in store. Thx

I know that at least 650 were called eventually - it took almost 2 years to reach me 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks for reply. I got one in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭myk

How long can this panel run for? Now the 2022 final stage results are out I assume it will take a few weeks at least for PAS to start on the new panel and in the meantime the 2019 panel can be used for relevant vacancies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

The 2019 competition is dead. Replaced by the 2022 competition

Advertisement