Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questionable content by a moderator

Options
  • 06-04-2022 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the place for a complaint. I reported a post (which has a running conversation to go with it) but nothing seems to have been done with it.

In the Motors forum a Mod posted the following;

Nothing particularly wrong with that, except for the fact that it was clearly lining up for a string of posts engaging in racists and stereotyping. The Mod also engaged in this, I might add.

Wonderful stuff there. Not only did a Moderator not use their best judgement to stop other posters engaging in this behaviour, they actively encouraged it and took part themselves.

Personally I find this offensive and would really expect more from boards.ie.

Anyway, like I said I reported it and nothing seems to have been done. If this is the wrong place for this post please move it to wherever it needs to go.

Cheers,

C.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Hi @circadian

As per the forum charter, can you let us know if you have contacted the moderator in question before you started this thread? The moderator - in this case @Toyotafanboi - always gets a chance to respond to such comments before a CMod is brought in for review.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭circadian

Hi,

I hit the report button as is often suggested. If PMing directly is the the way forward here then I'll do so.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

You are free to return here if the issue cannot be resolved via PM. I will leave the thread open for the standard 14 days, by which time you will have hopefully agreed a resolution.

Hi Shield,

I PM'd the mod and while I didn't ask for an apology or anything the matter is, in my view, unresolved. The mod in question offered me to take it up with a CMod or Admin, so here we are. Hoping this is the correct place to further this discussion.

Mod: Please only comment on this thread if you are invited.

It looks like the only active CMod for this category at the moment is @unkel so he may now review your complaint and things can go from there.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Working on this in the last day or two. Please bear with me.

Any more on this?

I've been in discussion with the moderator, he has agreed to tidy it up. But he hasn't been online on boards for the guts of a week. It is the school holidays, I will give it a few more days.

Thanks, yeah I understand I'm juggling work and kids too! I just want to raise the point that our PM exchange was less than satisfactory and of similar language, I'm not sure if that's something you want to look into as well but I appreciate the effort in clearing up the posts in question.

PMs are, by definition, private. Only admins can look at PMs, and only when those PMs are reported. And only when these reported PMs contain abuse / threats will they take any action. It really should be a last resort to share PMs with third parties (without consent).

• Advertisement

Actually, I don't want to be that guy but I feel like I should be that guy. I understand that TFB has contriubuted massively to the Motoring forum and that they probably aren't around at the minute but I really do feel that merely removing the posts is a bit of a cop out, especially when the messages via PM were just as unsavoury. I agree that PM's are just that, private but if there's a means of escalating this I'd like to follow that route. A standard user would receive more than an order to clean up the posts and moderators of the community should be, at the very least, held to the same standard as everyone else. Especially when site rules were arguably broken;

"post any abusive, harmful, vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, indecent, profane, inappropriate, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable Material, except where the content is appropriate to the content of the forum and you have been granted specific permission to do so and subject to our guidelines on said content".

I'm not looking for anything in particular from all this other than for due process to be followed, and if the above resolution is the accepted norm on boards then so be it.

If you feel the PMs were abusive / threatening, by all means, report them. An admin will look into them. It's a separate issue. Hopefully I will get back to you on this issue - the thread in your OP.

That's cleaned up now. This thread can be closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement