Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I tried it but could not make it work. When I read it I get '1' which I assume means enabled but when I try to send '0' and read it again I still get '1'. The write does not seem to fail, maybe something chages it back or I'm doing something wrong.

modbus.write_holding_register_formatted(register_addr=43114, value=0)
    print(modbus.read_holding_registers(register_addr=43114, quantity=1))

SENT: a5 17 00 10 45 00 00 c7 d6 2a ef 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 06 a8 6a 00 00 89 b6 7c 15
    RECD: a5 16 00 10 15 00 6b c7 d6 2a ef 02 01 bd 6d b9 00 08 0b 00 00 f6 2f a4 61 01 06 a8 6a 00 00 89 b6 d7 15
    SENT: a5 17 00 10 45 00 00 c7 d6 2a ef 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 03 a8 6a 00 01 84 76 35 15
    RECD: a5 15 00 10 15 00 6c c7 d6 2a ef 02 01 bd 6d b9 00 09 0b 00 00 f6 2f a4 61 01 03 02 00 01 79 84 84 15
    [1]

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

Is it possible to interface to the BMS (Seplos)? To set its max charge rate vis script/HA/NR...

(I don't have my DIY battery yet, so not familiar with the possibilities)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Seplos cannot control charge rate this is done on inverter side. Seplos only has on/off switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Was waiting until I got a chance to look at 43114 following previous comments I know I read it and that returned 33 but I didn’t understand what to do then to enable it

Looking back at post that may have been 43110 that returned 33 and left me stumped

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Didn't bother replying until I could do a diagram on the desktop. No a harvi won't be any help. I'd need to fish the inverter CT down along the tails from the CU in the house to the meter box.

Meter Box
       ┌──────────────────────────┐
       │                          │
       │        MyEnergi          │
       │          CT              │
       │  ┌─────┐ ┌─┐             │
       │  │     ├─┼┼┼────┐        │
       │  │ D/N │ └─┘    │        │
       │  │     │    ┌───┴───┐    │
       │  └─┬───┘    │       │    │
       │    │        │Main CU│    │
       │    │        │       │    │
       │ ┌──┴┐       └─┬──┬──┘    │
       │ │   │         │  │       │   Inverter    ┌───────────────┐
       │ │60A│         │  │       │     CT        │               │
       │ │   │         │  │       │     ┌─┐       │ House (Sub)   │
       │ └─┬─┘         │  └───────┼─────┼┼┼───────┤ Consumer Unit │
       │   │           │          │     └─┘       │               │
       │   │           │          │               │               │
       │   │           │          │               └───────────────┘
       └───┴───────────┼──────────┘
                       │
                       │
                       │
                     ┌─┴─────┐
                     │ Zappi │
                     │       │
                     └───────┘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭buzz11

Has anyone installed a Shelly EM ?

I'm considering buying it but I'm wondering what will it give me over and above the Solis cloud and app?

I don't have any energy monitoring at the moment so that would be very useful -- the eddi/myenergi app does this to a limited extend but the shelly stuff is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I did.

It gives you way faster polling and you will see the import that the solis can't but even so it doesn't seem to give 100% accurate readings like your actual meter outside.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It is a real shame that ESBN don't allow access to the HAN port on smart meters. Realtime access to meter information would be an actual benefit of a smart meter for end users. In home displays are provided with UK smart meters, but no sign of anything similar here.

Next best thing in terms if accuracy is probably this, but it depends on how your meter's optical pulse treats export. My D/N seems to pulse away happily whether importing or exporting. 🙄

Yeah I have seen various pulse readers around including diy versions using esp boards when I was looking at trying to bring gas usage into HA but it's the digital type and no pulse, and I'm pretty sure the smart elec meter doesn't pulsate either.

Hopefully when I get the d/n meter it will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭irishchris

Have you had any joy with getting them to switch to the d/n meter?

Got them to agree to do it, now trying to get them to not charge me for it, a slow and painful battle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I'm thinking of getting the Shelly system as well, so I know how much I'm actually exporting/losing to the grid. Might be a stupid question, but how does it know that I'm exporting energy vs importing and using my PV to service demand?

I was wondering about using a second one at at different location, and was wondering if the info would work without a constant wifi connection, but I see it stores 365 days worth of data.

The values go into the - so you'll see -3000 when you're exporting 3000w otherwise they stay in the + when importing.

Something like this:

The EM can give you two readings from two CTs so I just put the second one on the EV charger cable to measure what I'm putting into that because why not. Maybe I'll put them on all circuits eventually 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭S'

I have a 6kW Solis hybrid inverter and the readings don't look accurate. I am polling the inverter every second over RS485.

Modbus registers:

Solar Generation - 33080

House Load - 33147

Power to Grid - 33131

Battery Power - 33150

Post edited by S' on

So have you just got the two CTs on your PV output and then your EV charger? Don't you need a CT to measure the usage of your house energy demand?

As my surplus goes to the grid, how do I know how much surplus is going to the grid, while I'm also using some of the PV energy on my house appliances?

I generated 9 kwhr yesterday, but i've no real way of knowing how much of that offset my usage, and how much just went back to the grid. If you get me.

Well technically I have 2 CTs on my mains feed, one for the PV and one is the shelly EM.

How do you mean you don't know what you used, surely in the app of your inverter you can see the breakdown?

If you use home assistant you can create two meter sensors for the shelly and when importing it increases the import sensor and when exporting the export one.

The shelly won't help you see the "usage" of your house because if PV/battery is providing power then the shelly would not see that because as far at it knows the grid is not being used.

You could get multiple EMs and put CTs on your sockets mcb, cooker, immersion, lights, etc and that will get you readings for those circuits.

My inverter just shows me how much is generated by my PV panels. It doesn't measure anything else.

I've used a fluke clamp meter on my fuse board, and it just reads the energy on the cable between the fuse board to the meter. It doesn't register which way the energy is flowing.

For example, if my PV is generating 1kw but my appliances are drawing 3kw, clamp meter will register 2kw (incoming). So I'll be paying for 2kwhr if running like this for an hour.

If my PV is generating 3kw, but appliances only using 1kw, clamp meter will still register 2kw (outgoing), but meter will stay on same reading, as PV is feeding back to the grid.

That doesn't sound right, pretty sure all inverters installed to SEAI spec must have a separate meter with a CT clamp that reads the grid and then you will have all these values.

Is this a diy job?

If you simply want to know which way the energy flows and how much energy is flowing then yes the shelly will give you that, - value when exporting and + value when importing

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Mine was seai grant, the meter for the grant just measures the power out of the inverter.

Mine doesn't have any CT measuring the grid. Only hybrid inverters need to monitor the grid.

I do have my own monitoring using cts on the grid, battery and solar.

• Advertisement

Nah, this system is from 2016. It was a new build so no SEAI grant available. A friend recently got a system specced for SEAI grant though, and it just came with a check meter for the fuse board. No ct clamp that feeds readings to the inverter. His meter runs in reverse when he feeds back to the grid though, which is the ideal situation.

I trust you when you say the Shelly will give me the information, I just want to know how it calculates it.

EDIT: Just found information online that says a CT clamp can detect direction of energy flow. So that answers that!

I didn't see the point of a check meter if the inverter gave an output reading.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Same here but grant rules are grant rules!

Shelly will give a reading by using a Current Transformer (CT) when that is clipped around a live wire, the power going through it will generate a small current in the CT. That then can be measured. If the Voltage is known then a exact power value can be obtained.

If its completely wireless (like the first OWL monitors) it only can guess the voltage( eg 230V) to calculate the power value.

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out when I read that some CT clamps can detect direction of current flow.

I used to have something similar to an owl years ago, which was great. It stopped working after a few years though.

I guess the Shelly reads the voltage from it's own power connection to get an accurate reading of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

I did a lot of research about the different power monitoring options, there is a number of options the TLDR is I went for the Emporia Smart Home Energy Monitor with 18 CT clamps, but everyone might pick a different options for different reasons that work best for them.

Emporia Smart Home Energy Monitor - this is what I ordered just the other day waiting on delivery, it has CT clamps for two main supply (only need one in IE) and 16 small 50amp ct clamps for each circuit, down side is the space needed and the number of wires, it connects to a cloud service for the data which i don't like but people have gotten ESPhome and home assistant to work with it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0Jv4nO9OWg) you can pull the data from the cloud to home assistant as well. I might move it to fully local at a later date.

I have it linked to my Home Assistant with the data in InfluxDB and Grafana for visualizing the data, it works home assistant Energy with the integration in the home assistant HACS

there is 3 options- main supply only, main and 8 CT clamps, main and 16 clamps

cost - €80-180

Shelly - I like Shelly stuff but the power monitor is a bit limited unless you buy a lot of them making the cost quite high and you then end up with a lot of them to fit in the box, it seems to be designed to just monitor the main incoming supply from what I have seen. (I know it can monitor any supply but it starts to cost a lot)

cost €50-500

Sense - again it just uses two CT clamps on the main supply (USA two for split supply, one in UK), they then use "AI" to identify what is using power, reviews are mixed on how well it works. issues with picking up things that stay powered all the time and things that might use different levels of power at different times. although it would need less space to setup

cost €300+

Home - Sense.com

ESPhome - very DIY and very cool but takes a lot more setup also to get 18 clamps like the Emporia it's expensive but it's total local and will give some more info i think at a faster poll rate if you want it.

cost - €80-500 depending on what you buy, shipping, import etc.

ESPhome website - https://esphome.io/index.html#

shop for power parts - https://circuitsetup.us/product-category/power-management/

Good list of options there! I think I'll go with the Shelly. It's basically just my in and out that I want to monitor. I've already got a good idea of how much energy my devices use. I've only got a two row board, after requesting a three row. So space is somewhat limited alright. Just about room for upgrade for a charger when I get around to buying an EV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Yeah I can recommend the ShellyEM, easy to install and set up (be careful though and completely isolate you distribution board when installing and even then treat everting is live...), integrated easy into Home Assistant. Yes it does record negative values for electricity going in the opposite direction so you can measure your PV export. The polling is live so you get almost instantaneous readings.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

I've only had a brief look at home assistant. Looks semi complicated for me, but need to spend more time researching it.

Hi guys,

I really need help.

I’m desperate to get 43110 Energy Storage Control Switch working.

I can set it to 33 or 35 but the switch doesn’t toggle.

“Time of use for Self use” screen I just want to toggle Optimal Income from stop to run. Is this 43110?

When I crawl up and change on the inverter I can read and see that it changes from 33 to 35 so assumed I’m looking at the correct place but just doing it wrong.

• Advertisement

It sounds like you are doing things right. What is it that you are hoping to achieve? Charge the batteries from grid at night? Have you got a charge period set up?

Can post up the code that you are using?

Advertisement