Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I would be a traditionalist, and i see history and tradition as being very important. Obviously what worked in the 40's 50's and 70's doesn't work in the modern game. There's been big changes in senior intercounty hurling since 2005, and we just haven't adapted to that changing landscape unfortunately. Periods of success and failure come and go in cycles.

Limerick for example went 45 years without winning an all Ireland, until they got their act together. For a lot of the years between 1973 and 2018, they were the most dysfunctional hurling county in Ireland. Credit where credits due though, they eventually got their act together and are now hurlings market leaders.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

What in gods name are you on about? A Cork school Midleton CBS did win the Harty Cup as recently as 2019. They beat another Cork school Christian Brothers College in that final. Christian Brothers College were runners up in the 2020 final as well. Midleton CBS were also runners up in the 2018 final.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

6 points down at ht. 10 v 16

Started well, fell 5 behind by the 25th, got 3 quick points but Limerick got 4 points just before ht.

Not playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭supernova5

given that both these teams had qualified, are Cork resting some players this evening from the team that played Clare?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭Rosita

What, in God's name I am on about is that between 1968 and 2003 Cork colleges won 22 Harty Cups, with six schools winning. 35 odd years, and almost two thirds of the time the competition was won by Cork schools. Since 2003 they have won twice and it was the same school. Extraordinary change.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Don't think so. Might be a couple missing but it might be the same for Limerick.

Came back to 4 but a fortuitous rebound off the post gave Limerick the goal they needed to keep 6 or 7 ahead. 10 left.

I'm not questioning the value of history and tradition. I'm questioning the claim that because of it Cork are judged by different standards. Simply not true. Nobody under 23 would have a clear memory of Cork winning an All Ireland. For most people under 45 they'd have been an occasional force. People will tend to be instructed by what they have experienced. Expectations of Cork has fallen dramatically.

Lost 1-19 v 1-25

I thought the grass could do with being cut, both sides had difficulty rising the ball.

Not a bad game, certainly a more direct approach to hurling being utilised by the u20's- thankfully.

Expectations of Cork have not fallen in Cork, i can assure you of that. All sports teams have their ups and downs. Periods of success and failure, comes and goes in cycles. Manchester United went from 1967 to 1993 without winning a league title. Then they dominated english football for 20 years from 1993 to 2013, and now they are having another barren period with regards to success. Success comes and goes, but that history and tradition never changes. It will always be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm guessing by your ramblings you're just looking for a stranger on the internet to have an argument with.

• Advertisement

I explicitly have said that the idea that Cork have a certain expectation is internal to Cork. That's actually my central point. If you had read my posts you'd have seen that. Not sure why you try to compare a privately owned and funded professional sporting organisation with a GAA county.

It would be interesting to have it explained why, in the face of all observable evidence (clubs constantly failing in Munster and seemingly miles behind, years of underage lack of success until the last couple of years, colleges' teams which were previously leading forces now but a memory) expectations have not fallen? Why are expectations the same as when the County was ticking all the boxes at colleges and underage in the late 60s/early 70s? Delusion? Blind faith? Or is there an actual logical reason?

(History and heritage are abstractions. You feel them and you value them and that's fine. But you cannot seriously forward them as an argument for expectations of Cork for 2022.)

Even kitsch auld guff about the Cork man with the "inferiority complex" only holds water when they are winning and seen to be successful. In reality the Cork players look fearful and lacking confidence. When you look at a club like Blackrock, traditionally a mainstay of Cork teams, and its current contribution to the Cork set-up you would wonder if Cork GAA has lost a foothold in the county that it'll never ever get back. Your blind belief in "cycles" of success might be tested in the years ahead.

Yeah, that'd be it. No way could anyone possibly hold a different point of view to you and not be just a troublemaker.

Cork did win a minor and u21 all Ireland double last year. Kerry footballers Dublin Footballers all have had barren periods. Tipperary hurlers had their barren period from 1971 to 1987 as well. Blackrock won a county title two years ago. We are a county of serious hurling heritage and tradition. At the moment we are down with that heritage and tradition, but we will bounce back with that heritage and tradition. Corks hurling heritage and tradition is something that will exist forever. We are the county of Christy Ring and Teddy McCarthy. We are Cork after all.

"We are Cork"? Not the most compelling argument I've ever heard but I suppose it's the best you have. And that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The Pussycat Dolls THREAD is that way========)

if you want to contribute to that.

Cork will definitely bounce back. They have too many clubs and players not to, imo. History and tradition helps keep those clubs going so it's definitely part of why Cork will eventually return (and imo, when ye do, that team will dominate all around it).

I see some parallels with Limerick rugby, Limerick hasn't produced a professional forward who held his place in an Irish squad in over a decade but the weight of numbers makes it inevitable some talent will survive the poor structures we have here... eventually....

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Lol

is this the same lad bigging up Cork with his ‘tradition’ nonsense for 2 weeks prior to the all ireland final!?

Irrelevant then and its irrelevant now.

Edit - seems that was speakerboxx and the golden miller talking about how corks ‘natural slill’ and all irelands won in the 70s would give them an advantage over limerick.

Post edited by carq on

Well we do have 30 all Irelands compared to Limericks 10. You can count i presume, so i think you should be able to get the message there. The expression, writing out cheques that you can't cash springs to mind. Limerick are a great team alright, but form is temporary and class is permanent. Limerick are by far the county with the most tradition though, outside of the sports three most historically successful powerhouses.

You're on the opposite side as literally every post on this page. It's definitely not you

• Advertisement

If the number of All Irelands was a significant factor this discussion wouldn't be taking place in the first place as Cork wouldn't be enduring this massive drought. You have been unable to directly address any point. I mention the lack of Blackrock players on the Cork panel and you tell me the won the County title a couple of years ago. (that'd be the answer to "Blackrock haven't won a County title in ages") I mention the utter collapse in Cork's colleges' record but you tell me that a Cork school won it a few years back. (that'd be the answer to "Cork schools haven't won a Harty in ages") You are countering points which have not been made.

And seriously "class is permanent".......really, that is scraping the barrel. You are just short of giving us a verse of "Salonika" while drinking a pint of Murphy's. Even if there was an agreed definition of "class" I would repeat my first point i.e. if that actually were true this discussion wouldn't be happening in the first place.

Post edited by Rosita on

Not literally every post if you read back. Others have called out nonsense too. But I will be on the opposite side because there are parallel arguments. I am pointing out the decline in Cork's record others are talking about history, heritage, class, all indefinable but all the more attractive when reality isn't going your way.

He keeps mentioning 30 All Irelands. 19 of those were won in the first 67 years of the hurling championship. It has taken 67 more years to win the next 11. That's two-thirds won the first half of the GAA's existence. Imagine if that pattern is maintained or weakens further? Maybe this trend of decline is more long-term that we realised. I'm beginning to see why people cling to history and heritage like a drowning man to a buoy.

That's the very point everyone here is making but you're ignoring. On the pitch, Cian Lynch doesn't care how many All Ireland Jack lynch won.

The journalists, twitter and board trolls are a different matter, Cork go through bleak periods, people ask what's wrong, structure's broken, first match on Sunday Game. Offaly, Wexford, Clare etc can go through similar spells, nobody bats an eyelid.

On the pitch all 15 players are equal at throw in.

Funny how the point you think I am ignoring is in fact my central point all the time. The "history and heritage" and "30 All Irelands" boast/argument is irrelevant as has been shown time and again in recent years. What Cork do in the here and now is what they will be judged by. They are now playing against players who have no memory of Cork as a force of particular strength. Yeah, they'll be aware that there's a spectacular history there but it won't impact their thinking or confidence. As you say, all 15 players are equal and there's no baggage.

And as for Offaly, Clare, and Wexford, it's always difficult to deal with a comment like thus. How do we quantify reaction to different counties' problems? If we can't do that how do we measure reaction? And "board trolls" are often just people who are saying what you don't like.

But maybe when these counties start making the same kind of claims e.g. "we are Offaly", "we are Wexford", or "we are Clare" and thinking it cuts any ice they might attract the same scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Seems a mass delusion that the successes of the long past and ‘corkness’ will solve the current issues.

Fact is the only way Cork will be close to an all ireland is if somebody knocks out limerick for them. Then they have a small chance. Limerick have their number and it is the worst possible match up for Cork.

Obviously all counties would be underdogs to Limerick but would fancy waterford, kilkenny, galway and tipp to beat limerick before cork do in the championship.

Begs the question - should cork stick to their own style hoping somebody else knocks out limerick or try and change everything to try and compete with them?

Not sure how you go from "we're in agreement" in the opening sentence to somehow disagreeing by the end of your post.

Keep fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 34,147 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cork are soft now. That is corks biggest problem.

We are seen as the sift touch. We have been on slide since 2009.

The state of club hurling in cork is abysmal, but its been like that since 90s.

• Advertisement

Ah now, that is an exaggeration in all fairness, regarding the club hurling

Advertisement