Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

We missed three awful point chances late on, starting with Jake Morris howler. Jake had a free man right in front of the goal.

Gleeson made a big difference early in the second half. Was obviously very gee'd up to show he should have started.

Dan McCormack made a hell of a difference, just don't see Alan Flynn making it as a midfielder. Jason Forde's worst performance in a long time. Bonner brought nothing.

Thought that our defence played well. I was really surprised to see Barry Heffernan being taken off. He had a very good first half, bit quieter in the second, would have thought that there were far worse than him on.

Was this Mark Kehoe's best game for the seniors? Noel McGrath was great.

Other than Dan McCormack I'd probably start the same 15 next week.

One issue with Brian Hogan's puck outs; when he pucks to the half backs the ball always bounces just before the receiver, males it harder to control, surely he could ping it into their hand at 40 - 50 yards? Ref was his normal self today, bonkers, how the pull on Seamus Kennedy registered no action was a complete mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Considering the quality of ball being delivered to the Waterford forwards, I thought our backs did really well . Thought Ronan could have been better for both goals, he seems to be only able to see the player with the ball and goes straight for him . As for the Seamus kennedy hit , even if the ref believed it was accidental, he should at least have spoken to the player. Could be worse, we were beaten because we were not good enough, Cork were destroyed because they think they have reinvented the game of hurling with their awful way of passing it around

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

It was the same to the corner backs it completely slows things down. According to the Waterford lads on the terrace today you are entitled to pull on a sliotar In the air and if you hurt someone by accident it's ok. But they were saying Noel McGrath though should have been sent off for striking. The performance was something you can take from today and Cork didn't look great so third is still up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Tipp did very well yesterday , even after half time when things went pear shaped , they made a come back

tipp had quigley, Morgan, quirke,kehoe and Bowe starting basically 5 new starters

Add in the fact heffernan and Flynn were anonymous

and also that Tipp had chances and Waterford threw the ball for the goal and Kiely was a straight red

clare game will be tough but if he could win that we have a free shot at Limerick and than cork at home which would be a final to see who gets out if the province

tipp could have won yesterday, given we were written off completely and Waterford were at home and a very good team that was a good performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

I thought the backs did well, even the few minutes that Seamus Kennedy was off with the blood injury I thought we missed his positional sense. (as I'm often critical of him I thought yesterday was one of his best games in Blue and Gold) I thought Barry Heffernan had a good first half, was surprised to see him being hooked.

Jason Forde was very quiet. Mark Kehoe was funny, on high ball he was well beaten and very passive but low ball or even awkward ball he had Prunty in the kind of bother you rarely see Prunty in.

I think the full back line could feel they got little cover from the half backs especially in the second half, Waterford seemed to open up more space to play into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Better than expected yesterday but it means nothing if we can't beat Clare next week.

But Waterford really only hurled for 15 minutes and that was enough to beat us. A half decent team would have beaten them yesterday - they were really bad. Obviously they got plenty of help from the referee, but inexperience definitely cost us.

That game though was pretty much a free hit - no pressure, no expectation and even in defeat there is some praise coming the way of the Tipp players.

It won't be like that next weekend. Clare are near to our level and the expectation/stakes/pressure will be completely different. As I said, if we don't see further progression from yesterday in that match next week, then our Championship will be over before May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Good performance - given the obstacle.

Team is moving in the right direction. Colm and his management team have been working hard and have obviously brought the players with them. I'll follow this team and support colm bonnar, enright, dunne, curran, and his management team anywhere, no problem. Class acts who are committed to Tipp.

One of major obstacles facing Tipp, is the life cycle of the management and player relationship is in its infancy, as is a lot of player's experience compared with most of the other teams. And a game plan will falter quicker in the championship heat of the third quarter, given that it's just not practiced and tested as much as other teams.

A lot of good signs. Hopefully Tipp can turn up next weekend and work hard and sneak a result. And hopefully be able to nick a result against Cork. It would be a great experience for this team and management to get as many games as possible going forward.

I thought Heffernan was unlucky to be taken off.

Dan has to start at midfield.

Clare have seen our hand but that's the way it is. |

Bonnar didn't have the legs, only got time against Antrim, for the whole of the second half.

And fair play to young Stakelum when he came in. Didn't shy back at all. Contributed.

Tommy Dunne's voice and presence was a loss on the line in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Performance exceeded expectations of a lot of people, even if the result didn't go our way.

Can't afford to start Flynn midfield again. Little went right for him, but we've known for a while midfield isn't his position. Surprised he was selected ahead of Cadell or McCormack. Not seen him play there yet but surely Ger Browne would be worth a shot too ahead of him there. McCormack made a big difference in shoring up the middle.

Did Bowe go off injured yesterday? That would be a blow. Thought he was going ok, getting stuck in to it. He also is one of our few players with pace.

Bowe was down a long time in that first half - he went up for a high ball - I'm not sure what the injury was. He was really struggling to run towards the end of the half.

• Advertisement

I think Bowe has a broken finger...

Is there anything to be said for bringing Heffernan into wing forward - he can get up and down the pitch, put his man under pressure, catch a puck out, take a point and break the tackle in a run?

Could bring in Robert Byrne or Ger Browne or Brian McGrath or Caddell at midfield - alongside Dan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

That's an interesting suggestion and worth considering. Though, if they keep bringing him further up the pitch he's going to end up lining out as the opposition goalie. 🤣

😂 Well, just let him tick the box of every position first!

Brendan Bugler trying to ram up the pressure on James Owens! Questioning his appointment for the game. Let him ref the game first!

Clare Echo pointing the spot light at Owens too:

James Owens appointed as referee for Clare vs Tipp - Clare Echo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Owens should never have been appointed to that match. Its a big slip up by whomever appoints the refs. Clare were never going to let this opportunity slip to ramp up the pressure on him. Owens is now going to over compensate for last years terrible blunder. Any 50/50 and I can see Clare getting it. If he is seen to favour Tipp then Clare will make sure he never gets another game again. He's an arrogant ref anyway and not great. Tipp are not going to benefit 1 iota from this appointment

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

How is it a slip up? He hasn't even refed the game yet?

I wouldn't describe being one of the first, in a major game, to ref a major new rule change as a terrible blunder.

Owens just managed the all-Ireland club final and has refed multiple all-Irelands - his stock couldn't be higher. In a time where there is a massive lack of refs because of pressure and abuse, this guy is actually good. The problem is not James Owens. It's people clinging onto old gripes to decisions, like they've never made a bad decision in work or life.

Three months... That would be some blow to TD. I'll have to wait and see what is reported that Dunne said. Three months for verbals... it must have been some statement by Dunne.

I've heard that that Dunne said something to the linesman (over Flynn being held and then penalized for over carrying) and got a yellow for that at half time and then said something to Murphy on the way out for the second half. That was two yellows. But obviously that was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Montys return

It was all to Murphy, he did get two yellows within 10 seconds of each other. He had a third go at him after the red came out so maybe he made matters even worse.

Jesus... Davy Fitz didn't get 3 months off the line for shouldering Jason Forde. Either Dunne went completely OTT or Murphy has overreacted.

edit: Actually according to twitter the ban is more wide reaching than just the sideline. I didn't realise this.

• Advertisement

That's category 5 allegation. Very serious. So the ref is saying Dunne physically assaulted him or tried to physically assault him? I saw him flash the red at Tommy but they looked a good bit away from each other. I didn't see anyone in any one's space. I'd be shocked if TD did that. I'm not saying TD didn't do that. But surely cameras would have picked that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Interesting to see if Tipp appeal, it's pretty serious what TD is being accused of.

To be honest I'd half forgotten TD had been cardrd until I read the article. As in, watching the match and chatting to people who were there about it, no one seemed to think it was anything more than TD unwisely criticising the ref and getting his marching orders. No one I spoke to seems to have seen/heard anything else. Not saying it didn't happen, just puzzled how something so serious could go basically unnoticed in a stadium full of people.

Well, cameras were at it. And, aren't the refs mic'd up? Things should be easy to clear up.

Tipp Board will have to take this on. Tipp management far too busy at the moment.

TD will be in the stand for Sunday as he has to wait for a hearing to appeal the three-month ban next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Youre wrong there. Tommy won't be let near the sideline Sunday. Apparently Murphy will not let this one go and was upset over the whole thing. I also agree that good refs are hard to come by. I wouldnt say James Owens is particularly good. He made that huge blunder last year and that's what it was. You can make all the excuses you want eith nee rules ect.

The standard of refs is poor overall at the moment. About 90% of people have said Owens should not have been appointed for Sunday. It smacks of arrogance by the GAA. It could have been handled much better. Other sports would have handled it better.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Wrong about what?

It wasn't a huge blunder. It's a huge blunder if you blow up a match five minutes early and there has to be a replay. Making a call on what you see is hardly a huge blunder.

James Owen is one of the best around. That's a fact. Gets a lot of finals.

90%? Do you make polls or something?

The main reason there are so few refs is because people hold grudges over decisions and lambast them every chance they get. Funny that?

The pool to pick from is getting very small.

Muprhy says there was minor physicality involved and abuse.

Tommy disagrees and has sought a hearing. No date on the hearing yet.

• Advertisement

Tipperary Senior Hurling team v Clare - Dan and John McG in - Flynn and Bowe (finger injury) out

Brian Hogan

Cathal Barrett

James Quigley

Craig Morgan

Dillon Quirke

Ronan Maher

Seamus Kennedy

Dan McCormack

Barry Heffernan

Jason Forde

Noel McGrath

Michael Breen