Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Back to 8-8, century from Ding.

Brilliant game.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Such drama

Have to fancy Wilson after that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah. Jayus just when I thought Ding finally showing steel under pressure. He implodes from nowhere on that pink.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

What is Wilson’s nickname? They said he battled as usual, Mark Davis is the battler from Hastings😂, I have forgotten Wilson’s nickname, it’s not been mentioned for 5 minutes, was hoping Wilson would get chinned, 2 weeks of that man is 2 weeks too many

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Wilson the Warrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,877 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Disappointed to see Ding go out. I was hoping that he'd have a bit of a run in this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same thoughts… likeable player to watch and person

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

You have to wonder whether Ding is a player that has peaked / fading with age like players used to, like Hendry or Davis. Or is it that he needs to find a way to develop and adapt to keep going in later years like Ronnie, Mark, etc did.

I personally think the problem is with his confidence at the later stages of a match. He always seems to be able to compete until the final few frames and then inevitably loses. So he clearly still has the skill on the table but just not able to close out matches.

I also think - in fairness to him - he has really invested in developing Chinese talent with his set up in Sheffield, and perhaps his personal focus is on growing that success / making a career of that in years post playing snooker.

Hard to know but I would love to see him back in the top 16 and winning again. Actually unsure where he will be after the WC, but he is 29th today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I feel for him. He’s a superb player, at his peak one of the all time greats. 12 ranking titles including 3 UKs, plus a Masters is nothing to be sniffed at. But I don’t think he has the fight anymore, he seems fragile under pressure

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Some were saying that Ding may be too comfortable now and just isn't that hungry anymore, maybe not putting in the work like he used to, he has plenty of money now, his own snooker club etc, could also be that he is just fading.

I think he actually has 14 ranking titles-3 Uk's with one Masters, he's been a great player no doubt and by a mile still the best so far to come from China and the other's have a lot to do to usurp him.

• Advertisement

25 places between Brecel and Saengkham in the rankings but Saengkham 89% pot success, four frames up needing three… playing aggressively and well…. Very well.

Luca’s head is gone, ffs, pockets the white off the break… petulant effort, spent no time lining up the break, up off the shot the moment he made contact..6 attempts at getting past the first round and never done it…. Needs to cop on.

Williams destroying Paige in Welsh match. Paige only potted EIGHT balls. Four frames played.

Similar to Lisowski I think. Out and out potter. With no other strong facets in his game. It is a shock that Noppon won I suppose. But it not that much of a shock I think.

I saw Ronnie was advising Lisowski and players like him to change their game and tighten up match play wise. Ronnie claimed he changed his own game from 1997 on. I thought it was later than that after Reardon helped him to be honest.

Noppon hasn't won yet 🤣 getting plenty of help from Brecel tho!

Williams just makes me laugh the way he plays. He is a snooker version of Fred Couples in golf. Languid not a bother, no fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Williams can't miss here, he's playing like it's an exhibition. He keeps this form up he will be a tough march for anyone. 6-0 and now sign of slowing down either...

Hendry was tipping Williams before the tournament, apparently. Interesting considering there are about 5/6 others in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

While Williams is playing great, I have to say he has had the easiest run so far out of everyone, Michael White and Jackson Page as his first two matches is dreamland stuff, be interesting to see when he comes up against the big guns.

But if he keeps this form up he'll be hard to stop no matter who he plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

There was no stoppon Noppon earlier. Sorry.

Hendry vicariously revelling in Williams brutal dominance of Page there was hilarious.

Fair point. I would say though if he wins with a session to spare. Could be crucial in letting him recharge a bit for the next round, and further if he gets that far.

I seem to remember it was a tactic Hendry used. No let up hammering a player.

Then he had mini rests during the championship.

A respectable fightback by Vafaei but missing dead simple blacks like that….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Williams was playing some fantastic stuff earlier. You’d feel that he hasn’t really been challenged yet, and it’ll be the next round before we see exactly what form he is in once the pressure comes on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

I thought Xintong had this one in the bag before a ball was potted? Maguire having none of the Xintong hype, 5-3 to the big man! Look at that determination…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Earlier today, Jackson Page walks out into the Crucible. Cue the music...

I see the bad moon a-rising

I see trouble on the way

I see earthquakes and lightning

I see bad times today

Mark Williams walks out to face him. Cue the music...

I see the bad moon a-rising

I see trouble on the way

I see earthquakes and lightning

I see bad times today

I'd say they had a giggle at that. It's like Liechtenstein playing England and God save the Queen is played twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Great day at the Crucible today.

Saw 6 centuries between the two games! Some unbelievable snooker played.

Mark Williams played the best I’ve ever seen a player play live. It was almost no miss snooker. Made it look so easy and nonchalant.

Maguire dug in hard and took his chances. Zhao is great to watch, reminds me a lot of Ding with his style of play. He was overly aggressive today though and made some poor shot choices that cost him. If he can organise that part of his game he could be the world champion China have been waiting for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

One of the best things about the world championship is when you are watching and someone (could be a member of family, a partner, housemate, whoever) who doesnt particularly like snooker asks, "when is it finishing" you get to respond "May"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,401 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ronnie looking good, 3-1 up on Allen and only 2 missed pots in the 4 frames, both when the frame was won.

Williams 10-1 up - if he can get to 13-3 or better in this session he gets the evening off.

I guess anyone with tickets for tonight's Williams/Page session wouldn't mind it ending now, as then the curtain would be up from the start for the second session of Ronnie/Allen. Worst case scenario would be Page delaying it to 13-7 or something without ever looking like winning.

Advertisement