Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭busunderer

Radio 1 Morning Ireland highlighting the plight of a Nigerian in Bucharest seeking to come to Ireland with the same entitlements bestowed upon Ukrainian citizens.

If there are children in the Ukrainian family, TUSLA will be involved and they could answer any questions. If it’s shared accommodation, Garda clearance should have been approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Some refugees have been housed locally here in North Donegal, fairly rural location.

Someone I know was speaking to one of them, and they are under the belief that they are only here temporarily, and will be moved to a city at some point in the future. They don't want to be in such a remote location.

suspect it will be a choice between a house in a rural location or a hotel room in a city one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I dont think the Ukranians will have an issue at all if they have to move somewhere else after 6 months, so I wouldnt let that worry you. These people have been through worse so far already and that will be small potatoes compared to what they have already been through.

So if you think you can handle asking them to leave (if you dont want to let them stay on), then thats all that should matter to you. Give them as little or as much time as you feel is right for you and your family. Just remember though that even loved ones become a pain if they stay with you too long, so there is going to be some stress in the house depending on yours and their personalities. Some people can manage that, others cant.

• Advertisement

Not really. They've simply decided to align themselves to what most of the population already decided. Vaccinated? Time to get on with your life.

It hasn't gone away, it will likely never go away, but there's no practical solution to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

The 'solution' is to insist that refugees from what are effectively NATO proxy wars are the responsibility of NATO countries.

We're part of Europe, and that means sharing in the problems that affect the continent. Refusing to help would isolate us, and that would have repercussions. I've no interest in the humanitarian angle.. since that's used too much to justify ridiculous decisions, but we have a real interest in the stability of Europe, and if we can contribute, then we should.

The solution is to drop all these expectations of providing middle class living conditions to Ukrainians. Prefabs can be set up in one or two days. Apartment or community buildings can be built within a few weeks. The difference is the quality involved, and the planning permissions or rules that need to be followed. I've seen 20 story apartment block complexes constructed in less than a month in China, and other parts of Asia. No real reason we can't do the same. Alternatively, the setting up of villages with cottage style houses can be done, which don't require much work to do, and with a little bit of effort and money could spring up quickly.

The point is the expectation that we provide the best possible answer to the problem rather than meeting necessity, and just getting on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

A Nigerian citizen whose parents live in Ireland and have Stamp 4, and his sister has Irish citizenship. Ireland says he is not eligible to avail of the visa waiver for those fleeing UA

Good. He has other means, and should return to his own country. Then apply for immigration to Ireland through the normal channels. It's not like he was living in Ukraine as an Ukrainian citizen. He's got a home back in Nigeria.

The taking in of Ukrainian refugees is for those in genuine need. He isn't.

Amazing that people think we should help people who don't need help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why would he be eligible for the visa waiver to Ireland?? Why is this even a story in Ireland. Nigerian man can't come to Ireland as he has no visa. There's millions of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Human decency and compassion is all the reason we need to allow him in. We should allow everyone in, as everyone has a right to a better life, and when I say everyone I mean all non natives. Natives need to shut up and deal with it, as I'm sick of them moaning about nonsense like housing and the cost of living, as those complaints are the complaints of the privileged.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I know someone who had Ukrainian residency but from Nigeria.

He was in the middle of renouncing his Nigerian citizenship and awaiting his Ukrainian passport.

He left Ukraine with his new passport and just had his residency documents.

You can't be a dual citizen from Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes but in addition to mortgage rates…

supply vs demand is going to and actually IS kicking prices skywards. That’s going to be exacerbated multifold now.

id imagine hotels where off peak can get money and full rooms will be pining for a situation where they can control their charges… can have a situation where guests will be wanting four course dinner, pints etc too.

and families can only maintain welcomes in their own home for so long before the self back patting gets old. Unable to cope ! No great surprises there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Why does the Nigerian need to come here? Is Bucharest not safe? Can they not relocate home to Nigeria?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The failure of pledges to materialise is looking like it's having a large impact on how this response is being organised. The uncertainty of whether camp beds will be needed now is largely down to not knowing how many people will make good on their promises. It would have been far far better had they not pledged at all. There are no Twitter likes or dopamine hits in that though.

The next issue to come will be the sports centres and community halls that will be required. Who will want to see these spaces given up for over a year minimum?

We will get to see just how cheap talk tends to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, totally serious.

But as I wasn't the person who spoke to the refugee, I can't vouch for it being 100% accurate.

But I can understand refugees wanting to be in areas with a lot of services for them. Why would you want to be in rural Donegal when you could be in Galway, Dublin, Cork etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, we’ll have people using community facilities for everything from childminding, exercise classes and so on getting told they will need to find new arrangements.

By GDP capita the Ukraine is and has been for some time the poorest country in Europe…

Cost of living is high here but with access to the jobs market, free housing…better renumeration…the numbers staying or wanting to return will be tens of thousands by my reckoning.

going to go from families not coping to an entire country and it’s services…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Junior. minister went to meet refugees coming through Rosslare. Was met with a very forward lady who told him she was in a dormitory style accommodation. She is tired of it now and wants her own hall door. She worked as an air traffic controller In Eukraine .She want to know when she can get a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Surely that can't be true?

Im sure the vast majority are happy for refuge and don't want preferential treatment to existing people in Ireland.

If she wants her own front door, she should have a look on daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Youd think most seeking immediate refuge and planning to return after the war would stay closer to Ukraine than Ireland.

That said, most of these people dont know how long theyll be here for so wont be willing to be put up in hotels or sports halls indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The failure lies also with the fact that the Red Cross was very slow to get in touch with people who pledged homes or rooms . People got fed up with no contact whatsoever and went to hotels and picked people up . And its still going on . I would be very tempted to do the same to be honest as waiting for the Red Cross is incredibly frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Slow? The war started 60 days ago, these things take time.

In any case, I refuse to believe that the vast majority that have backed out of their commitment have done so because they didn't get a Ukrainian fast enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭walkonby

What, people just rocked up to a hotel and went “free room in mine for Ukrainian refugees”?

There is a Facebook page connecting people . Those seeking rooms or homes post their needs and people connect with them offering what rooms they have . Or offering lifts or scooters for kids etc etc . Volunteers in hotels also post about a family needing a home , some with elderly parents or kids with special needs who struggle in large halls etc

All organised by volunteers

Are you actually joking ? Two months is extremely slow in humanitarian crisis . Poland opened its doors on day 1 and invited refugees in to their homes

In a humanitarian disaster you dont have two months to didder around you get it up and running asap !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/justice-minister-helen-mcentee-says-shes-now-rethinking-offering-ukrainian-refugee-a-room-in-her-home-41574198.html

Sums it up really doesn't it. Twitter likes are grand when you don't have to deal with the real world consequences. She thinks they'll be stuck at home all day, surely better than on a camp bed in Millstreet or the likes??

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

I do think a lot of the lastminute.com decisions to renege on accommodation offers comes from people who maybe have had a moment of clarity, and realise what they may be getting themselves into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭avfc1874

She got all the likes on twitter, they've been used up now so she doesn't want them,

Did she really think that they would be expecting her or the hubby to stay in all day and show them the sights

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement