Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The annual Teachers threaten to strike thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭briangriffin

The god Lord or whatever your having yourself gave you free will to choose what to do with your life, I didn't set my wages or my holidays I choose my career, you had the exact same choice. I'm happy with my choice your are whinging on the Internet because you chose wrong, its nothing short of begrudgery, there is no other word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Just to add the public sector as a whole is in need of a revamp. There are massive savings that could be made across the board. Health, transport etc... Some of these savings could actually be put to use adding services for children. The waiting lists for speech and language, OT, assessments are shocking. These are issues that should be front and centre when reporting on the teachers conferences but of course the media would rather focus on the pay element.

I do?

You put forward the hypothesis that criticism of teachers is due to repressed memories of conflict with a teacher during school. What do you base that on? Then you can tell us whether I sound exactly what you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

People would have more respect for those working in the public sector if the services provided were actually decent. They aren't though. I don't include the education system in this, it is ok, apart from the fact that it is almost entirely run by the church at primary level with no opt out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I'm happy with my career also. I don't begrudge you championing for higher wages. I envy the platform you have as teachers to effect that wish.

I don't agree you deserve it though. It's being funded by the tax payer so I'm a stakeholder and therefore entitled to an opinion.

I think the childish nature of most supposed teachers in this thread reflects badly on your profession.

Post edited by PokeHerKing on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

RTE had a bit of a fluff piece on the news the other day, using example of a single guy teaching in Dublin.

He said he was on 48k, but the first thing mentioned in the news report was that he couldn't afford a mortgage.

Well, duh. Of course you can't afford a mortgage, you are a single person who wants to live in Dublin. A lot of couples with both parties earning can't afford mortgages either. If you think you are going to be able to buy a Dublin house on one income, you ain't too bright pal.

Move outside of Dublin and you might be able to live your dream.

Totally agree. But it's easier to talk about pay and holidays teachers get. If there was the same outcry about the lack of services (children and adults) there might be some sort of improvement. Teachers holidays have been the same for years. It's not a secret. The payscales are available for all to see.

Both myself and my husband would struggle to afford a mortgage in Dublin. To be honest people giving those interviews are doing themselves no favours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭fliball123

Yeah and then you tried to change the narrative. Look at this point we are arguing semantics. I used private sector companies as the public sector employees are pointing at them and looking at some (not much by the way) pay rises going on and are saying I want some of that. But the fact is the 2 sectors are in completely different positions when it comes to how they are financed and the burden left on the tax payer if pay rises go on in either sector. In fact if the private sector get a pay rise it is actually a net gain for the public expenditure coffers the same cannot be said for public sector pay rises. The public sector get their increments no matter what shape our finances are in and they have job security and guaranteed pensions, they are also getting pay rises over last (might be the last 2 years) year, this year and next year. (I could be wrong on this) and they now want more. We simply cant afford it and there are areas that need dedicated spend which is much more pressing.

There is outcry over the services provided, particular the health care system. It is no wonder doctors don't want to work there, the conditions are awful. There is a lot spent on the health system, so I can only assume it is badly managed, probably too many layers of administrative management. We know that the IT systems in the health service are prehistoric as well. I have sometimes wondered if the issues would all be resolved if those working in the PS only had access to the public system, a kind of "eat your own cooking".

Yet this is the crux of the issue any increase in wage for the public sector means a cut in spend in other areas for public expenditure, an increase in borrowing so that our kids and grand kids have to pay back or an increase in tax. So its moaning because the penny has dropped that by giving the 400k+ preferential treatment with tax payer monies means that this pay rise is hitting everyone one else disproportionately.

• Advertisement

I don't think so. If the public sector get a pay rise and the current housing issue is still on going I can see there being absolute anarchy on the streets. It will not play well with the general public. The sector which includes politicians getting a pay rise while the politicians are saying we cant do anything about housing and people cannot afford housing as the state stopped building for the poorer in society decades ago. This issue needs to be dealt with and I reckon there will be an election called a lot sooner if a sector which is hugely cushioned by the different elements that go on throughout the world and throughout this country get prioritized again before an issue that is generation defining. Lets see how this goes I will go get the popcorn.

Once again with your stupid little dig at the start is childish its what your ilk do when you have no real come back to the content being stated is fact.

There isn't enough of an outcry about it. I'm specifically talking about services for children, not the health service across the board. I work with these kids day in and day out. Two years waiting for someone to get access to OT or speech and Language is ridiculous. Early intervention is best but the time frames here are hindering the development of these kids. Even when they get it, it's a block of 6 weeks. For a lot of kids this is simply not enough.

Parents with autistic children have to fight for every service their child needs. There are not enough school places. There have been some improvements in the primary sector but what happens to these children when they need to move to secondary.

These are the issues that need to be addressed. Totally agree that alot of the people in charge of these services will never have to use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭dubrov

I always found it strange that teacher's salaries are the same all over the country.

A couple on the average teacher salary in Dublin would struggle to get a decent house.

In some parts of the country that same couple would live like royalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Just found out my kids school is closed the Tuesday after may bank holiday. Jesus it's like a holiday camp.

There is lots of outcry about this its just not a priority to the powers that be and sure I have heard 4/5 parents on radio stations like Newstalk stating the absolutely horror show that has been trying to get your kid through the pandemic if they have any type of issue with them being on the spectrum. Yet there is no traction on this issue country wide as it just doesn't suit the current government narrative. If you have an autistic kid and from experience of my brother during the pandemic he could not even get his kid assessed no one in the HSE or enable Ireland was available - he couldn't afford to go private and now with everything open his kid is still getting very infrequent visits from the HSE every 6 months. He had one visit from enable Ireland through out the pandemic and now he is apparently too old for Enable Ireland and he has to look to the HSE and his progress has been hindered. His boy is now going on 5 - there is no school place around Dublin for him and he is actually thinking of moving to Kerry as that is the only space he can see available for his boy in a school that can deal the issues his son faces. Its an absolute farce that public sector pay rises are being prioritized over this. Shame on the government. Like I say there is a queue of areas needing money from the public purse before any pay rise goes on in the public sector.

There should be an allowance (some incentives) to work in Dublin. If you work in London you are paid more as you obviously have higher living costs. They are struggling to fill jobs in and around Dublin due to this. I've seen jobs advertised on Twitter in some areas.

Teachers see the problems that are out there. The increase in the level of educational need in the children in the last few years is shocking. To be honest the union should be more focused on this.

I fully hear you. You are right. It doesn't suit the government narrative. I have zero respect for either of the ministers who deal with this. Both are totally delusional. They actually madden me when I hear them being interviewed.

The services pretty much closed down during the pandemic. I remember back in September 2020 we had a visit from a therapist of some description. We have 2 special classes attached to the school. They came in in protective clothing and could only stay for 5 minutes. Due to contamination issues. In Jan we had a psychologist visit. The list of demands was totally OTT. But it's teachers who are at fault.

Families who can't afford to go private are at the mercy of the HSE and we all know the problems there. I feel for your brother and his son. How is it acceptable in 2022 that they have to consider moving across country to get a school place for their child.

Services provided by the state are generally provided in a way that suits the employees rather than the people who use the service.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about your situation but people need to see whats happening in the country and the public sector cannot expect pay rises above much needed services and housing. We already have one of the most progressive income tax systems in the world , where those not earning much pay very little and in and around the average industrial wage we pay over half our earnings back on tax. I cannot see them being able to take more from that system so what do the government do?

I see 3 options

Option 1: Borrow more - meaning us, our kids and grand kids will be paying back our debt at a much higher price due to the soon to come increases in interest rates. How much more can we realistically borrow.

Option 2: Tax more - Where and how - income tax is already competing with welfare in the country and those on the higher wage couldn't be arsed working more hours due to the highly punitive tax rates. We also have a housing issue hampering the migration inwards of workers. We cant house them.

Option 3: Cut spending - This cant be done already we need 10s of billions for areas like housing and other public services that have been mismanaged and left to wither and of course we will have union after union threatening strikes if we don't pay up for their payrises. Its disgusting.

I reckon it will be option 1 but this time next year we will be hit hard as interest rates are expected to go up by about 2% from the ECB that will mean more being paid out on interest as time moves on and as interest rates move up so like I say the can that has been kicked down the road since the early naughties is coming to an end and the bill on interest on our debts accrued will have to be paid. Our fiscal space (as auld Paschal calls it) will in the very near future will turn from a positive to a negative and option 2 and 3 from the above will have to be selected. If the party in power at this point in time decide to try and kick the can again I can see the IMF coming back into town.

Well I agree with most of what you say, but the person on the average wage is paying half of their income AFTER €36800, in tax. Overall, compared to other European countries someone on 40k or so is still paying relatively little. Someone on 20k will pay €1378 in total deductions, in Germany you would be paying over 5k in deductions. It is really on higher incomes that we pay high rates of tax here. The 52% rate kicks in at 70k I think.

Sorry but we pay 40% on income on all money earned over 35300 a year then we have prsi at 4% on this yearly salary and then USC at 7% this equals 51% on anything earned above 35300. It does go up further with higher earners which I agree with you on that score but we are paying out over half of our earnings back on income taxes at a very low threshold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

Those are perfectly acceptable salaries for what is a part time job. Teachers don't work full time in the sense that other workers do. The salary has to be high enough to be attractive rather than reflecting the actual hours worked, if it did it would be a hell of a lot less. Teaching is a trade off between the potential to earn more in a full time job versus the lifestyle that teaching allows for re. shorter days than many other workers and the significant amount of time off. I know quite a few teachers and they all see it like this (although they are all 'older' teachers). In fact one of my mates gave up a career as a consultant civil engineer to teach, less money but a better lifestyle.

Education has the highest average hourly pay according to the CSO:

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/elcq/earningsandlabourcostsq32021finalq42021preliminaryestimates/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Are you really that naïve? Who do you think ultimately pays for private sector increases? Consumers of course, one way or other.

Now you can kid yourself about consumers having 'choice', but there's no effective choice for banks, for phone companies, for TV networks and for many other goods and services. At the end of the day, the consumer pays, one way or other.

Schools have the same number of days in their calendar each year. If they are closing for a day in May, they will have done the extra day earlier in the year.

Sounds like you've swallowed the Newstalk kool-aid there, might be time to move the dial.

But hilarious again that you're taking every opportunity to pull the rug out from under teachers with one hand, and then wondering why there are no classes available for your nephew on the other hand. See if you can work out the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You'll not be happy to hear it, but schools have to do X amount of days per year. I don't think there is much leeway for movement on the no. of days involved.

So if your kids school is closed on that day, they probably were open another day when other schools were closed.

Once again with the private sector the consumer has a multiple of options and of course the option not to use/buy a private sector service or product, we have no choice but to pay for and use public services as it is taken out of our wages before we even get paid and still pay for it even if we never use it.

For banks - you no longer need to use them, you can use bitcoin, revolute and other non banking affiliated ways of transferring money. Phone you can chop and change and get deals (bonkers.ie is good for this) that will reduce the amount you pay on a yearly basis. Also with whatsapp you can cut down on calling and texting for free all over the globe. TV networks you can choose from sky, netflix, disney, youtube to name but a few offerings that is available and of course you have the choice not to use any of the above if you don't feel they are value for money.

Its not just Newstalk I have said I have a brother who is going through the mill at the moment with an autistic son and its a fact that teachers wages are being prioritized over these essential services There are not enough schools built in order to accommodate the needs of kids with autism this is a fact that is completely ignored by you and the government that is the connection but you fail to acknowledge. But don't let that fact get in the way of the l'oriel attitude of unions who think the tax payer is a whore designed to work for their wages and the more we pay the worse the service becomes. The tail is very much wagging the dog in this country.

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

There should be performance management in teaching and other civil service roles like the private sector.

Some teachers deserve to earn 73,000 but theres others who are dreadful teachers and shouldnt progress to 73,000 like the good teachers.

Yeap there would be some merit to this as the current metric rewards for length of service no matter how good , bad or ugly a public servant is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Summer2020

"Absolute anarchy on the streets". Hyperbole much?. This is Ireland not France. But you carry on with your rants. Meanwhile in the real world the grown ups will meet soon and agree a new public sector pay deal.

Advertisement