Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leeds United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

The Marsch comments dont bother me tbh.

Bielsa was a great manager, but even here it was mentioned loads of times that the training must be affecting them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Harrison walked himself into in MoTD, players are enjoying playing again…..err they did before as well…….Give back that shovel when you’re finished, Jack😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

People hurt at Marsch comments are displaying the over affection for Bielsa that is bizarre. They’re unwilling to consider any negatives to his style at all and treat any comment as being a personal blow to themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

You're right, and I think Marsch is correct but there's a world of difference between us saying it here and him communicating it to every diehard MB fan on the planet. He really doesn't need to be setting up a Marsch v Bielsa debate, instead just let the guys do the job on the pitch. And anyway it seems to me that most people are fans of both?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Burnley press the panic button and sack Dyche. Big Sam? Bring in Bielsa, win last 8 games and put us down? Nurse, bring me my tablets.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Lol you know what, I would be so impressed with that that I probably couldn't be mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭championc

Dyche is the man you'd want if they went down to get them back up again

Its a very strange decision. Especially as they lost their top striker in the transfer window. I can see Burnley in a death dive down the divisions once players start abandoning ship.

They are owned by Yanks now too so they will want to try something. Worked for us and Everton (sorta) so gonna try similar

Leveraged buy out brought them from £40M in the bank to £90M in debt. Lots of the players are at the end of contract too. Dyche signed a new 4 year contract last September, so they'll have to pay that off. Freefall here they come......

• Advertisement

I didn’t think it was possible to get worse than the star or the s*n……..

I'm certain that international players with major footballing countries are keen on moving to a club that have lost their last four, will certainly finish in the lower half of the PL and are possibly going to be bypassed by Leeds. Richard Dunne eh, the new Agbonlahor?

There’s obviously talk of Kalvin Phillips going there and that’d be a great signing,” said Dunne, as per LeedsLive. “You look at Raphinha and Rodrigo, they’d be good to bring in.”

Thats the actual quote.

Burnley one up away to West Ham - and missed a penalty. C'Mon the Hammers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

West Ham got a goal anyway, so Burnley now 8 behind with only 1 game in hand

Daft really, the effect the man had on this club. Raging I'll never get to see his side play live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Most of the squad is bog Championship standard. Bielsa recognised that and worked them like dogs in an effort to compensate for their lack of ability. It worked. The injury crisis this season is random and can occur anywhere regardless of training methods. It did not occur over the previous three seasons. That's notable.

It's all deluded. For starters Kalvin, if leaving, isn't going to a lower-half PL club currently one place above us in the table having lost their last four games..

Very accurate. Which is why half of our first-team are being chased by the richest and most prestigious clubs in Europe. 😁

• Advertisement

How does everyone see our next couple of games? I'd be happy with a draw away to Palace but fancy us to beat Man City. And before labelling me as deluded look at the run-in to that.

Between the Watford and Man City games we'll have had one match (Palace) while City will have had six (including two against Liverpool and one each against Real & Atlético). Despite their squad that's a hell of a lot of travelling, game time and pressure.

We'll be close to choosing a full team, playing at home against a team who are losing their discipline and fearful of having the title taken from them after giving up a fifteen point lead. We'll also want revenge for the 7-0 drubbing, our fans will hugely help and though the pressure isn't off us there is far more on City.

Over-optimistic? Maybe, but I see us getting more points from that game than at Selhurst Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Derby County relegated to Division 1.

That nasty play off semi final against Leeds doesn't seem like that long ago, but it must seem like a different world to Derby now.

Pity it wasn't Fat Frank who took them down, would have been the icing on the cake.

Meslier by PSG. Man Utd, Barcelona and others.

Bamford by Spurs.

Harrison by Spurs.

Summerville by Rangers and Hamburg.

Koch by Dortmund.

Rodrigo by Barcelona.

Etc, etc.........

Honestly, I think you need to give the crack pipe a rest for a while; Richest and most prestigious? Spurs, Hamburg and Rangers? Barca prestigious, but without the proverbial pot to p*ss in😀 They have been linked with just about every player that might have even dreamt of moving club.

Spurs were CL finalists in 2019 and invited into the European Super League. Prestigious yes. Money yes.

Hamburg are former European champions, a pleasure we've never had. Prestigious yes. Cash no.

When Barca need cash or players they'll get them. They've just agreed a €287m deal with Spotify for starters. And Prestige, yep they have it.

Add in Real, Man City, Liverpool, Bayern, Man Utd, PSG, Chelsea, Dortmund, Newcastle and others chasing Leeds players. I reckon richest and most prestigious covers that lot. It should make you proud rather than narked that such teams want our players, and doubly so that we're in a position to resist.

Not narked in the least. I just wonder at someone calling Spurs rich when they are up to their BoLL!X in debt. Typical Spurs, demand €140M for Kane and offer €10M for Bamford. Hamburg won the EC over 40 years ago. Villa won it too, but you don't think they are very prestigious.

Barca Spotify deal won't even put a dent in the €1.2Bn they owe. Newcastle another one being linked with every player living. When someone starts hoiking in bloody great transfer offers I'll take them seriously, not derisory €27M or €30M for our best players.

Don't forget we were both "rich" and prestigious just before we imploded 20 years ago. EC semi finalists and finalists.

Reckon most talk is generated by the players' agents planting seeds in the media, to strongarm clubs into increasing wage levels with renewals of contracts

Yep, I think Villa are a prestigious club with European and English titles behind them. An underachieving major club, as we are. They're the 21st biggest club on the planet according to Deloittes. Spurs are 10th.

Barca can rely on Catalan federal support and further sponsorship if they seek it. That Spotify deal is a quarter of what they owe so very much a dent in the debt. They're also about to agree a deal for €300m in TV money and possibly about to sell half of Barca Studios for €350m. Their assets ensure their survival and they'll do all this to sign Haaland if he'll come.

Leeds are still prestigious by virtue of fans and history. Don't doubt that. And getting ever richer. 23rd on the Deloittes list and rising, top 15 within 3/4 years.

The offers are coming. We've turned down several thus far including £55m for Kalvin from WHU. As before, please don't underestimate the value of our players. Nor the increasing worth of the club.

• Advertisement

I agree, most is rubbish but the interest in Phillips, Meslier and Raphinha is undeniable. I'm happy for us to shell out on big contracts for them.

Saints win tonight, Liverpool & Wolves win Sunday.

Would leave us 8 clear of Burnley with a game in hand and 4 clear of everton with level games.

Then we play Palace who hopefully are on the beach. Of our 6 games left, only City, Chelsea & Arsenal have anything to play for. We can get points from the other 3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think most people (me included) are of the impression that Burnley made a massive mistake in sacking Dyche. It will be interesting to see how they go tonight but anything less than 3 points would more or less seal their fate imho. Get something from Palace and as you say any points from those 3 games and we should be fine. Hopefully we don't leave it to the last game!

3 points against Palace and the boys can play with a lot more freedom and less worry. I could then see us doing Pool a favour when we meet Citeh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Looks an insane move. At least we had Marsch ready to step in immediately. They're looking at their centre back to help out coaching. Seems to be an odd group that got ownership of them. Bought them out using debt like the ManU crowd and now the club is saddled with a lot of debt that it won't be able to pay as a Championship club. Don't see a good future for them and Dyche would have been their main hope of bouncing back.

Saw Fulham are back up. Wonder what the odds are of them being relegated and Norwich gaining promotion!

Why are people writing off the Chelsea, Arsenal and City games? Two of those are at home and two of the clubs (Chelsea, Arsenal) have been very erratic this season. We're in our best form for 12 months, we've almost got the entire first-team available and are facing clubs that are playing far more games than us. None will be easy but there's no way we're getting zero points from those three games and I expect us to surprise a couple of those teams. I reckon 4 points from the above and 6 from the other three games leaving us on 43 points. I have no fear of relegation at all and expect us to move up a few places. Brentford, Palace & Brighton all above us, be nice to beat and pass out a couple of them.

• Advertisement

Agreed. I think we'll be really up for that - revenge for the 7-0, less pressure, almost a full-squad and they'll have played six games in the same period that we played one v Palace. Something has to give with Citeh and I expect us to give them a battle at the very least.

We’re still very much in a relegation scrap and far from safe. Southampton doing us no favours.

For sure. I don’t see us getting a lot from the last games. We’ll see how long post Dyche bounce lasts. Hopefully Everton get hammered at the weekend.

The four teams below us are all likely to lose this weekend. Whether we take advantage is hard to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Reiterating what I said a few weeks ago. Despite the gap between us and Burnley, their fixtures are far better than ours. We’re in real trouble here lads. Fellas going on about us getting something from Citeh, Chelsea or Arsenal are,in my humble opinion,and I really hope I’m wrong, just delusional. Steeped against Norwich and Wolves, really poor against Southampton and Watford and we’re suddenly picking up points against title and top four merchants.

Think Burnley will catch us so only hope is Everton continuing to be rubbish and failing to close the gap.

Where Leeds United are concerned I’m firmly in the what can go wrong, will go wrong camp but still looking forward to Selhurst Monday night.

ALAW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Yes Jimmy, agree I just don't see any basis for thinking we can get something from City or Chelsea other than blind optimism and hope that Phillips and Cooper can make such a big difference. Our form certainly doesn't warrant such optimism.

It will get tight but a win on Monday would definitely ease tension. With the right attitude and fight we should be able to go there and win.

They are a vey good team to be fair. Guehl is solid and their front four of Gallagher, Zaha, Olise and Edouard would give anyone problems. And thats before you consider Eze (still disgusted we didnt get him when we were promoted). Best defence in the bottom half as well. I'm hoping they already have the flip flops on

I really wish I had your optimism Seathrun66 !

I'm not that hopeful about Palace, hoping that we're more rested and have a full first-team (bar Paddy) rearing to go and grab a point of three.

I do however expect Norwich, Watford, Burnley and Everton to lose to form teams Newcastle, Man City, Wolves and Liverpool. Surely not over-optimistic to expect that? Maybe all won't lose but I don't think any of them will win. Then it's five to play and they've not made any ground on us.

In terms of optimism are people so bleak that they don't see us getting three points from eighteen? Really? I think circa ten from the last six games and us to finish on 42-44 points. We're fitter than most (all?) teams, we're nearly back to a full squad, have great home support and have taken ten points from the last twelve. We still have a Marsch bouce and don't underestimate how significant the presence of Kalvin on the pitch is. Each game is tough but we're playing some teams who have already notched up 55-60 games this season. We've played exactly 35 between league and cups. We're fresher, as we were last season. We will finish well.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Forshaw gone for the season, training injury.

I think we will need more than three points lads.

You're probably right. Five would guarantee safety.

And are people still saying that an in-form team like Leeds can't manage 5 points from 18 whereas an off-form team like Burnley can manage 10 from the same?

Over the last 6 games we have gotten 10 points. Burnley have 7. Hardly out of form.

Our fixtures are Palace, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Brighton, Brentford.

Burnley have Wolves, Watford, Villa, Spurs, Villa, Newcastle.

We have 3 of the top 4.

They have 1 of the top 4 and 4 from the bottom half.

I think we'll be OK but it's not some crazy leap to think Burnley could do it either.

Everton and Burnley both have Watford to play, that's near a guarantee of 3 points imo.

You can't in one breath say that we will get something Chelsea, Arsenal and City but then in the other say the teams around us will lose to teams like Newcastle? You can be optimistic, fair enough. But a dose of realism is needed too

Over the last four games we've got 10 points. That's form. Only Liverpool match that. Nobody beats it.

In that period - Everton 4, Burnley 7, Watford 3, Norwich 4. We are in significantly better form.

In terms of Watford there are no guarantees on 3 points as Southampton and Villa found out recently.

And I applied clear logic to our fixtures. The top three teams we are playing have each had circa 20 more games than us this season. We've also just had a fortnight's rest and City will have played six games in the period when we've only played once against Palace. Their superior squad is more battle weary and pressurised than ours which has several players returning. I didn't say we'd beat all three but the idea of us getting nothing from those three games is absurd I think. We're fresher, fitter and at home for two of them. I predicted 4 points from the 9 and 6 from the other 3 games. I expect us to beat two from Palace, Brentford and Brighton and I think we'll finish with between 42 and 44 points and if I had to say a number I'd say 43. Your predicted end total?

And is it really mad to predict that a rejuvenated Newcastle will beat both Norwich and Burnley? Why so?

If I'm way off then I'll hold my hands up but there are many things in our favour right now so don't write them all off.

All teams playing weekly Cup Finals. Anything can happen ..... And WILL

• Advertisement
Advertisement