Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interdepartmental HEO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Skweefie

In the familiarisation booklet it mentions that this is the 'initial selection stage', this implies to me that the applications weren't shortlisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 simo999

Can anyone recommend any pre tests website? I bought them for the EO and they came in useful :) my brain isn’t cut out for this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sennie

I think you are right. They did this last year too if i remember correctly. Do up an application form and then the tests although they gave about 3 weeks notice for the tests last year. I need to practice those and as much time as possible. Less than 2 weeks is tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,366 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tests out since this afternoon. Think I might try give it a dart tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 farmboy1

How was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 larrybarry1979

Hi has anyone taken the tests yet? Any feedback?many thanks

Didnt get to do them yet. A friend of mine did them and he was not over confident of his performance....

foreboding...

I'm sure they are grand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 clairevoyant

My sister did hers yesterday - she said there is a huge amount of numerical and that the verbal reasoning is done in tabular form with each tab having a passage (hope that makes sense)! She said that she only got 9 of the numerical ones done so she thinks she’s screwed - she’s not overly happy with the verbal either - she seemed to think that for people who have done a few of these tests before they should be able to do extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lizglennon

I just completed them. There is too many to get through. I found the numerical easier than the verbal its quite tricky. I'm just glad to have them over but not very confident. Good luck to everyone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 clairevoyant

indeed the best of luck to ye all too - i might attempt to try it tomorrow 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

I usually score really well in the first stage testing and in last years heo (my first time to apply) I was in top 10 for my two counties but messed up the shortlisting (still not 100% over it!) anyway, for anyone who has done them before this is a different testing set up to last year. It’s all tabs so you have to search for the info before you can answer if that makes sense. I found the numerical tough even though that’s usually what I score highest in. Only answered 18/37 and 25/49 of the verbal. Not feeling super delighted or confident after them but anyway…. Good luck to everyone… what will be will be and all that jazz!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Just completed the tests, I found the numerical one tricky! I answered 17 but not too sure on some of the answers. The verbal was easier than some other tests I have done so happy with that :) best of luck to everyone taking part

• Registered Users Posts: 30 liverbird1

Is a calculator required for numerical?

Is a calculator required?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭itsallabit

Have to hand anyway some calculations required not a lot but still would recommend having one.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭boccers

Anyone ever experienced anything like this doing these tests?

I just did the numerical reasoning test and at the start clicked the button to allow them to use my camera and microphone. When the page for taking photo came up it was blank. I was planning on using my laptop (which was closed) connected to a monitor with a USB camera attached. I figured it wasn't detecting the USB camera and there was nowhere to check so I opened the laptop and used the integrated webcam to take the photo. I then proceeded to complete the practice questions and then moved to the actual test. I clicked the first answer and moved to the second question and got a warning box saying microphone not detected. A bit of panic set in then but I could see at the bottom of my screen that the mic was on and had tested it on the windows settings beforehand. Permission was allowed for everything so as the timer was still going I cracked on but this error came up throughout at random times. I probably got to question 28 or 29 in the alloted time but was quite flustered by this. I am usually very good at the numerical ones and found this one fine outside of the panic at the mic situation but now I'm worried this will disqualify me and have emailed them before I attempt the verbal one.

Happened to me doing mine. Got one notification mic not detected but I think I was silently reading the question and it may have triggered something.

I just finished mine and got that mic not detected message too? I just ploughed on.

• Advertisement

Might be a very sensitive system not worrying about it. If they view the recording they can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Acquiescence

I had the same issue with the microphone. The dialogue box must have popped up 15+ times.

Emailed tech support at aon who were less than concerned.

Switched laptops for the verbal but I was so thrown by the numerical issues that I may as well not have bothered continuing.

*Works well under pressure*

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bleaks

Is a calculator necessary?! Who buys/uses calculators these days. Surely it's okay to use a phone for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yossarian_Lives

While I didn't think I did well, it was far easier than I thought it was going to be. I was preparing to do calculations for the past few weeks. which I didn't need to do really any complex ones I think that through me off.

It really wasn't much more difficult than the 2018 EO comp ones IMO. Best of luck lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Abbotsford5

Just completed. Time is issue got high teens in numerical and twenties for verbal. Not confident at all. Remember negative marking could be applied for wrong answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Yossarian_Lives

They don't normally tell you about negative marking but often apply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Purpletoes

The do use it. It’s in their document on their website

‘Points are usually added for each correct answer and usually deducted for each incorrect answer. At the end of the test points are calculated to give you a final score.’

Available here on page 14: https://assessment.aon.com/aon.assessment/media/files/factsheets/All-You-Need-to-Know_Practice.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Abbotsford5

Yes it states on pg8 of the Pre-Test Information Booklet “the number of items attempted as well as the accuracy of responses is factored into the final score. This means that points may be deducted for wrong answers.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ber25

Hopefully the number of points deducted for a wrong answer are less than the number of points for a right answer.

Advertisement