Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Golf Thoughts

Options

Comments

Golf Ireland have nothing to do with these professionals. They're only responsible for the amateur game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭boccy23

Once they go professional, but they are responsible for the development of them as amateurs to be able to progress into the professional game. This is where I think that other Unions are doing a better job bringing more talent into the pipeline. More talent will eventually mean more and better professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 chasingbirdies

John Murphy ? Has had a very good college career. Made the final group of Dunhill.. had other decent performances, he's only 23 so got a bit of time compared to most of the lads in that article

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Tom McKibbin too, had a good finish in the challenge tour last weekend - was leading after 3rd Rd. Think best hope for good amateurs here is to go through the american collegiate system on a scholarship but very hard to get the funding once they graduate.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭GandhiwasfromBallyfermot

Folks, I put in an application to join my local club about two weeks ago along with proposer and seconder letters, they said they would process it and get back to me for payment and with GUI number etc. I rang them again today to see what the story was and they said they had to wait until the monthly meeting which won't be until next week or the week after to propose and get the application approved. Is this normal procedure in clubs to take this long to get applications processed? I have my sub fee ready to pay and I'm looking out the window at a gorgeous evening here and raring to play some golf but a bit annoyed to have to wait probably 3 or 4 weeks since applying before I can get started.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Generally yes. My own club allowed me to play once I applied but I still had to wait for the all clear. In my club its really a formality but I know bigger course's take it more seriously.

No harm asking if you can play a few rounds and see what they say.

Cheers dan_ep82, I'll give them a call in the morning and see can I get a few holes in over the weekend when the timesheet is quiet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Club Constitution was probably wrote back in the day when golf was more aloof than it is now.

I went to join my current club when I started golfing back in the 90's, all they wanted to know was where I worked, my address and where my Dad worked. I simply joined elsewhere.

I joined again recently and it was a simple form and acted on straight away...clubs need to modernise their admission process, even having to fill out a piece of paper in times of online forms and digital signatures is so inefficient and needless.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Poor old Dylan

hits this amazing shot and makes a par, but then gets awarded a penalty for his stance hitting the ball out of the tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Always wondered if you could just hit it from a bush or a tree. What's the problem here, standing astride the ball, they banned that for putting purposes didn't they?

More than a bit cruel to apply it in these circumstances!

• Advertisement

I was playing at the weekend and my playing partner asked if my green marker was a coin. Any reason he asked this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Thought it was a strange one alright.

Yeah, you can't stand astride of your line when making your swing. Fairly harsh given the circumstances

Maybe he was just a bit greedy and fancied robbing it 🤔

Anyone able to tell me what a 'long handicap' is? I've just come back to golf after 10 years off and some of these terms are new to me, WHS has been a blast to learn 🤣

The new club I just joined has a 'long handicap competition' once a week, just wondering what it is, is a long handicap just a particularly high handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was it a poker chip? Not sure how anyone could think something green was a coin but... if it was a poker chip, it may have been a passive aggressive dig at using such a big marker... Some people aren't fans of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,437 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Infairness they must be a pain to use, would always have to move them because if you hit them you're screwed haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

Poker chips are annoying. When you get someone to move a marker a clubhead there can still be a decent chance depending on the putt that you'll hit it. And it'll totally change the path of the ball.

I wouldn't lose sleep over someone using one, but I can't really understand why someone would. If it was me I'd feel bad if someone hit it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭The Guru 123

Must say they do annoy me and not much annoys me on the golf course. If I think my ball will come within 6 inches of one of those things I'll get them to move it.

So as said above it must be annoying for anyone using one to be constantly moving it.

What's most annoying with them is if you have a 20 footer and there's one 3 feet before the hole. To actually get it out of the way of where you think the ball might go you'd want to ask them to move it a club length. But if you think they're right on your line and you get them to move it even 3 club heads one way, there's every chance you'll misread / mishit it enough to hit their chip. And then leave you with a 3 footer for your second instead of it rolling a bit closer to the hole.

That said, this has happened to me at most a couple of times.

Something I was thinking of the other day was the relationship between playing well and scoring well.

What do you think of the relationship between the two? I usually dismiss people saying they're playing well but not scoring. Golf is the game where you really do have an actual measure of how well you're playing - your scores and your handicap. But at the same time, there's truth to it when someone says they're playing well but just not scoring and I certainly go by it myself.

I constantly come in with terrible scores but think back through the round and reconcile it with myself that I wasn't too far off having a decent score. When you take out the 5 3 putts, duffed chips, lost ball that I thought was on the fairway.... suddenly my 27 point round was more like a 37 point round which I'd have shot had I been concentrating which I would have had I been playing a bit better / more often.

But while I scoff at myself, I do believe there's truth to it. If I've no score, I'm far more likely to three putt or duff a chip. As hard as I try, I just can't get the same level of focus. And there are periods where you're really nailing the irons - long, straight, the desired flight. But just misjudging them or the wind and not capitalising on your good strikes. As opposed to the times where you're not making good contact with anything. But your misses are all short and not leaving you in trouble, so you're still putting bogies on the card and getting up and down for a few pars.

What do ye reckon? If you're playing better than you're scoring over a decent period of time, are you in fact just not playing well?

No, I was marking with a US quarter that I mostly use.

I thought it may have been getting at the club ball markers with the dimple on the underneath which marks the green. But I have never had anyone comment on them before either. It definitely wan't a poker chip. I hate them myself, although it would be rare that I would ask for it to be moved.

Ah, I misread your post. I thought your green marker was green... Could be just a case of him trying to strike up a conversation / being genuinely inquisitive about the coin seeing that it wasn't a euro coin.

I came across a bag of old punt coins that I use as markers occasionally and get the odd comment out of curiousity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Thoughts on 'non refundable' green fees?

Good golf course - 25% of Green Fee deposit paid well in advance and rest of green fee taken ahead of round this weekend (fair enough)

1 of the 2 players now has a positive covid result. Course are sticking to their TCs and Cs of non-refundable. Round was not an offer etc and was full price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

It depends on what's causing the bad scoring, and how typical that is for your game. Usually it's when people are hitting it well tee to green but their short game is letting them down that they say they're playing well but not scoring - that's me generally. I've played three rounds this season and I've been hitting it really well tee to green because I spent the winter at the range, but my chipping and putting has been very poor as they have had no practice. Particularly my putting. Putting has always been the strongest part of my game so I feel I am playing well but not scoring well, and it's just a case of getting the feel back on the greens. Usually I "make up" shots around the green, not lose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Spoke to the club (Doonbeg)

Frustratingly they won’t refund the deposits. I think it’s quite unfair but they’re sticking to their TCs and Cs.

She mentioned no other tee times available since it’s such short notice but I can blatantly see there’s a heap of space around the tee time (4pm on Saturday) so it’s not like I’m screwing over potential punters who wanted that slot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Must say they do annoy me and not much annoys me on the golf course. If I think my ball will come within 6 inches of one of those things I'll get them to move it.

Asked a playing partner to move their poker chip marker two clubhead lengths for me on a par three recently as I felt there was a good chance of it interfering with the line of my birdie putt. He did as I asked without any fuss and moved it well out of the way. I then proceeded to hit an absolutely brutal putt which was offline from the moment I struck it. It was quite a lengthy putt and I was cursing it as it made its way down the green. As it neared the vicinity of the hole however it hit the edge of the poker chip which dramatically changed its direction and diverted into the centre of the hole! Was worth €29 to me as I'd entered for the twos when I signed in. So From that day especially, I have no problem with the poker chip marker!😊

Advertisement