Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

is the u20 game being streamed anywhere ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's looking like a handy nights work for the Under 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭ForestFire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Even with the sending off, Waterford far too good for Kerry. Lovely evening here for hurling though

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I know he sent O Floinn off but otherwise was the ref a bit harsh on the Kerry lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Padraig Fitzgerald looks so good. One for the seniors to keep an eye out for. I feel the reshaping of the team may have given opportunities to find a formula for beating Limerick in the semi final on the 27th April. Plenty of good hurlers on that panel & getting the blend just right could land us in a Munster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭conor05

A bit harsh? Kerry couldn’t buy a free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 OverTheBarPOints

Will the senior Team be announced tomorrow evening? (Thursday) because of the Sat Evening game.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Apart from Pádraig Fitzgerald, Mark Fitzgerald is also a class act who looked much more at home in the half back line tonight. With Ronan Power moved out to wing back and Joe Booth doing well on the other wing, Waterford now appear to have a strong half back line to anchor the team. I can't understand why Patrick Fitzgerald is being played out the field (the same set of mentors did the same with him at minor last year) where he seems to get little ball, especially as he can be so dangerous close to goal. If Cárthach Daly, Reuben Halloran and Charlie Treen had been available, Waterford might have had a great chance in this year's competition, but beating Limerick in Limerick without these players looks like a big ask. Where was Johnny Burke tonight? Injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

What a joke that Carthach Daly can’t be picked for the u20s. No sense to that rule

It obviously didn’t go great for him in the senior game last Sunday it would have been perfect for the lad to go back in with the u20s

Hes stuck in limbo now he’ll probably be left sitting on the bench kicking his heels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Fair play to you Giveitfong, you’re certainly across the fortunes of all our teams. Not surprised at all with the sobering statistics on results at these grades the last few years. The common themes seem to be either we lose convincingly or the ones we narrowly came out the wrong side of, poor decisions or tactics (on the field or on the line) could be pointed to as factors contributing to our downfall.

Well done to the u20’s, got the job done in convincing fashion and sets up a crack at Limerick.

Onto Saturday, any word from the camp? Carthach Daly went off injured if I recall, is he out or available?

I’d say the strongest team we could go with would probably be:

SOB

C.Gleeson Prunty McNulty

Jack F. Tadgh C.Lyons

I. Daly Barron

Aussie Jack P. Curran

Dessie Bennett Kiely

Monty and Darragh Lyons unlucky to drop to the bench but good options off the bench, along with Peter Hogan, C.Daly (if available) and Bennetts x 2. If Barron doesn’t have the fitness to last the full game, there’s plenty of options to slot in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I thought Patrick Fitzgerald (Ballygunner) and first cousin of Mark Fitzgerald (Passage) was the up and coming star / one to watch but it appears from above that Padraig Fitzgerald (Kilrossanty) is another exceptional talent or are people getting both mixed up……?

Good win but as people saying above the next game v limerick is the acid test.

regarding Saturday v limerick for those not making the trip is it sky sports arena or one of other of the sky sports channels as opposed to Rte that are showing it….? Anyone know if you do not have sky sports can you ‘buy’ a subscription for the match……or is it a trip to the local ‘boozer’ to watch it…?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

I have to admit that I wasn't aware of Padraig Fitzgerald as a hurler until the fitzgibbon this year. I know he had played underage football but doesn't seem to have been involved a lot on the hurling side. Is this his last year under 20?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

Hi there

I have been lurking here for many years but have never posted. I really enjoy it and find it a very valuable way of keeping on top of developments in Waterford GAA. Thank you all.

Anyway I am in Spain this week and will watch the Limerick match on GAAGo. My elderly father in Waterford wants to go to Limerick and is wondering if there are any special bus services operating for fans going to the match?

Any help appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Now TV an option for a short term sky sports sub. I assume the game is on sky sports arena, most GAA games are housed there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Patrick Fitzgerald is absolutely an up and coming star ; I presume he will be with Ballygunner seniors from now on and soon after, County seniors ; watch that space. He has shown flashes of brilliance for the U20s but he’s only out of minor and may not be best served in his current positioning and ball supply on this team. I also wasn’t aware of Padraig Fitzgerald but he’s certainly making a big impact.

Was Mark Fitzgerald with the senior squad (before his recent injury) ; if so, will he be called back into the fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

What part of Spain are you in ! (send me a PM) …. I’ll be watching it on TV in an apartment, all going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dammo

• Registered Users Posts: 38,315 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Who's the affiliated hurling club for Kilrossanty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Article here makes sobering reading.

Team – no. short POs – Short PO resulting in possession in opp’s half – percentage)

• Limerick – 18 – 13 – 72%
    • Wexford – 14 – 5 – 36%
    • Tipperary – 18 – 6 – 33%
    • Waterford – 12 – 3 – 25%
    • Cork – 23 – 5 – 21%
    • Galway – 11 – 1 – 9%

Number of deliveries from Zone 1( Goal - 45m) – Retention rate in opposition’s half

• Limerick – 9 – 66%
    • Cork – 11 – 36%
    • Waterford – 15 – 47%
    • Tipperary – 19 – 32%
    • Wexford – 22 – 23%
    • Galway – 25 – 24%

Number of deliveries from Zone 2 (45m - 65m) – Retention rate in opposition’s half

• Limerick – 26 – 69%
    • Cork – 14 – 71%
    • Waterford – 10 – 80%
    • Tipperary – 16 – 96%
    • Wexford – 13 – 54%
    • Galway – 10 – 80%

Limerick almost double short puckout success and get in opposition half than any other team.

Also able to send in deliveries from ‘zone 2 ‘ at much higher frequency.

Hopefully Liam has a plan to inturrupt limerick playing out from the back and trust the half back line to take care of their own ball.

Waterford struggled playing out against Tipp during first half and we saw lost of aimless balls when the pressure came on.

Hopefully they have learned some lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Haven't heard of anything myself, but I'm sure if you contact Kavanaghs, club Déise, or maybe one of the clubs might have a bus organised?

Is he looking to travel on his own?

It's terrible now for older people.

Only able to get tickets for matches online because they don't sell them at the grounds now.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭deise man

Any recommendations for a handy spot for parking in limerick on Saturday night. Parked in na piarsaigh club last couple of times. Can be slow to get out of. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Gluteus_Maximus

He is thinking of driving himself. Trains weren't much use. There is one that gets in around quarter to seven which is too close to throw in.

I contacted Kavanaghs but they aren't doing anything for it. I will have a look at Club Deise though my father wouldn't be a member.

He'd have been happy to stay the night in Limerick but hotels are outrageous. Clayton looking for 299 for the night. Limerick Strand was higher when I looked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭lim4ev

na piarsaigh is a good bet have a coke afterwards and let the traffic go you're practically on the motorway so shouldn't be a big wait.

otherwise park on city side of river and walk out approximately 20 minute stroll. most big matches lately the guards are stopping just over the bridges so you're better off walking.

oh and by the way up limerick!!

Advertisement