Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB eCars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

You could argue that the cables on ecars units are also too short, but that’s another conversation.

They (ecars) definitely need to think about where you wait on site for a unit to free up, but that’s wishful thinking given the slow rollout so far. This will only get worse and annoy everyone at the site , not just EV owners , so maybe management might take a bit of notice.

Nevermind the fact that all the units are exposed to the heavy rain that fell earlier, while you can pump Dino fuel under cover.

I’ve seen how queues are formed in the UK and France / Holland, but it all seems down to how fair the drivers are too each other and nothing else. I saw the video of the Tesla Suc in Vegas at the weekend where a Tesla driver did the same thing to another Tesla driver and took the spot, so it can happen anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think the one thing we can be sure about Ecars is that they don't give a crap about their customers

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I do yes. The problem I have is that the Tesla chargers are located in very good areas, therefore if they open up they will be incredibly busy. I was charging at castlebellingham on Saturday lunchtime. 3 of the stalls were taken while I was there. The one ESB charger had a leaf and an etron there with another leaf and an ID4 waiting. EV's are becoming very common on the roads and chargers on motorway routes are busy. Selfishly from my point of view I hope they don't open and I presume I'm not alone on here!!

It's an easy out for ECars if another company picks up the slack for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And if they are very busy then Telsa makes more money. Their ultimate goal. At the end of the day that's all they care about.

True enough. If he does open up I'll probably go for the Ioniq 5. I love the look of it. Old school "lancia HF integrale" from it.

• Advertisement

If Tesla provided all the fast charging then Ecars hopefully goes out of business and ends up selling the network to someone competent

More likely scenario is that ESB will run the network in a barely capable state as long as possible so they can sit on the sites and argue for more government investment

Again I think it's a knowledge thing, Mayfield got a lot of press when it opened, and ESB are always banging on about their "hubs" so people tend to go there

Whereas many new EV drivers probably don't know Ionity exists

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Mayfield is it's own enemy. People see lots of units and think that's their best shot at getting a plug, but the more people who think this the less chance you have of getting a plug there.

Smaller sites get overlooked. Basically more hubs (proper ones) takes pressure off of Mayfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

I stopped at Kill "North" yesterday evening and there was just one another car trying to start charging. Left after 5 mins and they were still struggling. Tried to help but it was failing to initiate. On Kill "South" there was nobody when passed by. Tesla charges around 35-38 c/kWh so arguably the same price but you're right some people know little else than ESB, while others assume they are clever. (see the driver who connected the AC cable into SuC).

ecars will not go under cause it is funded by us and they don't answer to anybody. Sounds such a commie thing to say but unfortunately it is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭zg3409

One of the busiest sites on main M1, offline all bank holiday weekend. Still offline today. I can imagine loads of new EV owners arriving assuming the charger would work, then being at a low charge. Takes the shine off EV ownership. Sure Anna was probably flying past in her ICE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Was it actually offline or was it showing offline in the app? Didn't Black Knight say recently that the app is showing incorrect information for loads of charge points? Maybe I picked him up wrong though.

Definitely was working on Saturday at lunchtime. An etron and a leaf charging while a leaf and an ID4 was waiting.

Did they try another unit? One bonus of Ionity (and Tesla) is there's almost always another unit to try (City North being the annoying exception)

With ESB, a broken is almost always a major headache

I think you're right that ESB won't go under, and as I've said I think it'd be a great idea for government, councils and the ESB to work together to provide chargers in areas that otherwise would be ignored.

But the idea that they're Ireland's biggest charging network and only have a single hub is just laughable

I've not hear an update on that bug in a while, but I think it was where you filter by CCS (for example) and see sites in use on the map, but when you open the site specifically it would say it's free. Or visa versa.

Mayfield on Monday:

Pretty much at capacity from 1 until 5/6pm.

Ballacolla was pretty flat out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

They tried 1 and 2 and I told them to try the one I was on just to eliminate the chargers. They were trying the QR code which would fail then I gave them my RFID and got "failed to initiate..." , I was in a bit of a rush with the kids in the car.

The bug is still there after 6 months and not limited to CCS. AC chargers as well.

Here it is one example. Showing busy on the map but one side is free.

another example with no filter at all. People turning up because the app shows them free and then surprise surprise.

Didn't someone spot recently that the stickers are reversed on a bunch of Ionity chargers? So if you scan the QR code for charger 1 it activates charger 2 and so forth. I think @Black_Knight got caught with that recently?

Not I. But yeah, I think it was Ionity Kill north IIRC.

Every Mondays usage since last May. Latest is the Easter bank holiday. Slow charger usage was slightly down, but I guess less were plugging in for work etc, and ecars have been removing all the AC units from tourist locations in favour of DC units.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

CCS is really starting to diverge onto it's own path now.... and yet there's only 1 multi unit eCars site where there are more CCS than CHAdeMO plugs....

The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

That was me - Ionity City North and Ionity Athlone both have the QR code stickers on the wrong stalls. (somewhat more worrying in City North as there are only two stalls for them to put the sticker on)

Well while the actual usage of CCS is going up far greater than CHAdeMO, the potential usage of CHAdeMO is still very high.

I've had to dumb down my brain to ecars levels to intelligence to justify that sentence.

The thing is with the whole CCS v CHAdeMO argument is despite the ratio of CCS to CHAdeMO increasing exponentially, and everyone knowing it(?), I actually like the way they've set up the new Tuam site, with a CCS & CHAdeMO plug for each of the 4 spaces. Doesn't matter what cars are there, if there's a spot available you get a CCS/CHAdeMO charge, end of. The same with spaces 7 & 8 in Mayfield. 4 plugs on a unit that covers 2 spaces is what they should be aiming at, so a space is never left idle (like Mayfield if 2 CCS cars plugged in & a 3rd CCS car arrives).

All the existing 150kW + 50kW sites where there's ample space (Kilcullen, Park Ri, Galway Plaza etc..) should be upgraded to 4 space sites with the 2x 4 plug chargers, even if they have to load balance a 200kW grid connection..

Any sign of the next upgrade/new site coming? Anywhere? hello.... Anna?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How much extra did it cost to have the CHADEMO on each charger? How many additional CCS points could they have added if they stuck with the European standard ?

Probably a lot, but lets face it, we all just have to accept that eCars are still full on with CHAdeMO deployment.... Tuam for instance would be perfectly acceptable for just 1 of the units to have the CHAdeMO plugs on it, and the other unit be CCS only, but we know eCars just aren't going to do it like that, so their solution of 8 plugs for 4 spaces is the best we can probably expect from them (however more expensive it ends up costing).

It's a backwards solution to the problem they've created all by themselves by continuing to support new CHAdeMO installations in equal measure to new CCS installations (with the exception or 1 site that's almost 11 months old now).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭AFOL

What EVs use CHAdeMO? is it just the Leaf?

I think there's a Lexus BEV that also uses CHAdeMO, but don't think theres many if any at all in Ireland.

Tesla Model S & X can also use CHAdeMO with a special adaptor.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes the only BEV in Ireland that uses CHAdeMO is the Leaf. And the nearly extinct Japanese trio of the Mitsubishi i-Miev and its two twins (there are only a handful of these in the country)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Don't forget the Outlander drivers that go out of their way to use a CHAdeMO plug :)

Just jokes relax, have seen it down in Gorey with the Ionity busy at the same time.

• Advertisement

I seem to remember a while back that Ecars said it adds about 10-15% to the overall cost to add Chademo plugs

At the time, I'd say that was for a 50kW unit, not sure the same holds for a high powered charger

So it doesn't exactly break the bank to have Chademo available

Advertisement