Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

The sad part is that perhaps that civil war needs to happen, if only to get all this crap out in the open, and capable of being dealt with. France has been too divided for far too long (beyond their natural/native divisions).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It is crazy. Imagine your president/PM/Taoiseach saying that. If we don't bow to Islams demands, there'll be a civil war. How weak and pathetic the West has become.

Europe's first multicultural civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

It'll be great to have all that new blood to pay for their Pensions too!

It's an exaggeration in any case. The Muslim population isn't big enough to pose that much of a genuine threat. The danger is more from long-term terrorism, and violent protests as a result of cracking down on them.

All the same, the Muslim population continues to grow quickly, so they'd be better off cracking down on this now, returning French culture/behavioural norms to supremacy, and establishing the place of foreign cultures in France. Leaving it to later will make the eventual conflict much much worse. But that's the way Westerners are with most things... defer the problem to the next generation, who defer it to the next.

I know it's hyperbole from Macron. I'm not sure what Le Pen's answer was, but i'd hope it was something along the lines of "isn't it a great pity you have let France go this far".

But in France, as was previously seen in Spain (ETA) and Ireland (IRA), a small group can cause big trouble for a bigger power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They’re both trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator in French society, and voters are kinda stuck trying to decide which candidate is the lesser of two evils -

https://amp.france24.com/en/france/20220418-in-france-s-unhappy-democracy-voting-for-lesser-evil-is-a-bitter-pill-to-swallow

The political slogan “liberty, equality, fraternity” is being shown up for the meaningless farce it always was since it’s inception -

The term "Terror" being used to describe the period was introduced by the Thermidorian Reaction who took power after the fall of Maximilien Robespierre in July 1794, to discredit Robespierre and justify their actions. Today there is consensus amongst historians that the exceptional revolutionary measures continued after the death of Robespierre, and this subsequent period is now called the "White Terror". By then, 16,594 official death sentences had been dispensed throughout France since June 1793, of which 2,639 were in Paris alone; and an additional 10,000 died in prison, without trial, or under both of these circumstances.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_of_Terror

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

Well since current and former European leaders like Macron, Rutte, Merkel, Lofven, Juncker, May etc don't have kids, it's probably more difficult for them to think of the next generation in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, probably we won't be seeing the government overthrown and the new Islamic Republic of Franchistan being established anytime soon, but things are getting worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The fact that a Presidential debate in France is even talking about civil war shows how far things have got out of hand.

The fact that a Pakistani boxer has to tell Sadiq Kahn to get his act together to make London safer again shows how things have got out of hand.

All of these are signs of a lower quality of life. And then some BS artist politician or economist tells you it's good for GDP. Laughable if it wasn't so deadly serious.

The same as is happening in the UK is happening in France - immigration and multiculturalism are being used as scapegoats for the disastrous handling of their economies.

The idea of secularism in France was supposed to mean there was no prohibition on the free exercise of religion, but instead of maintaining French culture and behavioural norms, it’s only in recent years they decided to go all in on a particular religion. The idea from the beginning was nonsense in any case -

The French philosopher and Universal Declaration of Human Rights co-drafter Jacques Maritain, a devout Catholic convert and a critic of French laïcité, noted the distinction between the models found in France and in the mid-twentieth century United States. He considered the US model of that time to be more amicable because it had both "sharp distinction and actual cooperation" between church and state, what he called "a historical treasure" and admonished the United States, "Please to God that you keep it carefully, and do not let your concept of separation veer round to the European one."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secularism_in_France

• Advertisement

I don't think the French or UK economies planted any bombs, beheaded anyone or groomed any young girls.

I don't have kids (that I know of, anyway). Being without children shouldn't matter. Although, perhaps lacking in basic common sense should.

Oh, I don't think a civil war would result in that.. but increased rights and liberties for all Muslims? yeah, I could see that.

Nah, they just tried to conquer the known world, were involved in two world wars, and would do the same again in the morning at the first opportunity 🙄

Any more rights will be at the expense of others, usually the most vulnerable of them, the women and children. Since it's that time of the year, no one questions the barbaric full daylong fasting that includes water and any oral medicine which by either force or peer pressure is imposed on everyone.

Pointless and meaningless whataboutery. They also created the modern world and industrial revolution and they are the reason we are so advanced that we can converse using these devices, but still, nothing to do with the topic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

White guilt in all its glory. This philosophy has brought positives in dialling back racism and the nastier forms of nationalism, but has brought negatives with it. Among them a lingering self hate for White Europeans and in White Europeans themselves and a weird exotic fetish for anything that isn't White and European and how that will improve the "breed". Liberal progressives who want to import illiberal very conservative elements for the cause, illiberal very conservative elements their parents and grandparents tried to remove from European society. You couldn't make it up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Giving rights generally does come at the expense of others. That's always been the case, it's just downplayed by State and the media. Usually it's one group being elevated over others.. which is a mockery of equality, and individualism. Once a group becomes protected, and/or gains benefits not available or not available to the same extent as that chosen group, inequalities occur, and we're likely to see bitterness manifest leading to racism.

Of course, nobody will acknowledge that such preferential treatment of a group is a cause of racism. Rather it is entirely the fault of the "racists", but ultimately those who advocate for protected status or more benefits for groups (not individuals) are encouraging divisions in society.

Which is why it's so dangerous to extend such special rights to Muslims, or any ethnic group, because it marks them out as being different from the general population. It reinforces the differences, and ensures that both Muslims and natives will be constantly aware that they are not one people.. not united and sharing the same problems, but rather two different groups struggling with limited resources, which naturally, encourages either group to be seen as an enemy.

It's one of the main reasons why I do support the banning of the Burka or whatever headdress involved. It reinforces the impression that they are not part of western society. No doubt someone will say that western society should adapt to the point where this is accepted, but the simple truth is that it's not practical or realistic. It's not going to happen. So, what's to be done then? Ahh ignore the issue and apply some wishful thinking?

Which is why multiculturalism is doomed to failure.

Someone will be along soon talking about Bridie who wears a headscarf to bingo, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

This thread is just going round and round in circles.

Middle class white liberals showing off their oh so right on credentials - to whom, themselves, or their wider equally warped circle? - then we get the last two comments ripping them apart with sensible arguments which has become the norm, but we just go on and on and on.

I can only assume if you are a lover of multiculturalism, though it seems an odd concept, as many comments here have re-iterated time and time again, it has failed miserably elsewhere.

I pop in here every week or so, and it just seems the same old same old. I see the thread has been running for 2 years almost.

Is it just me, or do others feel the same? Genuine question.

Same, I only pop in the odd time now and see the same questions, answers and arguments. Some of the folks who happen upon the thread and rehash the same old, same old, don't like it when you point out that its all been said before though.

On the plus side, I do love seeing Ireland becoming more multicultural :)

The more the merrier

• Advertisement

So it looks like there's actually no limit being placed on the numbers of Ukrainians coming.

I can see something like this, and the ensuing shortages of housing which would be made worse, resulting in a massive shift to home building by the govt. Possibly even formation of some agency to manage it and carry out the construction.

RTE news : 'No cap on refugees despite challenges' - minister

Is it just me, or do others feel the same? Genuine question.

Ahh well, I remember quite clearly when the PC movement was in full swing, and the attitude against anything opposing the virtuous was the pits of evil, and squashed. A lot like the way the topic of multiculturalism and immigration is managed in this country.

Yes, the thread is definitely circular/repetitive... however I think it's important to continue the presence of an objection against it, because we haven't reached, in this country, any serious position where these issues are dealt with in a balanced way.

Remove the thread, and we'll simply go back to the social silence relating to the topic, and I'd prefer to avoid that. It's also a good place for people to try out arguments, and find logical sequences for countering the exclamations of the emotionally driven. Lastly, I find it's a good reference thread, to use when I encounter those who failed so badly to promote multiculturalism, but find them on other threads. Helps to avoid going into the massive detail or the provision of links/articles which we did earlier in the thread.

So, yeah, I see definite value in keeping the thread going.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And where do you suggest to get the manpower and skill set required, or pay for the costs involved etc?

If the Governments of the last decade haven't been able to do this then how do you imagine this happening now given the issues we're already facing?

Don't worry, He will magic it all up. We''ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

What I outlined was pure speculation on my part so I can't offer specifics. That being said, in terms of funding, I would liken the situation to covid i.e. its an emergency, so borrowing could be facilitated through the EU in some form (bonds, EIB etc). You can be damned sure a lot of countries are going to need to borrow a lot to accommodate refugees from this war.

As for manpower and skills, well a few hundred thousand refugees should contain some with the required skills as well as plenty who would be looking for work who could be trained up.

I'm not saying it would be easy, it wouldn't and again, its pure speculation on my part so this may not even come to pass.

Pointless and meaningless whataboutery. They also created the modern world and industrial revolution and they are the reason we are so advanced that we can converse using these devices, but still, nothing to do with the topic.

How is it pointless and meaningless whataboutery when it was a direct comparison to your equally flippant nonsense? Did a bang-up job of creating the modern world too, didn’t they? Still the same as the old one, only now instead of having their minions look the person in the eye when they’re killing them, it can be done from a safe distance, like the other side of the globe safe distance, and politicians don’t have to get their hands dirty at all.

There’s fcukall in the way of nuance in your post and frankly I can’t be arsed, but imagining that either the French or the British alone were responsible for the industrial revolution or that they alone responsible for us conversing on the devices we’re using, is being wilfully ignorant. Where do you imagine they got the resources?

Nope not doing it anymore.

• Advertisement

You’re just after demonstrating that it can be made up, and you did. My flippant retort wasn’t motivated by any sort of white guilt. It was in response to the poster presenting the usual “Europe good, everywhere else bad” false narrative, as if European countries literally are whiter than white! They’re clearly not, and when someone is making that same “Everywhere else bad” point, then it absolutely should be pointed out to them to remove the beam from their own eye.

There’s no hatred of white Europeans or anything else, it’s simply acknowledging that history is more nuanced than simplistic narratives. The same chest-beating patriots claiming modern Western society is superior, are the same lads claiming Western society is weak with all the wokey, limp-wristed lefty-lib… etc, and they wouldn’t work to warm themselves! They’re taking credit for the work of a small number of people in the West, while pointing out that everywhere else is inferior, based upon the behaviour of a small number of people!

It’s not importing illiberal elements that weren’t exported in the first place by European Colonists in service of their Monarchs who thought of themselves as greater than God and wanted to spread their Kingdoms on earth. It’s not unusual or unreasonable that rulers in the Middle East would infuse their followers with an equal disdain for Western ideas of liberal democracies either. Banning headscarves is easy, shipping people off to former colonies is easy, expensive, but easy. That’s taking candy from a baby stuff. Doing something that will actually alleviate suffering of the poorest and most downtrodden and disenfranchised in society is what’s actually hard.

I don’t have anything to feel guilty about, and I don’t have anything to be ashamed of either, and I’d challenge anyone who tried to associate me with some of the wingnuts on here who claim to represent the Irish people jeering and cheerleading at what politicians in England and France are doing to other human beings in order to save their own skin.

Advertisement