Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

@Fandymo The Red Cross say Helen never formally made an offer. I’m not surprised, she probably never intended to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm not joking. Two months would have been too long for the likes of Poland but not here, we are not on the front line. Poland has people living in stadia, we do not, yet.

The fact that we are facing space shortages is because the quality of accommodation provided to date is high, relatively speaking.

In any case, no one has backed out because it's taken too long to have refugees placed with them. They've backed out because they've realised once the Twitter good feels sheen has worn off, they'll be supporting another family in their property in an open ended way. Something they should've realised before promising and wasting everyone's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wonder how accessible all the countries like Ukraine and Nigeria would be to Irish citizens if the Brits invaded here ?

we probably get in but be on our own dime.

@Strumms The US are already increasing interest rates it’s inevitable in Europe too. They need to fight inflation. The supply shock might cause a short pump but once interest rates go up the size of mortgages issued will drop too, I’d imagine banks are already issuing less approvals already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭cal naughton

Could she not get her buddy in Tayto Park to give them a job to get them out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

You would hope the Minister for Justice has clarity of thinking at most, if not all, times.

“Sitting serenely within the rolling Meath countryside, this secluded seven-bedroom gem located near to an Equine Assisted Therapy Centre has plenty of home-working space, and is surrounded by acres of stunning gardens.” Apparently a description of her home. (H/T Late Stage Ireland).

And on the same day she’s saying there is “no cap” on refugees.

Wrt Fandymo’s post I can sort of understand/forgive Joe Soap diving in and then getting cold feet but this is our part-time Justice Minister.

I suppose our only hope is that there is another career break on the way so that we can get away from this fuzzy-logic and get someone more level-headed in the job.

Funny that McEntee is having this moment of clarity now, because sending refugees into rural backwaters with no infrastructure has never been a problem for her department until now.

It's truly amazing what clarity having to make a sacrifice yourself brings, rather than making people you don't care about to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I see the Indo has reported this about McEntee but I cannot see it elsewhere. I supposed other media outlets will not deem it newsworthy, it being a 'personal' matter etc. Happy to be corrected if it crops up on the TV news tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I suspect some have "backed out" because they have made arrangements independently

In my case I want the Red Cross to make a match. My property is quite large and can accommodate quite a large extended family or friends with space for a number of children. There are a couple of rooms above the garage that can be used as playrooms.

I also think that those coming through the "system" now are more likely to be traumatised. My accommodation, assuming someone English speaking, could be it's own little community providing support to each other. Quite a number of locals have already donated furniture and I've got my employer to fund some new stuff that is required. It's been quite a co-ordinated effort from the locals who are committed to providing support to any refugees (alas I'm now 200km away, but would continue to offer support on an ongoing basis, travelling back up to Dublin as necessary, but I really think there are plenty of locals who will be making sure they are comfortable and get whatever they need)

It's a 15 minute walk to town, but that's nothing compared to what these people have been through.

It would be great if someone could move in tomorrow, but sometimes it may need a little more thought to make best use of the premises.

If people had backed out because they've gone around the system that would absolutely be reported widely by the media in order to shame the official response to move faster. And surely if you've taken someone in, you'd answer the phone to let the red cross know when they enquire.

It is far more likely that the majority have backed out because it's dawned on them just what a huge, open-ended commitment they are getting into. It's the kind of thing that they should've considered before signing up and making the process so much more difficult, but Twitter likes and their personal moralising to others is far more important than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

People don't tend to answer the phone to unknown numbers given the prevalence of scams.

From what I am hearing there is no actual proper system of ringing them back.

Bit like the Vaccine rollout recently where the HSE were accusing 1000s of people of not making their appointments.

Also if you do some simple maths on the numbers offered recently, they make absolutely no sense. Half the people contacted won't answer and the other half haven't been contacted. 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

I'd be more concerned by this sentence from her:

“Obviously we want to encourage people to come forward, and not to force anybody to have to give up the property or accommodation."

What does she mean "force" people? Requisition privately owned property?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Jarhead_Tendler

Great TULSA are such a slick and well oiled organisation

She wouldn't encourage by leading by example and opening up her mansion? Nah.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ah i see so you know why everyone withdrew their offer ? Of course you do

• Registered Users Posts: 24,891 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Government reconfirms there is no limit to entry

Ireland will not cap the number of refugees it accepts even as the Government admits it is facing a struggle to house arriving Ukrainians. Around 25,000 Ukrainian refugees have arrived in Ireland.. with around 16,000 of them seeking accommodation.

What does she mean "force" people? Requisition privately owned property?

They'd bankrupt the state over all the legal battles involved. It would be suicide to attempt to forcibly requisition privately owned property.. it's not as if Ireland is under any kind of emergency or war itself.

Which do you think is more likely: people withdrawing their offer and/or becoming uncontactable because they have changed their mind, or your excuse that they have gone down to hotels themselves and brought home a family.

If you think that the latter has happened beyond in more than 1% of cases then you live in Fantasy-land and there is no helping you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

The question I have is why would the government not cap it. What do they gain out of it. It sure as hell isn’t out of the goodness of their hearts that they’d be trying to let as many as can come here in so what’s the upside?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Noticed that too. With a juicy story like this they might “not cover it”… but then do a lengthy think-piece on the Indo’s coverage of it.

At what stage did i say either was the majority ? Because I have no idea why some people withdrew . I dont know these people

They cant even get the buses to run on time or sometimes even turn up. They’re living in lala land.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

Our Justice Minister Helen McEntee, after confirming again today that there would be no cap on the amount of Ukrainian refugees who can come to Ireland, deliberately brought up the topic of forced government take-over of private property to house refugees. While she said that they would like to encourage rather than force people to provide accommodation for refugees, who knows if she may change her mind again, like she did when she reversed her decision to take in Ukrainian refugees herself. Forced take-over of private property is an unnerving notion to bring up.

One item of note that seems to be missing from the news today is the topic of the financial burden on Ireland that was detailed in the memo submitted to the Cabinet yesterday. From the memo, it states “Based on the assumption that all refugees are accommodated in emergency hotel accommodation and taking account of additional costs for key supports and services (including social protection, health and education) each cohort of 10,000 refugees would lead to an estimated cost of half a billion euro”. So €500 million per 10,000 refugees. This expenditure cannot be met through the reprioritisation of existing resources, so they are using up the Covid funds to meet this cost.

If there is an external shock (as discussed in the Cabinet memo), for example a cut in oil/gas supply that caused power disruption, this could result in a 20% reduction in tax intake. And with Ireland currently one of the most indebted countries in the world, the realities of trying to take in every single Ukrainian who wants to come here in a no-cap scenario does not make sense.

Maybe we a need a Plan B; a plan that provides as much resources as possible to the country of Ukraine, plus accommodating as many Ukrainian refugees that can be sustained by our existing health and social services; a plan that maintains the dignity of the refugees themselves i.e. please do not put them in tents.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

Good Friday we got an email to see if the pledge was still available (click link and confirm) and then yesterday (Wed) a call from a Dublin number wanting permission for a Garda vetting request and told someone would be in touch, they obviously had looked up the Eircode as he was able to say that were close to Village, Beach etc....

Wait and see I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,775 ✭✭✭buried

McEntee playing a dangerous game in some pathetic attempt to look morally righteous in the immediate term. This soundboarding of a 'forced government take-over of private property to house refugees' is only going to do one thing, which is breed an extreme level of resentment and anger that she and her gang are not accustomed to.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭enricoh

Do you reckon it'll come to that? There would be ww3 if they seized private property. We've a holiday home n they can sod off. probably gets used 15-20 weekends a year between a few families.

I have mates trying to get non paying tenants out for 3 years and no joy yet, authorities couldn't care less. Fair play to people who hand over the keys for Ukrainians, I hope the people leave when they need it back.

• Advertisement

All these refugees being brought in and if it wasn’t for volunteers they would have no nappies or toiletries or clean underwear . Thank god someone is taking responsibility and looking after them . Then giving them a bed to lie on is all well and good but they need so much more than that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement