Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

Thanks for feedback, the lower system is about €1000 more than lads from the north, with only BER not included in their quote,

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

It's a bit much but in saying that the prices have gone through the roof in the last month alone. As with anything get 5/6 quotes from recommended installers and pick the best. At this stage a lot of companies aren't even returning calls

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

That wouldn't surprise me Chuck, what with the Ukrainian war driving energy prices up right across Europe has people who might have been on the fence previously now looking to adopt solar. Same is also true of the fairly decent weather. I'm guessing that it's somewhat seasonal, and most people think of getting the solar in the bright sunshine days of spring/summer, and to a lesser extent during the dark days of winter.

So I'd say that most of the supplers/installers are mad busy

• Registered Users Posts: 10 j0vi

Can you send recommendations to me as well please.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Have 4 quotes

Quote 1 - 6kWp (15X400W)  4.8kWh battery storage and MyEnergi EDDI water diverter. Cost 13.3k before grant.

Quote 2 - 6.4kWp (16 x 400W), no battery, MyEnergi Eddi water diverter, Huawei Inverter, Cost 13.5k before grant

Quote 3 - 5.92kW (16 x 370W), 5kWh Huawei Battery, 3.68kW Eco-Energy diverter, 6kW Huawei Inverter, Cost 15.9k before grant

Quote 4 - 4.32kW (12 x 360W), MyEnergi EDDI water diverter - Cost 9k before grant

Nb. quotes 2 and 3 provided options for smaller systems (4kW) with and without batteries but haven't included these to keep length of this down.

My usage is approx 1050kWh per month (taken from energia app). I also heat water currently solely by oil boiler. Oil costing 200 euro a month. My cylinder needs replacing as its on way out so will be replacing anyway and go as big as i need to.

Have two PHEV but plan to move to full EV in about 2 years.

Aim is to maximise my usage from panels and minimise importing from grid. I work from home but during year house mostly empty during the day apart from myself.

Post edited by mdfire on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

ROUGH GUIDE

€1.2k per 1kWp of panels

€550 for an Eddi

€1k per 2kW of batteries

After grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Post edited by MAULBROOK on

• Registered Users Posts: 45,469 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's definitely overpriced by a good bit. Get more quotes. Pm if you want my installer.

I don't think this is a realistic guide at today's prices. The quote I put a deposit on a over a month ago going by the above formula was 900 more expensive. Out of curiosity I messaged maybe 7/8 recommend installers and every single one said they couldn't touch the quote I got as they have increased prices several times in the last 3 months. Most are working out up to €2000\€2500 more.

Given the scale of the price increase which from installers which are far ahead of materials price increases there is a pretty obvious case of making money while the demand is there. Some is straight up gouging but it seems to be the Irish way. The lack of serious competition is an installers dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Dunno mate. Last year the guide price was €1k per 1Kwp and €1k per 2.5Kwhr Battery. Championc has effectively dropped 20% increase on that. Sounds about right to me. I'd have said slightly lower to be honest maybe more 15%, but it's in about that level

One thing about the guide price is that if your system is on the smaller size, then it's harder to get to the guide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Prices very near to that updated guide are still achievable. Plus nobody ever said it wasn't flexible. It's just a guide/target price. If you come in €1k over then it's still a decent price.

But if a quote is €4k over it then time to rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

I am reasonably sure that prices from Solartricity are still much the same now as they were 6 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TechShop

Hi everyone.. I got a quote yesterday on a system and Id like to know if the price is good that I'm not getting robbed. Pm recommendations if anyone knows better prices.

13 solar panels 370w JA solar PV

GivEnergy Hybrid inverter

MyEnergi EEDI Power Diverter smart immersion

I said I want it battery ready and with all installation it's €8217 then grant after leaving it at €5817. Is this a good price or could I do better? That's it installed and everything. Appreciate any thoughts, welcome to any pm

That's not bad. It's better than a lot of recent quotes I've seen.

€1k per 1kWp of panels plus 500 for Eddi installed would be €5310 after grant.

You are quoted €1.1k per 1kWp of panels plus 500 for Eddi.

You could try to get an extra panel or two thrown in if space allows. No harm asking.

Ah yeah I understand that and it's a good formula to aim for but just going on personal experience over the last two months not a single installer has come close to it. I've been actively speaking to them and that formula hasn't been changed here in months.

Fair play to anyone who has gotten a quote based on that. Unfortunately I couldn't but there is definitely value in shopping around. Are there installers around who people have managed to get this price range from ?

Plenty of people are getting close to it. Push harder and make sure you try every installer you can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Just be aware that the GiveEnergy inverter will only work with GiveEnergy batteries so you'll be stuck with that option vs getting something like a Solis hybrid which works with various batteries.

Thanks a million. Good info

Thank you. Appreciate all yer time.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Hi lads, just wondering if anyone can give a recommendation for a Galway installation. The two trusted installers I’ve used/recommended for friends and family from here wouldn’t be doing much work out west.

Any information would be appreciated 👍🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

What do you reckon about these? They're for 2 different properties.

16 PANELS 370 WATT 5.92 JA SOLAR 

5KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

6 KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE 

PRICE 12500 EUROS 

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI.

TOTAL 10100 EUROS

VALID FOR 14 DAYS

12 PANELS 370 WATT 4.4 KW JA SOLAR

5KW PURE DRIVE BATTERY

5 KW SOLIS HYBRID INVERTER

EDDI WATER DIVERTER

WI FI DONGLE

PRICE 11500 EUROS 

GRANT 2400 EUROS APPLY TO SEAI

TOTAL 9100 EUROS

VALID FOR 14 DAYS

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

So,

Had a quote in earlier, and there's options, as we are very much non standard here in terms of we have 3 phase, (presently Day/Night) and a big automatic standby generator in the mix. Our usage is around the 5000 Kwh per annum, split 70/30 day/night, but we don't heat water with electric at the moment, we've historically used oil, as that kept the boiler and pumps running during the summer, so it helped with the reliability, the only issue we've ever had with the heating is that some of the TRV valve pins stick during the summer, but it's 30 seconds to fix that with a drop of silicon oil and a pair of parallel jaw pliers. I can see the electric usage going up a bit, as we're home more now than we used to be.

The minimum quote is 8 x 400 Watt Panels, 3 Kw inverter, installed etc, after all grants and discounts comes in at €5650

There are then options to go for more panels (12, 16 or 20 ), and add a 5Kw battery, the top end is 20 panels (370W), a 6Kw inverter, 5Kw battery, that comes in at nett of discounts and grant €15470.

I'm talking to them about the option to put the 3 phase higher capacity inverter in from Day 1, as there's not that much difference in the price, and it makes future upgrades a lot easier to do, in terms of either panels or battery. Inverters would be Huawei Sun2000 range, battery is also Huawei.

The prices are only open till the end of the month, as there's a supplier discount on offer to the end of the month, the install doesn't have to be in by that date, but the commitment to install does have to have been made, and the slight snag is that we have only just ordered new windows, this offer came in a few days later, and doing both is a bit of a stretch in the one year.

Temptation is to put a minimum install in to get the relevant grants while they are available, and at least make a start, and then use maybe something like a Shelly switch with home automation monitoring the PV output to control the (dual) immersion, as that's a lot cheaper than some of the immersion controllers that are being talked about.

The generator is causing some confusion, and I can't get a clear answer about how much I can feed in on 3 phase system, so I have some more homework to do, and it's not easy to get clarity on some of these issues.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Second one is OK, first one is very good. Better value in more panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ColmS29

Any recommendations for Kildare area. Bungalow. Min 6kw with battery. Have heat pump so no hot water required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Hello Folks, I have a stupid question. Do solar panels work when the (main) electricity fails? Can your hybrid PV installation work 'off grid' during power outages?

Simple answer is no but with a battery it can provide essential power for a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 jellybeans81

I'm looking for recommendations for solar PV companies in the South Tipperary area please? Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement