Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 [July 2022]

Options
  • 10-02-2022 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Looking forward to this... at least I've 6 months to finish 1 & 2!!!!

2 was a huge time sink when it first came out.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/xenoblade-chronicles-3-switch/

A vast world awaits in Xenoblade Chronicles 3, the next game in the acclaimed RPG series from developer MONOLITHSOFT. Players will step into the roles of protagonists Noah and Mio amid turmoil between the hostile nations of Keves and Agnus. Six characters hailing from those nations will take part in a grand tale with “life” as its central theme. Explore a new world that will connect the futures of both Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, launching for Nintendo Switch in September 2022.

Following yesterday's announcement trailer, Monolith executive director Tetsuya Takahashi has shared a few additional words about Xenoblade Chronicles 3.

Takahashi revealed that the trailer's closing scene showing a broken great sword of Mechonis and the body of the Urayan Titan with a gaping wound was conceived a long time ago. In fact, the seed for this image was initially planted between "the end of development of Xenoblade Chronicles and the beginning of development of Xenoblade Chronicles 2".

The director also acknowledged that this visual probably left views "quite surprised" and hints that more will be revealed about this mysterious image in the future. For now, though, its meaning must remain under wraps.

I know we are all more interested in the new incoming Smash characters 😉

Saw that it's on bestbuy for $59.99 pre-order already, so guessing going to be at least €60 here.

Post edited by Mr E on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 weent19

Some round! I was scrolling from the bottom up and was worried I didn't see Paddy. Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Release date moved up to 29th of July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

A nice looking SE with steel case and artbook too

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rosifly

How will we be able to order the SE? The UK and European MyNintendo sites don't accept Irish addresses, numbers or payment options :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My question is, do I have time then to more or less start again and finally finish Xenoblade Chronicles, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (and DLC) before the new one hits?

And will someone show me how the bloody combat works???

• Advertisement

If playing the first one on Switch, don't forget its extra content as well. 😀

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's really just a case of using your abilities at the right time. The most important being - inflict stagger, which makes the enemy vulnerable to topple and once they are under topple status you get massive damage increases. The Monado abilities also can give you iframes later on so can be used to avoid enemy attacks.

A lot of people just try to critical path the game and get mauled by the area boss. There seems to be damage scaling in these games where the closer you are in level to the enemy the more damage you do. You need to be at least 5 levels below an enemy to do any significant damage and maybe 2 levels below to be able to take them on comfortably. If you critical path to the area boss you will be underlevelled and do no damage.

People then think you have to grind enemies to get anywhere in the game but the xp gains from enemies are terrible. You get the majority of your xp from sidequests and discovering landmarks so just take every sidequest you can and go exploring and you will complete side quests naturally as you explore. It's like BotW in a way, more about exploration.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I understood parts of that, mostly the likes of "just" and "the"...

I'll give them a go... eventually

Don't have 2 and the dlc but still need to play the others. Even own the first on Wii and Switch. Some day.

2 definitely hasn't decreased in price. Might pick it up if it goes on sale again on the eshop.

• Advertisement

Something something wander about for 200 hours playing with your sword....

Sure you'll have another completely new and bonkers combat system to learn for this too!

Battle with up to seven characters: Like in previous Xenoblade Chronicles games, battles start by facing enemies directly in the overworld. Players can control Noah’s party of six, as well as additional characters they’ll meet during the adventure. Each character has their own role in battle, which allows for diverse strategies.

- Class change: Noah is a Swordfighter, specializing in close-range attacks, while Mio is a Zephyr, drawing enemy attention while evading their strikes. Thus, each character has their own class with their own strengths. Progressing in the adventure, players can change characters’ classes, creating a customized party.

- New Interlink system: Each of the tag-team pairs – Noah and Mio, Lanz and Sena, Eunie and Taion – can make use of the Interlink system if certain conditions are met. They will then combine into a giant form called Ouroboros. Each Ouroboros has its own powerful move set, and deciding when to transform can be the key to winning a battle.

Why can't they just slot in a dumb-ass mode for people like me, just AI control everyone else and let me fight like Link...

I'm not proud, I'm too old to learn esoteric combat systems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

This.

I played and sold XC2 as, even after 20 or so hours, I had no real clear idea how the combat system worked and I play JRPG's almost exclusively.

Bought XC1 not so long ago hoping that, it being the first in the series, I might find it easier but it's the same useless, button mashing, running around in circles, headless chicken type combat system.

XC3 will be a hard pass from me.

But they look so damn amazing!

I really wish I could get my head around it all.

I mean, I don't think I'm as thick as pig sh1te, but the games beg to differ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Honestly I find the battle system in these games one of the best JRPG battle systems of all time. There's a bit of a learning curve but there's a tutorial in every game that explains to you that what status to inflict on enemies and which to follow up with. There's a lot of nuance to it and it only gets better as you play more. If you think you can just auto attack and win then you will get no where. It's all about spamming the special attacks and knowing the best time to use each one.

Up for pre-order on Smyth's for 50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you are 18 and have just won the lottery, then yes.

Sadly I am 50 with a full time job...

I will just have to pass the task onto my son

You've not much time left. You really have to decide if you want to spend the majority of that playing Xenoblade.

• Advertisement

Maybe take chronic xenoblade chronicles deficit sick leave ?

This is true, but right now I'm wasting that valuable time playing Picross

As a former attendance officer in the hospital I work in, I don't think that is available as a reason for protracted absence

Since SuperBowserWorld suggested you would have time if you wee 18 and won the lottery. But anyway...

Didn't they do a special Direct for Xenoblade 2? So may be one for this as well to really confuse people not familiar with the battle system of previous games

This video showcases a new "quick move", which you can activate during combat to quickly holster your weapon and reposition yourself within the battlefield. This looks to greatly enhance your ability to set up position-based offensive attacks

you can seamlessly switch between characters on the fly, even during battle sequences. This will allow players to dive deeper into the already feature-rich combat system, allowing you to experiment with different characters' abilities in quick succession

Okay, so I will spend some time with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the Switch, see how I get on.

I also have the original on the 3DS, should I play that instead?

Either way, this is going to seriously eat into my Picross time... just to say that, there is always a cost to these things...

Maybe Picross can be what you play to take a short break. The same way people were suggesting going between Elden Ring and Kirby.

My understanding is Xenoblade Chronicles 1 on Switch first or maybe the 3DS or Wii version if you have it.

It's the much better game, more refined, and less chaotic and sprawling that 2 or X.

Just more approachable ...

• Advertisement

Cool, I'll dig out the 3DS copy I have.

I sold my Wii copy, with the controller, last week!

Advertisement