Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evergreen complete 4 in 1

Options
  • 20-04-2022 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Going buying some of this tomorrow to apply to my lawn.. any do's or don'ts for me before I begin..

Or anything better out there?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I used this last year and thought it was good. I noticed that I over applied in one area which turned the lawn black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Did it recover in the black area overtime?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi OP, it's a very good product, I use it annually, my Lawn prone to moss growth over winter months. It has the added benefit of controlling weeds also.

My advice, now the frost threat has receeded is to do a tight lawn cut first when lawn dry and collect clippings.

Now spread the 4 in One, I generally do this in the afternoon /evening, best avoid direct sun when spreading. Leave it for a day or 2, if it's dry, I'll hose lawn after two days, helps with soil absorbing the 4 in 1, you'll notice moss going black almost immediately.

With a leaf rake, loosen the dead moss around your lawn, the blackness you refer too is temporary. Be sure to spread evenly, no clumps as you'll damage lawn.

After a week, I would do the next lawn cut with box, this will remove loose and dead moss. Another good hosing of water and your done.

Avoid when applying.

Debri, loose clippings, clean lawn best when applying.

Frost (Wait until risk subsides)

Strong sun light, spread in late afternoon, evenings to avoid burning of healthy grass.

Drying out, after spreading, if there is no rain by day 2, I'd do a gentle hosing of water.

Late April best time and before weeds start to flower.

All of the above based on my experience of using the product over a number of years, finally watch out for special offers, outlets discount around now, 2 bags for a reduced price. If not using full bag, seal & store in dry place.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Excellent product but getting harder to find. I won't use anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Yea its very hard to find and getting more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I see woodies have it (I'd normally not use woodies as its ridiculously expensive but not to bad a price if your local branch has it €24.99

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is mobacter better?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It does more than mobacter and is a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Dazed2020

Are larger bags (cheaper by quantity) available? Or a similar formula marketed under a different name/brand in larger size?

I've only seen 400m² bags sold but looking for about 5 times that, which works pretty expensive if using every year.

If you want rid of moss get sulphate of iron and spray it on. If it's for weeds , weedol do a lawn weed spray. If for feed get 7-6-17 from an agri supplier. These branded products are too expensive for large areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Would 7-6-17 green up and bring on the grass like this complete stuff would?

Also if there is some weeds in the grass and 7-6-17 is applied wouldn't the weeds just stay?

Sulphur in 7-6-17 greens up. As does iron sulphate. Weeds don't get killed by fertilising. The weed killing power of Evergreen is fairly poor anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,143 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

When moss goes black is it best rake it out or is it OK to leave it and it go away itself?

Mixed reviews on that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well with mobacter it says 'no need to rake' and that's its main selling point

Mobactor is a very different product.

@The_Kew_Tour You can rake the blackened moss if you wish but I just leave it as there's too great an area to rake. For a small area I'd rake.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭galaxy12

Would recommend not using it in a new or a recently laid lawn .

Advertisement