Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daily pv production

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

First perfect day of the year I believe, not a cloud in sight 😁

I think it tops out at around 48kwh in the middle of summer, not bad for April.

Tried my best but still lost 7kwh to the man, shame the car was full and batteries at 70% from the other day, put 15kwh into a fan heater just because why not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

32.1kWh today; new record 😎

Came close a new times but had never managed to break 30kWh barrier since install last Sept.

Managed to use nearly all of it too; exported only 0.6kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭harderthanf

Best day this year.

• Generated: 44.5kwh.
    • 31.8kwh into the car
    • 2.6Kwh into hot water
    • Exported a little over 500W.

Wexford. 6.8wp.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭septicsac

48.2 kw today, no record for my 7.8kw panels, exported almost 60%, as no one home most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

First full day production for a DIY 7.5kwh system

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Re comments on good for April but expecting more in Summer, April/May are the peak months in Ireland I would have thought due to cooler panels

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭connesha

Record day since install

49.8 kWh… if only another 0.2kWh…

Used 40kWh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Like everyone else....smashed my previous record of 21.38Kwhr today, by a considerable margin.

Tomorrow is looking at ~80% of the generation today by all accounts from Met.ie (which is proving to be pretty accurate .... at least for Dublin)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

What are the concrete numbers? This gets bandied around off the cuff everywhere and I've yet to see some hard data proving it's any more than a red herring for Ireland.

My "gut feeling" is that it's true. Today I had the highest production ever for a single day. Perfect curves for both arrays, maxing out at 3528 watts. Yet, if you look at my figures for yesterday....(which was cooler)

Production up in the 4200-4300 watt range. Ok, perhaps there was some particulates in the atmosphere, but I'd be more inclined to think temperature is a factor. So like you mp3guy I'd like to see data to back it up, my hunch is that there's probably something to it alright. We'll know end of year anyway with our community data collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Finished on 31.1kWh today.

11.5 - battery

8.75 - Zappi

1.5 - Eddi

The rest used up by many loads of washing and drying.

Exported 0.6kWh, much to my disgust. There was space in the immersion but the system sometimes doesn't react quickly enough.

As for peak months, this was last year's total. May the best month, followed by July, June, April.

April this year has so far been poor compared to last year, although today and the next week may rescue the average numbers a bit. Totalled 641 last April, only 312 so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Will ya look at that curve? 26.1 produced, 0.8 exported. 9 kWh went into the car. 3 loads of washing, oven dinner ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭mp3guy

This paper has some data: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/325990738.pdf and this article has a summary: https://www.cedgreentech.com/article/how-does-heat-affect-solar-panel-efficiencies#:~:text=Photovoltaic%20modules%20are%20tested%20at,voltage%20output%20is%20reduced%20linearly.. Wikipedia says roughly 0.5% efficiency loss for every 1 degree hotter than ideal. Looking at my panel's datasheet, I should expect 0.47% efficiency drop per degree C with a nominal operating module temperature of 46 degree C. So the question is, what's the actual module temperature on a day like today? Clearly not air temperature, but would it be as hot (or hotter?) than tarmac or another black surface? I think without measuring the actual module temperature and thus being able to remove the unknowns around moisture, wind etc... it's too hand wavey to say "must be because it's a cool day today", especially with the equally as hand wavey "must be some high altitude clouds today". I have a thermal camera, might point it at the modules tomorrow, though I'm not sure it will work due to the reflectivity.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Temperature plays a decent part, June is my peak, it clips in may/June where it doesn't clip in July.

Measuring cell temp would be difficult unless you stuck an actual probe on them.

May is peak for me, will also be dependent on orientation I'd imagine

Gotta love estimates for Ireland

Course that could be explained that that specific May was stellar (weather wise) compared to June. That said, like you slave I'm generally of the belief that May is a more productive month than June/July due to the slightly lower temperatures, but just calling out that to "prove it" you'd need a good few years as well as different parts of Ireland, but yeah, I think it's probably true.

That said, for most of us, me not included :-( May/June/July are months where we are exporting to the grid our excess, it's sort of a moot point of just a few % points in the difference!

But interesting nevertheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭championc

My total for May in both 2020 and 2021 exceeded all other months of the year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Didn't think I'd top yesterday's total today, but I did.

Wednesday - 31.1

Thursday - 32.7

And check out the forecast...

So in the last 2 days, 63.8kWh generated, 0.4kWh purchased, 0.6kWh exported.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

An unexpected 30kWh today. Forecast.solar was only predicting 13kWh. Solcast was a bit closer with 24kWh.

• Advertisement

Estimating 16kwh for tomorrow, let's hope it ends up at at 37 again, April needs to catch up big time 😁

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Pretty cloudy in Dublin so far

Miserable cloudy day in the midlands, no sign of the sun to break through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I was thinking I was behind in production from epic March myself, so I did a little graph to see, and as it turns out I am ahead by about 100 kWh, but it doesn't feel like it..... Now the only caveat is the last 7 days in March were epic days as you can see from the graph at the bottom. I don't think we will get a run of 7 days like that, so there could be a chance I could finish less than March.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

Course another way to look at it, is the first 5-6 days in March were matching the first 5-6 days in April (which had longer days), so you it makes you think how good those days in March were (or how poor Aprils are I guess)

That array you have is mint ECO. You regularly churn out 30+ days. My all-time high is 27.01Kwhr. I'm going to have to plaster my shed with half dozen panels - LOL !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

3.24kw system

Generated 16 kW yesterday.

Used 2 kW from grid and 3kw on night rate

If only these were sustainable on a 4kwp and 3kwp string 😁

Went to 7999w at one point, so Hanwa didn't lie about the Qcells boosting over 10% past rated values.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Haven't hit the highs of March yet this month and not a clear day to be had in the Midlands so far, car is fully charge so I'll be pumping most of it back anyway.

Will be a couple of month before I see the new batteries on the slow boat from China as well. Even using four electric radiators I'll not use half of it and I'll be using them less now temps are picking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭tnegun

What a day we should finish up about 26 kWh for the day on a 4.2kWp install. It was the best day since installation last November and also broke the 1MWh total generation today too! Added bonus in that we managed to use it all too, busy day with kids playing sports so there was 4 or 5 showers and 13kWh captured by the eddi, the rest did 4 loads of washing, ran 2 drier loads and cooked the dinner only pulled 5kWh from the grid since midnight too.

Advertisement