Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Wrestling Thoughts (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Jesus that Lance Storm one is rough 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

One of the best storylines that WWE did from start to finish. WWE wishes it was this interesting now.

So many wrestling fans live in the past

Danhausen is worse than anything WWE has ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I wouldn't go that far though I will say I don't get him.

• Advertisement

I'm totally lost.

Even Cornette seems to have time for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Cornette doesn't want to see him wrestle but has an appreciation for the sheer effort put into the character.

AEW was a strange one for him as I think Vince could have turned him into an absolute merchandise machine. The WWE twitter page even referenced him before AEW signed him which made me think he caught someone's eye.

I can only assume he got stage fright because if anyone can make millions from a non wrestling character it's WWE, even if it was just chasing the 24/7 title.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,164 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Ken Shamrock was cool as fúck.

Rock and Austin were always 1 and 2 for young me but Shamrock was 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ken Shamrock was the man. His UFC exploits gave him legitimacy as a tough dude. Its weird tho as he was booked strong from the start but it always felt like he did less than what he should have done.

In 98 fueding with the rock, you would have thought he would get the world title at some point. The proverbial rocket is being strapped to his back and you can see his trajectory.

But in 99 he was in the corporation - not at bad spot but felt like his momentum was eased off. Then asked for his release later that year to go back to MMA. With the power of hindsight it was a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I think JR said in his book that Shamrock struggled with pressure and was known to disappear at times so they never made him the guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I hope we get Broken Skulls Session with The Rock at some point.

Steve has gone on record that Rock schedule way too busy to do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

One of the enduring rivalries in modern wrestling. Unlike a lot of wrestling enemies, I've never seen Lawler and Funk come out and say that they're in fact really good friends. They probably are, but I've not seen them say it.

The above is what conversational wrestling promos should be. Two guys shooting from the hip and cutting across one another, rather than waiting patiently while the other guy recites his bit of the script, which generally looks phony as s**t.

The empty arena match in the mid south coliseum is brilliant.

Watched Peacemaker. Cena is very good.

One of the better hero things in a world fúcking polluted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Cena has smashed it in all he has been in. I've really enjoy so many movies that he has been in. In a world now full of dud blockbusters he has driven some rock solid movies Blockers, Trainwreak, Bumblebee and Suicide Squad are all flicks I'd happily view a number of times again. Bit like The Rock he is also wholly entertaining when he's "doing the talkshows". Witty, self deprecating and has a wealth of interesting stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

(heard this joke from someone else) But what is the most devastating finisher in all of professional wrestling?

... the schoolboy. Lol.

When you look back over all the decades of wrestling.... of all the moves, so many have gotten pinned from the basic schoolboy lmao.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,251 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

WWE should bring back the mixed tag challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭ThePott

Apparently the Super J-Cast guys (who broke the Forbidden Door show) said in their discussion about Kushida that other people wanted to go back to NJPW when their contract expired and Balor was one of them.

• Advertisement

Do money marks all now aspire to be a conrad and believe they are best friends with wrestlers because they spend so much money on wrestlers

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

From the crowd numbers tonight at the the Kurt Angle inside the ropes event in Dublin and from previous shows you can pretty much say there's definitely a decent wrestling fan base in Ireland for all promotions and a lot of negativity around some wrestling related threads is a little unwarranted

Can see a decent number of irish fans travel over to Cardiff in September and for future big UK/Euro events. Lots of irish fans travel further afield to the big ones

• Registered Users Posts: 31,631 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Probably true - though you do have to bring in the nostalgia factor. Like, even when I was a lapsed fan (for close to 20 years) I'd have been well up for heading to a Kurt Angle event, as he was such a big character right at the time I was most into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Gonna have to check that definition of money mark again there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So, because Kurt angle sold less than 300 tickets, WWE isn't a creative shitshow and thousands of Irish fans will flock to Cardiff?

That's an interesting take.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That Cardiff show will sell out in rapid time. No question.

Here's one given the week that's in it. I hope no wrestler stays in AEW for 20 years as an active roster member.

That Cardiff show will sell 900 tickets, max. Don't let the bots fool you.

It's funny how the internet think the real world will go along with their ideas.

Regular people are just gonna go to a big event for a night/weekend.

But what the internet think people will think: "Nah, not going mate. They're not pushing Mustafa Ali correctly. Their creative process is frankly insulting. Also, did you hear that there was only 26 minutes and 13 seconds of wrestling on Raw this week? Obviously I don't watch it but Dave said so."

• Advertisement

Big difference in running a stadium show in a historically receptive market where the last stadium show has gone down in folklore as one of the best shows the company has ever run with the killer Bret/Bulldog main event and saying that the awful product hasn't resulted in declining ticket sales, particularly in certain markets, when the evidence is clearly there for all to see that, that is the case. While their big shows, Wrestlemania, Royal Rumble and Summerslam still draw on the strength alone of those individual brands, you only need look at the ticket sales for their most recent MSG show which was heavily promoted on TV and given the Brock bump too to see the struggles they are having in their home market.

Though equally this is no longer a company that lives and dies by live attendance, to the point where they could literally have sold not a single ticket last year and it would still rank among the very best years the company has ever had financially through their TV deals, Peacock deal and Saudi Arabia shows.

Advertisement