Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukrainian refugees in Ireland - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,890 ✭✭✭✭zell12

At least there is a public transport positive

Department of Transport has today announced emergency bus services for Ukrainian refugees placed in rural areas. It will fast-track a series of network improvements including extra bus stops, route changes and more services.. the NTA will provide supplementary transport connections to local centres. "As we continue to welcome individuals and families arriving in Ireland from Ukraine, a once-off Community Transport Fund will also be established to support occasional social travel requests." https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2022/0421/1293435-ireland-ukraine/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

So who's benchmark would you like us to work off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

She not though, she's just massively massively out of her depth

• Registered Users Posts: 28,845 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The notion that this woman could be a future leader of FG (just like Leo she's all spin and trend following populism, but extremely short on actual results as any listen to the news headlines on the latest killing/attack will tell you), or worse potentially a future Taoiseach is a very worrying thought.

It's not impossible either unfortunately. Leo managed it after all and she's most definitely cut from the same cloth.

Dunno why you quoted me to add all that. Not that I disagree with you, but it could have been added without quoting me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

She is but at least Varadkar has some kind of intellectual capacity. She’s a complete dimwit. Baffles me how Varadkars clipboard holder can now be “Justice minister”. She’s never had an original thought in her life. She’s not even a good communicator which on some level Varadkar is.

which is breed an extreme level of resentment and anger that she and her gang are not accustomed to.

You're joking right? Irish politicians went through the Banking crash, which resulted in people losing homes, and savings.. and who was punished? Nobody. Not one politician was held accountable or made to pay in any shape or form.

Our politicians know that they can get away with murder.. because the attention spans or sense of outrage of the electorate is rather short. In any case, what's the worst that might happen? Not be voted in for a few years, while people move on to other problems?

Nah. McEntee will push and push per her agenda. It's no different from the push to blame all men for violence in Ireland. She's perfectly aware that she will never be held personally accountable for what comes from it. There is zero accountability among our political system.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,976 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Forcefully taking property off people is a different kettle of fish though. If they try that, I'd hope people would push back instead of bending over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I suspect that when she says force, she means strongly coerce, as many point out property rights are quite strong in this country. It would only happen if the conflict broadened and a state of emergency could justifiably be enacted.

So in the absence of that you could see things like fair deal being amended or sports capital grants being tied to use of community halls. There are endless ways the state could use the resources it has to get additional capacity without resorting to requisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Shameful by our government to pay people to house refugees, people who offered to house them for free. So much for a good gesture.... Not so good when you're getting money out of it!

But it's typical of this government. Giving out about SF and their budgets yet they themselves seem to have found a money tree.

Really sickening to see our government pull out all stops for foreign citizens. Where are they for the Irish? We've had emergencies in housing health and childcare and they've made no improvements. Zero!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

If the British do invade good luck trying to get to Nigeria.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

Isn’t that how a bulletin board works? One reads through posts when they have time and when they reach a post that resonates with them, they respond. But I will defer from quoting you in the future (after this one).

The Irish government has been an abject failure with this Ukrainian crisis. The communication from them is appalling. When the leader of our government proclaims to the country and more importantly to the world, that we should expect 200K+ refugees, and then talks about this number on British television soon after, we all should have known that he was blowing smoke.

How many Ukrainian refugees are there now in Ireland? 20K? 1/10th of what Michael Martin promised. So many functions are outsourced to NGOs in Ireland, he probably thought that the people of Ireland would magically absorb his unrealistic expectations. We are now in a situation where refugees are being accommodated in an equestrian centre in north Cork.

The abject incompetence of this coalition government is currently in full display for the whole world to see. What they will break in order to look competent is yet to be experienced. Have you seen the latest reports (today) on record trolley patients in Limerick, record deferred elective procedures in other hospitals, inordinate multiple year-long waiting times for children-specific surgeries, and of course the abhorrent under-resourced mental health services that exists in Ireland. But yes, let’s add another 200,000+ people to the mix. Sur, what could go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I absolutely applaud anyone who takes a refugee into their home because having rented throughout college, it is a fraught situation to share a roof with strangers. These refugees some will have no English, they’ll need so much support to settle in, and I’d imagine all will be traumatised. How long do they stay? What happens if you don’t get along? And then there’s that emotional connection to what their family and friends left behind are going through each day. But for me most importantly it’s just a matter of having my own space. So, I certainly couldn’t and wouldn’t take in refugees to my home, instead I donate what I can to the various organisations to help in a way that works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Ours, that the wellbeing of Irish citizens and taxpayers are not compromised by rapidly increasing population.

there are 27 countries in the EU.. Ireland is only behind Luxembourg as relates to growth rate of our population which is about 1.2% per year… which over a decade and beyond is scary..

I think the families accepted people to help and good on em… challenging no doubt, but that was to be expected. ‘ unable to cope ‘ is not surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

This is great and all but why the change? Rural area public transport has been **** since forever. Ukrainians are special that we're able to solve our rural transport issues just like that but could never do this in the past?

I'm all for supporting our Ukrainian brothers and sisters in this awful time but what has changed that our citizens were never important in the past?

Isn’t that how a bulletin board works? One reads through posts when they have time and when they reach a post that resonates with them, they respond. But I will defer from quoting you in the future (after this one).

Oh, it's fine to quote me. I was just a little confused since you didn't add to what I wrote about seizing properties, or counter it. All cleared up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They’re in our monthly pay packets ravaging as much as possible to pay for the whole farce that you and never see any benefit from

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I know a homeless guy who has been moved out of his hostel to another town, far from the hospital he has to go to for medical treatment and he'll have no money for 2 weeks as his post office is moving to the other town.

Ukrainians are going into where he was living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Ah lads, you can be all for virtue and diversity and quotas and that but what the hell is this one doing at the cabinet? What have things become? Just listen to her for heaven's sake. A pure twitter lovie at the DoJ top table. How we've arrived here I don't know

• Advertisement

Thanks for bringing the story to our attention.

The Indo reporting this morning that households could be paid up to 400 a month if they take in refugees to help cover the added utility costs but also to encourage more to volunteer.

Red Cross says that more than half of the initial offers have fallen through with less than 200 people successfully placed so far, yet Micheal Martin insisting that we are not considering caps on arrivals despite them now ending up in halls and community centres.

At this point, we have to ask what is really going on here. We are clearly not able to sustain the numbers that are already arriving, let alone even more, but the government is insisting there'll be no limits set.

Is it simply Micheal and Co not wanting to lose face on the international stage after the initial kneejerk "we will take them!" reaction? Are they under pressure from the EU to keep the doors open? Is it part of the stated goal of increasing the population significantly by 2040?

I'm starting to think there's something more to it than just altruism given that the reality vs the pronouncements, and now the suggestion of paying people in order to keep taking refugees in.

400 euro a month...this government just never want to be outdone by the Brits do they...

Why on earth would they be getting 400 euro a month tax free? The only extra costs will be a little bit of electricity for showers. The heating bill is unaffected. Most of the electricity bill is unaffected.

This is a money grab and once again it's homeowners who are benefitting from it. The rich getting richer. And no doubt they'll be taking some of the Ukrainians dole too!

Never seen a more populist government to throw around money willy nilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It makes no sense whatsoever. Moving Ukrainians from one **** situation (processing tents in Poland etc) to another (living in tents in Ireland), much further away. There has to be something else going on in the background. Hopefully a whistleblower comes out and lets us know.

Yes. Thank God for the Red Cross. Great to see where our donations go. Fair play to the department of social protection for speeding up welfare payments, so the refugees can buy their own supplies. Remember, about 8,000 are staying with relatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Sorry, you think you could move another family into your house and there would be no extra cost apart from "showers"? 😂

You didn't think it through before making that statement did you?

I just want to know where FG and the others have found the Magic Money Tree that is going to pay for this added welfare cost, handouts to homeowners, payments to hotels, sports centres and other locations - and that's only to accommodate the ones who have already arrived! Where is the money coming from to pay for the next batch of arrivals? Are we not in the middle of a fuel cost crisis and costs of living crisis? Do we not already have a housing and healthcare crisis?

It doesn't add up. We are already overstretched by "doing our part". How are we going to sustain more?

Please explain all these extra costs? Remember the refugees are getting dole and will be handing over money for food/costs already!

Now you know why the ECB refuse to raise interest rates. Scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yes the refugee's will be entitled to social welfare payments. There is no obligation on them though to hand any money over to their hosts for food etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement